SCW mosin in wartime stock?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NLMosin

SCW mosin in wartime stock?

Post by NLMosin »

Is it unusual for a SCW mosin to be in a wartime stock? I dont know much about the SCW or about what happened to the mosins after the war was over...Anyone shed a little light? thanks!
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: SCW mosin in wartime stock?

Post by Miller Tyme »

It has been bubba'ed, war time stocks didn't appear until 42, and the Spanish didn't receive any rifles from Russia after early 1938
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

The Soviet union supplied arms through 1937, therefore any parts from a rifle later than that will not be original and put on here in the US. Remember these rifles have been here in the US for over 50 years so the likelihood of being repaired with later parts is high.
Kollaa kestää
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Lots of them had their stocks sporterized, somone probably replaced it. That's IF really an SCW rifle to begin with.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

With no import mark, brass hand gaurd caps, wire rear sling hanger, and no pins on the rear sight could it still be a garden variety mosin or would it lean to SCW?
People live together.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

With the stock being incorrect, I'd likely count out the hand guard as well though it would really depend. What year is the barrel on the rifle? Certain years have a much higher likelihood, especially within certain serial ranges. No extra pin in the rear sight could be SCW or it could just as easily be a Finn captured or even one the Russians missed during refurb. The sling hangers could be a good indicator, it just depends on what they look like. A number of different countries used hangers.

If you've got photos, they'd help quite a bit in the identification..
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I took a chance on it because the price was ok. You cant get it right every time I guess...try not to beat up on me too bad... :oops:
37wartime1.jpg
37wartime2.jpg
37wartime4.jpg
37wartime5.jpg
37wartime6.jpg
37wartime7.jpg
37wartime8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
People live together.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

The action could be of SCW lineage, the S/Nis in the range, the sling hangers could also be Balkan, which would better explain the stock on that rifle.
But at the end of the Day it just screams of stock replacement stateside.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I think someone stuck a balkan stock on it. Do you have a picture of the rear top of the receiver? The receiver is a stepped tang one, I'm guessing the stock is inletted for an unstepped one. There would be a gap between wood and the receiver if thats so.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I appreciate you guys taking the time to look this one over. Thanks!
37wartime9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
People live together.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

So even if the serial number is within the scw range it may have not gone to Spain?

I think it very interesting that it has the right rear sight to be scw, it has no import mark and it got here before the import rules went into effect in the 60's like the scw rifles did. Its the only mosin that I have that has no import mark. I was sure hoping that meant scw... :cry:

Can I ask about the balkin stock? How can you tell? I was thinking after you guys mentioned it that the rear sling hanger was probably taken off the original stock and put on the replacement...just a thought.
People live together.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

It could very well be SCW, just one with the stock replaced. The Romanian/balkan imports included well used 91/30s though most I've seen were refurbed before that heavy use. Some of the mosins had wire hangers or it could have been switched over like you said.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

NLMosin wrote:So even if the serial number is within the scw range it may have not gone to Spain?

I think it very interesting that it has the right rear sight to be scw, it has no import mark and it got here before the import rules went into effect in the 60's like the scw rifles did. Its the only mosin that I have that has no import mark. I was sure hoping that meant scw... :cry:

Nobody is saying the action isn't possibly from A SCW rifle, it may well be even though there is nothing to nail it down 100%. That said the stock is definitely NOT the original stock to that rifle and is definitely NOT from any SCW rifle since that type of stock went into production in late 41/early 42. The SCW ended in 1939 and Spain never purchased any MN rifles or parts post SCW.

The stock was swapped out stateside for reasons unkown.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Miller Tyme wrote:
Nobody is saying the action isn't possibly from A SCW rifle, it may well be even though there is nothing to nail it down 100%. That said the stock is definitely NOT the original stock to that rifle and is definitely NOT from any SCW rifle since that type of stock went into production in late 41/early 42. The SCW ended in 1939 and Spain never purchased any MN rifles or parts post SCW.

The stock was swapped out stateside for reasons unkown.
Thanks Miller Tyme.

If there is no "Made in USSR" on the action would that definetly rule out SCW? I am just wondering if its something I want to keep in my collection or pass it on...
racerguy00 wrote:It could very well be SCW, just one with the stock replaced. The Romanian/balkan imports included well used 91/30s though most I've seen were refurbed before that heavy use. Some of the mosins had wire hangers or it could have been switched over like you said.
Thanks racerguy00.
People live together.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

It appears that the majority of SCW do not have the made in ussr stamp.

Keep the rifle based of if you like it and not what its worth or whether others appreciate it.
Kollaa kestää
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Lee-online wrote:
Keep the rifle based of if you like it and not what its worth or whether others appreciate it.
Wise words...At some point though I will be trading up some of the more common ones for the harder to find ones...that's why I ask so many questions... :oops:
People live together.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I have seen a lot SCW mosins including some in Spanish made stocks etc that had no USSR stamp. It seems only a portion were marked. Also check the wood where the rear tang sits and if there's an arsenal and date impression from another rifle there.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

No impression there but that would have been a great piece of sleuthing if it panned out!

This one is covered with markings all over...
37izhev (1).jpg
37izhev (2).jpg
37izhev (4).jpg
37izhev (5).jpg
37izhev (7).jpg
37izhev (8).jpg
37izhev (9).jpg
37izhev (11).jpg
People live together.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I have noticed 1936/37 scw seem to have that [3] or is it a [8] above the crest. I just looked at some of mine and scw have it but the Finns and refurbs don't.

Has anyone done any research into this mark?

Kollaa kestää
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I have a Made in USSR stamped 37 SCW. It does not have the 8 (or 3.) That's a new one on me but may be common???