Polish mosin 22 training rifle

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ksbanker

Re: Polish mosin 22 training rifle

Post by ksbanker »

zeebill wrote:This rifle is a perfect rifle for teaching a beginner to shoot without having them shoot a million rounds and wasting your time when all they want is to mindlessly blast away valuable and costly ammo. It is great for making them take their time and teaching proper technique being a single shot rifle. I remember many years ago when they first showed up on the Gibbs rifle site for 3 for $150 I bought one and liked it so much they did me a favor and sent me two more for the special price. I kept the best shooter of the lot and eventually sold the other two for much over my buying price. We have a couple at shows from time to time too. Nice little rifle and easy to shoot well too! Bill :D

l got it out this weekend and it is a great shooting rifle! I used it to help a couple of my friends kids shoot for the first time this weekend. They are 6 and 9 and kept asking before they shot, "Does it kick!? Does it kick!?" They were addicted after the first shot! They were able to hit easily after a few shots and quickly understood the loading and firing process.

Couldn't be any happier with that rifle. Very accurate to the max range I tried which was about 75 yrds. Had a couple 4" x 6" steel targets. What great fun!
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

Got mine today and everything matches. I need to charge up my camera so pictures will follow but I am super pleased with what they sent.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Picked mine up from the FFL last night & I really couldn't be happier. Numbers matching & the bore is sparkling. Real minimal cleaning last night before I take her out to the range this morning to see what she can do. Hell of a deal for $194 shipped!
[URL=http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Fantastic!!! Better than mine! I'm sure you will love shooting it!
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

locomotiveguy wrote:Got mine today and everything matches. I need to charge up my camera so pictures will follow but I am super pleased with what they sent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Very nice locomotiveguy! :thumbsup:
vandeda

Post by vandeda »

I'll post this here too. I decided to order one too after these came in pretty nice. When I started cleaning it, it clearly had some thick grease on it (you can still seem some on the lower half of the chamber). Once I cleaned it up, I realized this grease also covered some serious dry firing damage. Please check these real careful and bring a rag to wipe out the chamber. As you can see in the picture, it's not peened, but instead has a deep groove/gouge worn in it (it was filled with grease when I got it, some of which you can still see in the picture). I'm not sure if this thing is even safe to fire.

IMG_2790.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vandeda

Post by vandeda »

I got a better picture of the chamber. It's probably about 1/16" deep where the pin strikes. It's such a shame because if it weren't for that, it'd be a great rifle in really nice shape :-/

ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Sorry yours turned out that way! I'd still probably shoot it and see what happens. But thats just me. I was tempted to order another one of those while they are around.
~Sir Winston Churchill
vandeda

Post by vandeda »

You wouldn't worry about the case splitting?

It really is a shame, the rest of the rifle is in nice shape and the bore is fantastic (looks like they never shot it, just dry fired it ... thousands and thousands of times).
vandeda

Post by vandeda »

I spoke to Bud's. They are sending a replacement. Let's hope the replacement cosmetically looks as nice, but is functionally sound.
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Only one way to find out!

Thats a good result. I'm glad Bud's is taking care of it. Hopefully the new one is better!
~Sir Winston Churchill
vandeda

Post by vandeda »

I don't know ... just didn't seem worth it. If I'm letting a friend try it and that's the time a case decides to split (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... y-trainer/) ... I too hope the new one is better ... or I should say, I hope it's overall condition is the same but with a good chamber, I will be thrilled :)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You are right in your decision to not shoot it. Any time there are obvious faults you have shown here is a huge red flag.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!