NOTICE...ATF CHANGES IT'S MIND

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Vendetta

Re: NOTICE...ATF CHANGES IT'S MIND

Post by Vendetta »

FineRedMist wrote:
Vendetta wrote:Y so mad?
No reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair enough.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Am I the only guy in the US that doesn't care about AR's one way or the other and has no desire to own one ? :beek: For the $$ needed I can get 2 or more nice MilSurps. :D
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

JoeR wrote:Am I the only guy in the US that doesn't care about AR's one way or the other and has no desire to own one ? :beek: For the $$ needed I can get 2 or more nice MilSurps. :D
No Joe you're not alone. I don't own one but that's mainly because I just haven't gotten to it yet. I've always wanted one just because I want one of every firearm but as with most of them, it's on the list. Funny thing is I actually own a Wheeler Delta Series Master AR Armorer's kit but don't own an AR, lol. My mother saw it on sale somewhere and just bought it for me. I told her "Thanks mom, I don't own an AR but I will some day" Gotta love that though.
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

Maybe. I have little interest right now in an AR, but I'd sure like something M14ish, an SKS, or one of those 54r semis...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

JoeR wrote:Am I the only guy in the US that doesn't care about AR's one way or the other and has no desire to own one ? :beek: For the $$ needed I can get 2 or more nice MilSurps. :D
No, you are not alone. Last year, during the last big,"Obama is coming for my guns", panic, I sold my last semi-auto, center-fire, removable mag, "military style" rifle, (excepting my SVT-40) for an amazing price, to finance about three milsurps. I don't miss it, and I don't see me ever replacing it. I may have, belatedly, matured enough to enjoy my shooting one carefully aimed shot at the time. Since I don't intend to join anyone's jihad, or anti-jihad, revolution, counter-revolution, freedom-fight, or I don't intend to participate in the zombie apocalypse, or any SHFT scenario, I am happy with my one-at-a-time lead throwing rifles. The only modern guns I retain are .22 rifles, traditional shot-guns and my "self-protection" pistols: :popgun:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

I was on the fence about an AR, but wanted something cost effective that will work for more than paper or small game. .223/5.56 is too little, .458 is too expensive, and a .308/7.62NATO adds up quickly. An AK47 fit the bill. Cheap ammo, classic design with wood furniture, cheap ammo in between 5.56/7.62 NATO power, and banana mags.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Not all people like the same thing. That's the point here. You get what "YOU" like. And I'd rather see someone decking out a AR then hacking up a military surplus rifle. I own one AR, and that is my "protest" gun here in CA. They told us at one time we could not have one, So I bought it. My only semi modern rifle and my policy is, If I buy a firearm I never sell it. So I still have it. Brand new, never been fired for over 5 years. But when they tried to take it here this last year, they also included in the ban my M1 carbine and SVT40. So if we don't stick together on things like this, they will split us up.

Maybe a AR is not your cup of tea, OK. That's your choice ..... not anyone else. You get what you like, not what everyone else is getting. Mosin collectors should know that better then anyone (almost).

Dolk

I'm moving this out of the "Mosin Collectable" forum.
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

Dolk, I never said I was nor do I have any intentions to hack up any gun, milsurp or not. Just adding an option to an AR for less money that often gets overlooked.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Brake Weight wrote:Dolk, I never said I was nor do I have any intentions to hack up any gun, milsurp or not. Just adding an option to an AR for less money that often gets overlooked.
Relax .....I did not say you were. In fact, I wasn't even making any reference to you at all.

It's just that some people put down others firearms because it is not what "THEY" would have bough or even done with a rifle. Some rifle (mostly modern) were made to be "messed with" such as a AR. Again.....not my cup of tea .... but .....I certainly understand others desires to do that. Relax, I am just saying on a firearm like this (non-preservation type), It's fine to do that.

Now, if they were taking "MY" money from my milsurp fund, then they would die. :shock: :D

Dolk
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

Cheeseburger………

I see why the ATF did this, personally. I was at the LGS two weeks ago, and they were selling wrist braces as a way to, and I quote, "get around the SBR laws".

The SBR and SBS laws make no sense anyway, but they are laws. Stupid laws because a Glock with several snail drums is more easily concealable than an AR with several magazines. And more practical up close.
Ugh, laws and reason. Why won't you just kiss and make friends already??
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
gurn

Post by gurn »

dolk, your new avatar hamburger pic makes me hungry.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, guess what I am going to go across the street and get ....
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Post by gurn »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Yea, guess what I am going to go across the street and get ....
How about some pics of the food you get from there? Always sounds good.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You should have asked earlier, I ate it while running the loader moving snow, it wasn't around long :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

rayjd2 wrote:Cheeseburger………

I see why the ATF did this, personally. I was at the LGS two weeks ago, and they were selling wrist braces as a way to, and I quote, "get around the SBR laws".
That's what we get from idiots who can't keep their thoughts to themselves. Don't tell people when you intend to flaunt the law, no matter how stupid the law may be.

As for me, no AR. Maybe an M1 just for the heck of it. Got an AKM and Yugo 59/66 SKS to keep me entertained. Ought to buy some blanks for the SKS and grenade related stuff while they're available.
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

I wasn't trying to circumvent the law, the shop owner was telling customers that tidbit. Just by the way.
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

I like AR's and I like my milsurps too. I have 4 AR's and two AR lowers in the safe, one of which is an AR pistol with the Sig brace. I have my concealed carry license, and the Sig brace was a game changer for me. With an AR pistol I can legally conceal carry it in over 30 states with resprocity with West Virginia. With an SBR I can't do that, I have to ask permission from the ATF to cross state lines with an SBR. Secondly, I don't have to pay Uncle Sam and get his permission for an AR pistol whereas I do with an SBR. To me there are a lot of pro's for an AR pistol, especially considering the addition of a Sig brace but those are my two main ones.

I'll be keeping mine, after all, it's still a pistol that just happens to have a Sig brace on it. If another madness ever happens I'll probably move it down the road, but then again all of my AR's but one would get moved on to a new home. I enjoy shooting my AR's. They're easy on the shoulder in between shooting strings with the boom sticks.

My problem with the ATF's redefinition is that if I were to remove my Sig brace from my pistol and use it as a paperweight would they also interpret that as me "redesigning" the Sig brace? The ATF's playing with words and definitions is preposterous, but they've been doing it forever. Look at what the ATF is trying to do with 80% receivers. As stated, the law is the law, but hopefully one of these years these stupid laws that do nothing other than make people feel good but do nothing will get overturned. I find it amusing that instead of a new law being made or an existing law changed, the ATF just issues another statement and interpretation of their position to make something "unlawful".
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

RazorBurn wrote: I like AR's and I like my milsurps too. I have 4 AR's and two AR lowers in the safe, one of which is an AR pistol with the Sig brace. I have my concealed carry license, and the Sig brace was a game changer for me. With an AR pistol I can legally conceal carry it in over 30 states with resprocity with West Virginia. With an SBR I can't do that, I have to ask permission from the ATF to cross state lines with an SBR. Secondly, I don't have to pay Uncle Sam and get his permission for an AR pistol whereas I do with an SBR. To me there are a lot of pro's for an AR pistol, especially considering the addition of a Sig brace but those are my two main ones.
This confuses me a little bit. When I looked at the Beretta 92FS at a LGS, the guy praised it as an awesome range gun but said, "That kind of full-size service pistol just doesn't have any concealed carry value." The magazines of most of the AR/AK pistols I've seen are as bulky as a loaded 92FS, and an attached brace that needs to be Velcroed to one's arm doesn't seem to lend itself to concealed carry either. Is it a plus for you that you *can* legally carry it concealed, or is there some realistic possibility that you will?

RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

FineRedMist wrote:
RazorBurn wrote: I like AR's and I like my milsurps too. I have 4 AR's and two AR lowers in the safe, one of which is an AR pistol with the Sig brace. I have my concealed carry license, and the Sig brace was a game changer for me. With an AR pistol I can legally conceal carry it in over 30 states with resprocity with West Virginia. With an SBR I can't do that, I have to ask permission from the ATF to cross state lines with an SBR. Secondly, I don't have to pay Uncle Sam and get his permission for an AR pistol whereas I do with an SBR. To me there are a lot of pro's for an AR pistol, especially considering the addition of a Sig brace but those are my two main ones.
This confuses me a little bit. When I looked at the Beretta 92FS at a LGS, the guy praised it as an awesome range gun but said, "That kind of full-size service pistol just doesn't have any concealed carry value." The magazines of most of the AR/AK pistols I've seen are as bulky as a loaded 92FS, and an attached brace that needs to be Velcroed to one's arm doesn't seem to lend itself to concealed carry either. Is it a plus for you that you *can* legally carry it concealed, or is there some realistic possibility that you will?

There is no requirement to shoot an AR pistol with a Sig brace with it velcroed to your arm, it's just not "legal" to shoot it from your shoulder using the brace as a buttstock. I can shoot it however I wish in the eyes of the ATF, as long as I don't shoulder it. I carry a full size 1911 concealed pretty often, and it's not hard to do with a good IWB holster, and a light button up shirt over a t-shirt.

Another reason for my AR pistol build is for it to be a truck gun (pistol) that I can legally have locked and loaded for when I have to make trips through "the Patch" and "the wrong side of the tracks" which is again perfectly legal as I have my concealed carry permit. Another reason for me is that it's a fantastic range gun, and a literal blast to shoot. Lastly, it's just as much as me thumbing my nose to the ATF by building an AR pistol too. I don't think I should be required to get Uncle Sam's permission to build an AR variant that I want. What I've built is perfectly legal and well within the law without having the hassle of the ATF.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

As I often tell my wife, I'm not trying to be ignorant, it's just working out that way. ;-) I just can't picture the brace being anything but in the way if it's neither used to shoulder the thing or actually brace it against your forearm. I think I understand best the nose-thumbing angle. :-)