NOTICE...ATF CHANGES IT'S MIND

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

NOTICE...ATF CHANGES IT'S MIND

Post by Longcolt44 »

The ATF has changed it's mind on arm braces that fit several pistols making them illegal to use. As stated in the attached link, this open letter went in to effect last Friday the 16th of 2015. Using one of these can make you a felon.
http://guns.buzz/2015/01/17/atf-reverse ... ers-felons
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Genetically Swiss

Re: NOTICE...ATF CHANGES IT'S MIND

Post by Genetically Swiss »

Yeah, the ATF, what a bunch of poopyheads.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

If you accept the concept of SBRs then the logic of the BATFE is sound.

The photo in the article demonstrates that the device is being used to circumvent the SBR regulations. It also sounds to me like that if the item is used as designed, submitted, and approved then it is okey dokey to the men in black. The mistake people make is thinking that they can "outsmart" the regulations and the regulators. Prisons are full of people who "outsmart" regulations and regulators.

If I want an S.B.R, I will buy the S.T.A.M.P. I don't have to like it, but that is the way it is.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

I tolerate the concept of SBR's. I do not agree with it.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

SA1911a1 wrote:If you accept the concept of SBRs then the logic of the BATFE is sound.

The photo in the article demonstrates that the device is being used to circumvent the SBR regulations. It also sounds to me like that if the item is used as designed, submitted, and approved then it is okey dokey to the men in black. The mistake people make is thinking that they can "outsmart" the regulations and the regulators. Prisons are full of people who "outsmart" regulations and regulators.

If I want an S.B.R, I will buy the S.T.A.M.P. I don't have to like it, but that is the way it is.
These were accepted by the ATF when presented to them and up until last Friday they were legal. Nobody was trying to circumvent or outsmart the system. This just another change of mind from a long line of after thought changes by the ATF. Some Liberal most likely cried to them.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I thought they were still legal if used as a brace but illegal if shouldered like a normal stock would be
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

They are still legal to use at designed, as soon as you shoulder it, it is then illegal.

I have a SBR, a fun gun but it is so stupid to pay for the tax on a gun that falls between a pistol and a rifle.
Kollaa kestää
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Lee-online wrote:They are still legal to use at designed, as soon as you shoulder it, it is then illegal.

I have a SBR, a fun gun but it is so stupid to pay for the tax on a gun that falls between a pistol and a rifle.
That is what I thought. I don't see it as they changed their mind. Shouldering the stock is using it for something it was not designed to be used for. Sig did not get permission to make a super short rifle even though the brace could be used like that. They got permission to make a pistol with a brace.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Lee-online wrote:They are still legal to use at designed, as soon as you shoulder it, it is then illegal.

I agree, but it would be really stupid to be dragged through the Federal Court System (and maybe prison system) over shouldering what has been determined to be an SBR without a stamp........

I have a deal with the BATF; I don't mess with them, and they don't mess with me.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Looks to me like someone didn't get paid off :shock:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have noticed over the years the official stance of the BATF changes when the official changes all too often. I guess that is typical of any over stuffed bureaucratic organ. Bill :o
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Is the tax stamp something that needs to be paid every year or is it a one time thing?
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

MarksmanTim wrote:

Is the tax stamp something that needs to be paid every year or is it a one time thing?
One time deal to register the lower on an AR.
amx4080

Post by amx4080 »

:chain:

So this get's someone's panties in a bunch:

And this is seen as completely different:

And yet a SBR is another thing entirely.

Hmmm, no surprise that libtards can't keep it straight. Might be a good thing that we don't have "shoulder thing that flips up" or "barrel shrouds". :facepalm1:
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

So am I just "liberal" if I like guns, or am I also a "libtard?" Maybe we could stick to talking about guns and leave the political blog comments section bullshit out of it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gurn

Post by gurn »

Your neither a liberal or a libtard if you like guns
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

FineRedMist wrote:So am I just "liberal" if I like guns, or am I also a "libtard?" Maybe we could stick to talking about guns and leave the political blog comments section bullshit out of it?

There is no political blog on this board, and I don't care liberal, ultra conservative, or you support the Great Rama Lama Ding Dong for king of the world, there will be no political bullshit here so no worries. Probably shouldn't use words like bullshit, or shit , shit is considered a rude word, I say shit a lot myself but I am known to forget to use crap, fudge, or poo instead and a shit or two slip by me, even a bullshit now and then. I guess shit is still better than saying fu...oh yea, almost got me on that one, shit, that would have been bad.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rsc

Post by rsc »

I've owned an AR pistol and a Mare's leg as well as shouldering a Sig brace equiped AR pistol (pre-ATF letter) and really don't see why its an issue, I need about 2" more LOP before I would consider these as "shoulderable". Maybe short adults and kids fit them differently. I can't make it work without my nose over the action.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

FineRedMist wrote:So am I just "liberal" if I like guns, or am I also a "libtard?" Maybe we could stick to talking about guns and leave the political blog comments section bullshit out of it?

Y so mad?
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

Vendetta wrote:Y so mad?
No reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk