Marlin 81 Gun show find

Rim Fire Firearms
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Marlin 81 Gun show find

Post by Rongo »

Made it to the big Fall show at the Coliseum with fellow member entropy... The one where they bring all the cool displays along with sale merchandise. Saw plenty of very nice displays, many guns WAY out of my price range & found a few good deals.

I've been wanting a nice tube fed, bolt action .22 for a while now... Was considering getting the Marlin 981 but instead I found this at the show.

A Marlin model 81 with a side mount base & an older Weaver B4 scope that's still very crisp & clear... The guy wanted $110 for it. He bought it as part of a collection from a widow... She said her Husband had it for many years. I just had to have it. Talked him down $10 & took it home with me.
When I got home I took it to the bench for cleaning & it was very dirty. Lots of Wd40 goo in it, filthy bore & even some fine sand mixed in there. Found a pristine bore under the crud & a nice light trigger & smooth action. The stock looks far too nice to be original & somewhere along the line someone added some sling swivels not to mention the scope & mount. Also, it has an oddly bent bolt. I've seen other variations in pictures online that match this bolt. I doubt it's original but then again it could have been optional? Hard to say.

From the research I've found so far they made the original Model 81 from 1937-1940 so this one looks to be a pre-war model. 1940 & up began as a model 81C & continued using a letter prefix after the model #. If anyone has more detailed information that would be greatly appreciated.

Here's some pictures for your enjoyment. 8-)

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Re: Marlin 81 Gun show find

Post by desdem12 »

Nice 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

I don't know about you guys, but I love the look of an old scope, compared to the scopes that are being made now.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Nice rifle. Peruse or post here for more info. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/fo ... .php?f=268
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

millman wrote:Nice rifle. Peruse or post here for more info. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/fo ... .php?f=268
Yep, I've been there already but have yet to post.

Took it to "Entropy's Sandpit & Shooting Emporium™ " Today along with a few other guns. Had a great time, shot some new guns along with the Model 81. Shoots great, action is very smooth, trigger is super light & the bent bolt is extremely easy to manipulate. I love this rifle!!

Here's some pics of entropy & myself plinking at some old pumpkins.

Entropy shooting the Model 81

the grin says it all

Scope was already sighted in when I got it. A real accurate little 22.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:toast:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You know I love .22's, old ones most of all, I would have been on that one like flys on shit, nice find :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
knssrtrd

Post by knssrtrd »

Have a post war 81DL it is one accurate 22.
Mikey_P

Post by Mikey_P »

Nice find R-man. Thanks for sharing the pics. Looks like you guys have a nice private range setup, too. Sweet! :D

Mike
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

I sure enough like that bolt! A vey nice find in my humble opinion, especially at that price.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

I love that rifle, beautiful wood. Any idea when that type scope was produced, is it a 4x? I keep seeing everyone posting gun show finds and am beginning to really want to add some stuff again, I have to find some operating money and make it to a show.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

That is the nice thing about a gun show, you will occasionally find a gem among all the junk and over-priced stuff. I like the look of the bolt on that .22. Looks like it handles well. :mrgreen:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

DB Cooper23

Post by DB Cooper23 »

Nice looking rifle! That's a great combination you have there....Marlin rifle and a Weaver scope. :toast:
A Veteran-whether active duty or retired-is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life". That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Nice find! I would buy that rifle over and over at $100. I too am a fan of the bolt. How does it feel when you cycle it?
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
cyknight

Post by cyknight »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :toast:
American Gunsmiths: Making things go BANG for over 200 years!
Co-Owner/Gunsmith - Diamond B Gunsmithing.

2-1942 Izhevsk M91/30, 1939 K98, 1895 M1891 Argentine Mauser, 1924 VZ-24, 1917 SMLE, 1942 SMLE, 1933 1895 Tula Nagant, 1958 Type 56 SKS
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:I love that rifle, beautiful wood. Any idea when that type scope was produced, is it a 4x? I keep seeing everyone posting gun show finds and am beginning to really want to add some stuff again, I have to find some operating money and make it to a show.
It is a 4X... A vintage Weaver B4. It was already sighted in... Tack driver Pre-war style. :vcool:

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

MN Fan wrote:Nice find! I would buy that rifle over and over at $100. I too am a fan of the bolt. How does it feel when you cycle it?
Smooth. I was a little skeptical on the shape of the bolt, but after shooting it I see the merits of it. Had a friend looking through my gunbook tonight & he did a double take when he saw a picture of this one... I took it out of the safe for him to handle & he really loved it. :vcool:

"Dang that entropy"