Model 91 SA Marked 1905 Sestroretsk (showcase Submission)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
etprescottazusa91

Model 91 SA Marked 1905 Sestroretsk (showcase Submission)

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Make: Sestroretsk

Model: Model 91

Year: Barrel dated 1905 Receiver dated 1905 both with Sestroretsk arsenal mark

Importer: Century Arms early 1990's paid 179.00 dollars in early 90's when purchased was top price for a Mosin import

Numbers: Finn matched, bolt matching, barrel number, receiver numbered to barrel, only additional numbered parts are stock and butt plate non matching, the floor plate is not numbered on this rifle. Rifle retained the correct sling swivels and cleaning rod upon delivery.

History: Manufactured at the Arsenal with shortest production run from any Russian arsenal of the Mosin Nagant rifle. Production at Sestroretsk ceasing in 1918 during the Bolshevik Revolution. The rifle pictured is an SA marked Finnish service rifle, Finland having taken possession of this example at some point. The rifle does not appear to have gone through a recent or modern refurbishment, the stock has not been refinished with the metal appearing original. The receiver date and barrel date are the same both dated parts from the Sestroretsk arsenal suggesting this example retains the original barrel fitted to the rifle when manufactured in 1905. A point of interest, the rifle has the original Imperial era rear sight marked in arshini then crossed out and marked into meters. Function of the rifle is flawless over 100 years after production attesting the suburb quality of manufacture in Imperial Russian era rifles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
desdem12

Re: Model 91 SA Marked 1905 Sestroretsk (showcase Submission

Post by desdem12 »

I vote yes for sure. Nice finned Sestroryetsk. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

i SECOND IT... 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
dou44

Post by dou44 »

me 3 me 3 love it. :thumbsup:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Well there you go etprescottazusa91.... Post this onto the Showcase. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Is there a Sestroryetsk in the showcase yet? I think this one would be a good candidate.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

I love it, add me to the :thumbsup:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

I got a weak spot for M91's..love em.
And thats a great rifle.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Yea,a good one for sure, Very nice :thumbsup:
etprescottazusa91

This old rifle thanks you Gentlemen. When I obtained this example we did not have the internet yet as a source for all this valuable information. I knew nothing about the Mosin rifle (still don't) knew nothing about the different arsenal's so I'll admit I was disappointed twenty years ago when a non matching rifle showed up, well I have learned a few things over the years. Once again this old rifle appreciates the nice comments.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Now on the showcase & just made it under the wire to be eligible for the Fall Rifle Contest. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

"Dang that entropy"
rokka

Post by rokka »

Nice Sestroretsk !

Actually do You know, that Sestroretsk is actualy old finnish town called Rajajoki or in swedish Systerbäck. Sestroretsk gun factory founded in early 1700, and actually because of that factory, principality of Finland "lost" or force to swap it. Russia took Sestroretsk and gave Petsamo to Finland in 1864. That was way to Finland to get gateway to the Artic Ocean, but actually as late as 1920 soviets gave it to Finland. Then 1944 soviets tooks it back because of nickel, which Finland has found from there and that was also why German 20th mountain army and AOK Lapland was occupied northern Finland.

- j o n i -
m91 1892 Chatellerault refusbished (straight leaf rear sight, no recoil bolt, finger rest etc.)
m91rv
m91 Sestroryetsk - stamped "PUOLUSTUSLAITOS" and AZF
m91 NewEngland Westinghouse
m91-24 Lotta
m91-P26
m27
m27rv
m28
m28/30 1933 (barrel made in 1932)
m28-30 1936
m28-30 MM 1937
m28-30 1939
m28-30 1940
m39 1941 Sako straight
m39 1942 Sako SKy
m39-SOV 1944 VKT
m39-43 1944 VKT
m91-30 Tikkakoski 1944
m39 1945 Sako
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Double Cool :vcool: :vcool: NIce rifle and History lesson :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Interesting, no, I hadn't know that about Sestroryetsk, and they ended up closing the arsenal anyway.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

That is one tough maker to find I know that. Have had maybe 5 or 6 in the whole time I have been collecting! Nice rifle Thanks for sharing! Bill :)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

O U C H !! I put my thumb up so fast I poked my left eye. This is the pot of gold at the rainbow's end. I am glad to know that all I have to do is go to the showcase any time I want to visit this fine rifle.
etprescottazusa91

Re: Model 91 SA Marked 1905 Sestroretsk (showcase Submission)

Still hanging on my wall.

Adolph Hitler – 1933
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Cool Sestroryetsk and thanks for posting.

Here is a link to a 2010 story on the factory. http://www.newsestroreck.ru/videolink/5 ... i-dni.html
(I used Google translate to read the text.)

I was looking at a later story a few years back about converting the site and old buildings to a mixed-use community but don't know where I saw it. I don't know whether it was completed.

I just found the story but there is no info since 2016 so I don't know whether it is continuing.

Again, non-Russian speakers will need Google translate: http://www.petrovskyarsenal.ru/
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:Still hanging on my wall.
And still a great Sestroryetsk! 1905 was one of the higher production years for the arsenal but seems to be one of the harder years to find today. They produced 37,300 rifles that year but Tula and Izhevsk produced way more, 133k & 141k.

My only Sestroryetsk is also a 1905.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach