M39 STOCK AND BARREL

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
crankin12864

M39 STOCK AND BARREL

Post by crankin12864 »

I HAVE A 1944 M39 THAT I AM REPLACING THE STOCK ON. THE ORIGINAL STOCK WAS CRACKED IN 4 PLACES AND WAS BEYOND REPAIR. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS - SHOULD THE END OF THE BARREL TOUCH THE END OF THE STOCK OR SHOULD THERE BE A GAP ALL THE WAY AROUND IT IN ORDER TO ALLOW THE BARREL TO FLOAT???

I HAVE ANOTHER 1941 RM39 RIFLE AND THE END OF THE STOCK COMPLETELY CAPTURES THE BARREL - THERE IS NO GAP, BUT THE END OF THE STOCK HAS BROKEN AWAY. I AM GOING TO REPLACE THIS TOCK AS WELL.

THANKS,
crankin12864
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: M39 STOCK AND BARREL

Post by millman »

Ease up on the caplock brother.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Show us some pics. It is a rare piece of wood that can not be repaired.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
crankin12864

Post by crankin12864 »

See the attached pic.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crankin12864

Post by crankin12864 »

Here is another M39 rifle that I have.

See the attached pic.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

millman wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:00 pm Ease up on the caplock brother.
:chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

It's designed to be wrapped up tight in wood and metal. You need shims.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Mangrove

Post by Mangrove »

crankin12864 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:17 pm WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS - SHOULD THE END OF THE BARREL TOUCH THE END OF THE STOCK OR SHOULD THERE BE A GAP ALL THE WAY AROUND IT IN ORDER TO ALLOW THE BARREL TO FLOAT???
According to 1959 and 1978 Finnish Defence Forces standing orders, the barrel should be in contact with the stock only at the front band and the receiver. "Minor" gaps between the receiver and the side of the stock are allowed. There should be a 1-2 mm gap between the back of the receiver and the corresponding cutaway on the stock. The two standing orders forbids loosening and/or overtightening any of the screws on the stock as this will cause cracks on the stock and lower the accuracy. If the rear band spring is not providing enough tension, the stock should be modified by adding a metal bar to the rear band.

According to another post-war Finnish Defence Forces permanent order, recoil lug must be in full contact with the stock. The contact area must be wide enough to counteract any force caused by tightening of the nut. There are both horizontal and vertical cracks. Horizontal cracks occur mainly near the "neck" of the stock and near the receiver. These are caused by rough handling, e.g hitting the butt to the ground. Vertical cracks near the receiver are cause by shooting with loose receiver screws.

The correct front band loosening/tightening procedure, according to Finnish Ministry of Defence manual "Kivääri 91", is as follows:
1) Tighten the screw so that the band does not move at all.
2) Loosen the screw 1/2 turns or more until the band can move a little bit.
3) Tighten the screw 1/4 turns.

Two tests mentioned in the Civil Guard and Finnish Defence Forces literature and the permanent orders are the sheet of paper test described earlier and an angle test. The angle test can be performed after the sheet of paper test. If the rifle is lifted to a 45 degree angle (from the floor or a table?), the barrel should noticeably lift up from the stock and return to the original position when the rifle is turned to rest on its butt (i.e. 90 degree angle).
crankin12864

Post by crankin12864 »

Thank you so much for the information. It helped a great deal.

Kiitos paljon tiedosta. Se auttoi paljon.