Glue adhesive used on MODEL 39 forends

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
Jeff22

Glue adhesive used on MODEL 39 forends

Post by Jeff22 »

:wave.gif: I was wondering if any has replaced the forends on a m39 and how was the glue softened in order to replace with new forend.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Glue adhesive used on MODEL 39 forends

Post by Darryl »

Jeff22 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:23 pm :wave.gif: I was wondering if any has replaced the forends on a m39 and how was the glue softened in order to replace with new forend.
First quest would be, ...
Why was the forestock being replaced?
I know of no way of "softening the glue to do that and matching a new forestock to it would be almost impossible.

but, like I tell everyone, I don't know everything! :chuckles:

Darryl
Jeff22

Post by Jeff22 »

It’s cracked
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Photos.
Jeff22

Post by Jeff22 »

This is a stock I bought that I was going to try to salvage and make a rifle with. I like challenging things .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If the forend still exists I would use clamps and Elmer's wood glue to reattach it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jeff22

Post by Jeff22 »

What is like to do is find good pieces but I’d need to dissolve the glue first to take good parts off bad parts and reattach good parts . Any idea on UNgluing m39 forend boxed in connections ?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Even if you could Un-glue it, what will you replace it with. All those front fore stocks are all different. Length and also the jointing. You will never find a perfect match.

If your Father was a master carpenter, and your mother was a termite, you might stand a chance! ;mywink;

Darryl
Jeff22

Post by Jeff22 »

Thanks for all the help
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I honestly don't know how you could replace the forend....but, I'm not a woodworker.

You would just need to discover the type of glue used, and proceed from there. I have no idea as to glue technology in the 1930s-40s.

You can find wood for the forend. It would probably be expensive. Then, you would need to use the same type of wood sealant used in Finland...or, you'd need to test combinations of dyes and wood sealant in order to approximate a match for the rear half of the stock. Seems like a lot of work.

As an alternative idea, you could keep that section of the stock to use as a replacement piece for a stock that is damaged in the rear half (ex. cracked at the wrist). Or, sell it to somebody who has a cracked stock.
Mosin Fanboy
Jeff22

Post by Jeff22 »

Yeah thanks for the advice,
I’ve got this stock that somehow came unglued maybe by force as it did not separate well. Just going some on here may know. I might try soaking this end in water to see if any glue softens.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Careful not to raise the grain" of the stock in water. Yeah, still another problem.

I'm like JYD, I'm no finish carpenter either.

This is a "new type" of rescue to us here. Let us know how it goes.

Darryl
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Darryl wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:09 am Careful not to raise the grain" of the stock in water. Yeah, still another problem.

Darryl
That job might finish a finish carpenter. The glue that the stocks were joined with is some good stuff. Waterproof, meant to continue to hold with the normal expansion and contraction of the wood, unaffected by temperature changes or UV light. I have yet to see any of it let go. It would be like trying to disassemble good 8 ply plywood without damaging the wood. I am betting on a nitrocellulose glue, but it is a guess. Although Resorcinol glue wasn't invented until '43, it may be something similar.

I wish the OP all the luck in the world and hope that he can post back with a completed project.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:20 pm
Darryl wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:09 am Careful not to raise the grain" of the stock in water. Yeah, still another problem.

Darryl
That job might finish a finish carpenter. The glue that the stocks were joined with is some good stuff. Waterproof, meant to continue to hold with the normal expansion and contraction of the wood, unaffected by temperature changes or UV light. I have yet to see any of it let go. It would be like trying to disassemble good 8 ply plywood without damaging the wood. I am betting on a nitrocellulose glue, but it is a guess. Although Resorcinol glue wasn't invented until '43, it may be something similar.

I wish the OP all the luck in the world and hope that he can post back with a completed project.
Agree 100%, although I did see pictures on some gun forum that showed one what actually came apart. Talk about some craftsmanship on the joints.......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:20 pm

Darryl

Knew I wasn't losing my mind. Pahtu a member here and on other gun forums posted pictures of his 1944 VKT M39. He tripped and fell while carrying it and this was the result.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »