Taking a noob shooting......

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
ffuries

Taking a noob shooting......

Post by ffuries »

With company in town, one of them wanted me take her out and teach her to shoot. Other family members had taken her out and were overbearing in all aspects, and she do one or two shots then stop.

Day prior to the outing we went through safety, range etiquette, firearm handling, firearm familiarization. The next day before we left another safety brief and again at the range. Brought three "Women" friendly firearms, Taurus PT111 G2 (9 mm), CZ83 (380), SCCY CPX-1 (9 mm).

Used a splatter target for her introduction to the guns, then individual targets for each gun, then another target with her two favorite guns. While on the first and second rounds of shooting I had her use the sights, on the last 2 gun round, it was pick it up, point at the target and shoot, no sighting aloud.

Well she's hooked.......

All targets were placed at 25 feet.

Target 1, with sights, getting use to the guns, and some rapid fire shots also, evident by the string of shots

Target 2, SCCY CPX-1, with sights, level and to the right but good groupings for a novice.

Target 3, Taurus PT111 G2, with sights, first shots high, plus a flier, then she settled down, and had a decent grouping, centered but low.

Target 4, CZ83, with sights, two distinct groupings, center and upper right, still not bad.

Target 5, CZ83 and Taurus PT111 G2, 5 shots each, rapid fire with no sight usage, just point and shoot. There's a flier from the Taurus. With the exception of the flier the rest of the shots ended up in the 9 ring.

Both fliers from the Taurus were due to her flinching on the first shot, it has a slightly bigger kick than the CZ.

Told her, to not let anyone tell her she has to stand a certain way, she's already found her stance. She needs to practice with the sights, and her groupings will tighten up. What is scary is she did better with the no sights, just point and shot, then she did with aiming.

Regardless for a newbie she did pretty damn good, and with practice she'll get better, more so when she finds a gun that fits her per se.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Taking a noob shooting......

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Range experts, I know the type she was dealing with. Once I had someone comment on seeing me point shooting a 1911. Wrong stance, wrong grip, improper aiming, seven rounds in the torso. Of the paper target, not the mouthy fuck who was quickly advised by friends who brought him not to comment about what I was doing unless specifically asked, and then better have a clue if they spout off something. That two or three second advantage gained by one hand draw, and point shooting before assuming a two hand grip can mean the difference between life and death. I got pretty good doing that. Lot of torso shots on that zombie, wasted ammo, only the head shots count.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

I would reward her with an A+............she can become quite good with more practice.....nevertheless, I would not have enjoyed being the perp trying to give her trouble...!!!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Great job on introducing another person to the shooting sports!!!! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Rongo wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:57 pm Great job on introducing another person to the shooting sports!!!! :thumbsup:
Told her, I wasn't there to judge or criticize her abilities. I just stood behind and to the right so I could see both the target and the gun. That way if something happened with the gun I could see it.

Well as you can see there wasn't anything to criticize to begin with, and with practice she'll get better. I pity the poor SOB, who is dumb enough to put themselves infront of her barrel. Told her to look up and hook up with some of the women's shooting groups local to her, they'll probably be less critical than her male family members, and to keep practicing.

Suggested after she gets a pistol, and practices with it some, to challenge her male family members to a shooting match and see how many she can outshoot. That'll shut them up.....!

Some of us have a natural ability, some of us need a lot of practice, some of us have bad habits (Improper shooting skills taught to us, etc), that we have to learn to break......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I gotta have me some targets that green goo comes out when you make a headshot. You can only use white peoples heads as targets, anything else of course is racist. :shifty:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:53 pm I gotta have me some targets that green goo comes out when you make a headshot. You can only use white peoples heads as targets, anything else of course is racist. :shifty:
Spewed my beer through my nose reading this........Thank you!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Hanky67357

Post by Hanky67357 »

Great job!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Targets? That's easy, just hang a sign out front - Please don't steal my money and drugs- targets will present themselves shortly. I hate everybody who tries to hurt or steal from me equally so no racism charges can be made.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt