Large Hole AR Upper.....?

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

Large Hole AR Upper.....?

Post by ffuries »

Has anyone used the bushing that allows you to use a small hole lower receiver with a Colt large hole upper receiver?

How good does it work and is it worth it? Any issues etc?

Been reading online and the reviews, people's opinions/experience on it seems to be all over the place. If 10 said it sucks and 90 said it was good, or vice-versa it would be an easy choice, but my findings are leaning towards 50/50.

So if it works good, that's great if not then I would have to find a large hole lower, if I got the upper.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Large Hole AR Upper.....?

Post by bunkysdad »

When I get feedback of 50/50 on most anything I tend to take it as a no good. I would match the upper to the lower to eliminate any issues. You sure don’t want it working loose on you if you spend the money on a Colt upper. Are you looking at the recent offer from Brownells?
Imagine going to a restaurant and hoping for a good steak if 50% of the reviews said their steak was like boot leather. [emoji3]
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

ffuries wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:57 pm Has anyone used the bushing that allows you to use a small hole lower receiver with a Colt large hole upper receiver?

How good does it work and is it worth it? Any issues etc?

Been reading online and the reviews, people's opinions/experience on it seems to be all over the place. If 10 said it sucks and 90 said it was good, or vice-versa it would be an easy choice, but my findings are leaning towards 50/50.

So if it works good, that's great if not then I would have to find a large hole lower, if I got the upper.
Is that some standard GI bushing.? If its aftermarket bubba thing I wouldn't do it.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Not worth the headache and potential problems IMHO. Not with all the standard options that are out there. I recently bought a new BCM 20" government upper from BCM for an A2 clone. No need to fool with a large hole upper unless you have a matching lower lying around.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...