Help identifying this ammo?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Hadrian65

Help identifying this ammo?

Post by Hadrian65 »

I am still new to this, and I do appreciate the help I have received so far.
Can someone help me identify this surplus ammo?

Thank you,

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
entropy

Re: Help identifying this ammo?

Post by entropy »

Czech light ball ammo. Good stuff. I have a couple of those crates myself.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Hadrian65

Post by Hadrian65 »

entropy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:11 pm Czech light ball ammo. Good stuff. I have a couple of those crates myself.
Thanks. The "59" after the "7.62" was confusing.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is great ammo, I still have a few crates of this from 15 years back. Liquored steel case packed 20 rounds to a green cardboard box. Shot at least ten cases worth of this in every type of Mosin, and the SVT40, never a problem.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hadrian65

Post by Hadrian65 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:08 pm This is great ammo, I still have a few crates of this from 15 years back. Liquored steel case packed 20 rounds to a green cardboard box. Shot at least ten cases worth of this in every type of Mosin, and the SVT40, never a problem.

Thanks for the response, very helpful. Does age make a difference? (sorry if that is a dumb question, still new to this)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Hadrian65 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:58 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:08 pm This is great ammo, I still have a few crates of this from 15 years back. Liquored steel case packed 20 rounds to a green cardboard box. Shot at least ten cases worth of this in every type of Mosin, and the SVT40, never a problem.

Thanks for the response, very helpful. Does age make a difference? (sorry if that is a dumb question, still new to this)
It's old, it was old before the Cold War ended, this ammo uses corrosive primers that last a very long time. A century on average sealed up in a can like this. Or even out of it. I wouldn't worry about the age, inside that can time has stood still. The 20 round box's fit very well into a US .50 steel ammo can, 400 rounds per can. USGI ammo cans seal up air tight. Remember you must clean the bore right after shooting or the salts these priers will leave in there are going to eat the bore. Simple, I just kept a small electric tea pot on my bench with a quart of water. Boiled it up, poured it right down into the chamber to flush out the bore, then a bit over the bolt head, and follower. Then cleaned the rifle as normal. Did it that way thousands of times, never any issues from the corrosive primers..
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hadrian65

Post by Hadrian65 »

Thanks for the additional information and advice about cleaning, again very helpful. I've read a ton about cleaning the bore after using corrosive ammo. I usually shoot black powder (my Mosin finally gets me into the 20th century). I've used moose milk for my BP cleaning since I started--any thoughts on using that for a Mosin?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Hadrian65 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:49 am Thanks for the additional information and advice about cleaning, again very helpful. I've read a ton about cleaning the bore after using corrosive ammo. I usually shoot black powder (my Mosin finally gets me into the 20th century). I've used moose milk for my BP cleaning since I started--any thoughts on using that for a Mosin?
Anything that works for BP will work for corrosive primers, but you don't have to get fancy with them. With the corrosive primed ammo there is no heavy fouling to deal with , it's just some salts from the priming compound. Simple hot water will wash them out quickly. Also you will want something to deal with copper bullet jacket deposits, something not found much with BP shooting. Hoppes 9 will work just fine for that, also pay careful attention to chamber cleaning given the possibility of lacquer transfer from the coated steel cartridge case to the chamber walls. This is the number one cause of the dreaded Mosin " sticky bolt"
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I never bought this by the case but shot quite a bit of it. I like and maybe just a little jealous these days of a nice sealed case like this one. 😀