Rolling Block Help.......

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
ffuries

Rolling Block Help.......

Post by ffuries »

Egyptian Remington No 1 Rolling Block rifle woes.

Did a down and dirty breakdown the other day and looked it over, put it together and wiped it down and all was good and everything worked.

Today broke it down, to clean it, figure out what all it needed (Firing pin, pin to hold it in, rotary extractor and screw and firing pin retractor) and to clean the gunk out of the cleaning rod channel. All is going well and I'm having fun, went to put it all back together and all goes to hell.

No matter how I put it back together the hammer won't go into full cock. I've taken it apart probably 50 times and put it back together with the same results. I spent 6 hours trying to get it working and it's still not cooperating with me.

I watched a dozen videos, and it doesn't help.

Anyone got any ideas what the hell is going on? If you need pictures of parts let me know, and I'll get them. I finally called it a night on it, as I was ready to use it as a club on the driveway. So I knew it was time to walk away, regroup, and ask questions.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Re: Rolling Block Help.......

Post by ffuries »

After taking an hour break from it, I fixed it in 5 minutes. Turns out the main spring ended up getting bent. 

Was watching a video of a guy taking one apart and froze it when he had the trigger assembly out and compared them. Literally blew the video up and place my assembly over it and mine was bent upwards almost 3/4 of an inch. Adjusted mine and viola it works again.

There is a pin or bar and the main spring goes under it, I think I managed to get it over the pin/bar bending it. This caused the hammer and breech block to jam. Tomorrow I might adjust the main spring a little more, now that it works, after about 8-9 cockings it takes a little more effort to lock the hammer back, so it might be a tad loose now. 

All I know is I'm happy that it works again, and that it wasn't something major.

Now my son is straightening the cleaning rod up. The rod is so bent it looks the path of a drunk trying to walk a straight line.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

So in other words it worked until you broke it. Good that it's working again before I had to go dig mine out to take pictures at 4am. You don't want to know what that would cost at this hour. :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:59 am So in other words it worked until you broke it. Good that it's working again before I had to go dig mine out to take pictures at 4am. You don't want to know what that would cost at this hour. :twisted:
Well, kind of, sorta, yeah........ :bonk:

In my defense the screw for the main spring was very loose, when I tightened it, that made it next to impossible for the spring to follow its correct path. Like it was bent already, and the previous owners/users fix was to loosen the screw until the spring moved around like a spaghetti noodle. By me tightening it, it went over instead of under the bar/pin and bent it even more.

Now I just need to verify the style of the MIA parts, then order them.....
12. Firing pin retractor
13. Firing pin retractor pin
14. Extractor
16. Firing pin
17. Firing pin limit pin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What you need is Bannerman's from 1920, that's were Remington dumped most of the spare parts after the contracts ended, and after Civilian sales of the rollers lagged. Take a metal detector out to Bannerman's island, and sweep the castle grounds. 75 steps to get up there, kind of a bitch on the knees.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt