New Member from U.K.

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
SJHUK

New Member from U.K.

Post by SJHUK »

Hi All...just to say hello! You probably all know this but here in the U.K. you have to apply for a variation on your Firearms Certificate to purchase any additional firearms. I have applied for a 7.62x54R & as soon as my Firearms Certificate comes through I'll be able to pick up my Mosin Nagant.
Details to follow!
Keep safe!
SJHUK
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Member from U.K.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board. Not many Americans would understand what you have to do to own firearms in the UK. People living in Chicago, or New York City maybe, but for the rest of us we just go into the gunshop, pay over the money, fill out a form, pass a phone in background check, and walk out with the rifle, or shotgun. Pistols sometimes require more paperwork, or special licenses depending on state and city. There are Americans who would like to inflict UK style firearms ownership restrictions on their fellow Americans, it's a constant fight to keep them at bay. Good luck with the new rifle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:19 am Welcome to the board. Not many Americans would understand what you have to do to own firearms in the UK. People living in Chicago, or New York City maybe, but for the rest of us we just go into the gunshop, pay over the money, fill out a form, pass a phone in background check, and walk out with the rifle, or shotgun. Pistols sometimes require more paperwork, or special licenses depending on state and city. There are Americans who would like to inflict UK style firearms ownership restrictions on their fellow Americans, it's a constant fight to keep them at bay. Good luck with the new rifle.
Careful JYD showing your age saying phone in background check now it's more like on the computer background check. That being said you are right about all the other stuff.
SJHUK

Post by SJHUK »

Hi, thanks for your message!
The procedures here are pretty rigid & many people here, including firearms owners, pretty much think that it’s OK albeit a long winded process, but it’s not so bad to be fair.
Thanks for your welcome, it’s appreciated!
Kindest regards,
SJHUK
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Also here we can easily obtain a Curio and Relics license to purchase most weapons that are 50 years or older which is what the majority of rifles and pistols that we own are. But, when I purchase modern firearms that require a background check,my transfer agent still calls it in the old fashioned way since he works out of his house. It's been a while since I used a dealer to purchase a modern weapon. They didn't use computers for the check at that time. And, the firearm must be shipped to him. With the C&R license, the firearm can be shipped directly to my home. That is as long as you live in a free state. There are some states here that make it very difficult to purchase weapons...

Welcome to the insanity of Milsurps :British:
SJHUK

Post by SJHUK »

Hi , thanks for your message!
I guess “alls well that ends well” as the great man said!
Looking forward to shooting my first Mosin Nagant at Bisley, hopefully towards mid November or before!
Take care....
SJHUK
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Welcome from the sunny south of Mississippi. Most people speak English here, but you probably wouldn't recognize it as such. Hope your quest for a nice rifle is successful. You will enjoy the forum. Cheers!
:British: :USA Flag:
SJHUK

Post by SJHUK »

Hi & thanks for your welcome, it's much appreciated!
Kindest regards,
SJHUK
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

All gun shops are not computerized. The shop I work at has been in the same location for 48 years and except for my laptop has never used a computer, we still use an old Bell Systems phone to call for background checks. One thing that saves us here in the US is our forefathers had the good sence to give us the right to bear arms under the second amendment to our Constitution. Don't get us wrong, we have to fight like hell to keep that amendment at every turn.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SJHUK

Post by SJHUK »

Hi....I'm not making any political points here just stating my opinions but it's the way of the world I'm afraid. To maintain the ability or the right of private citizens to own firearms is an ongoing battle everywhere. It seems to me, in Europe anyway, that governments are of course unwilling to confront this issue head on, so they are playing the long game, enabled by stealth. Shooting as a sport is being demonised, almost becoming socially un-acceptable & the anti-gun lobby stoke that fire at every opportunity of course. The cost of everything to enable us to shoot has risen by an alarming rate in recent years, licensing, range fees & reloading components in particular. If you look at the way F Class shooting has gone it's now an arms race, upwards of £4000-£5000 for a rifle, £2500-£3000 for a scope & £1500 for a rest! At the other end of the scale even a half decent Lee Enfield .303 is now north of £500-£600....
I'm not picking on F Class but from humble beginnings the creation of an image of what has unfortunately become an elite sport within a sport doesn't help matters in my opinion.
The effect of this is that the average age of shooters that I see at Bisley, for instance, is probably around 55-65, "silver surfers" hanging in there who can just about afford it! Over the last 10-15 years I've seen a rapid drop in young people taking up the sport simply because it has become way too expensive, in my club with just less than 100 members we have no-one under 40 shooting full bore.....
So we have many challenges, but in my opinion the biggest one we face is that unless the next generation are there to carry it on, our sport will just wither on the vine within 10-15 years, it's sad but true I'm afraid.... we really need to be more pro-active in our efforts to encourage the next generation of shooters.
Anyway, let's just enjoy it while we can!
Take care all....
SJHUK
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

qz2026 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:07 am Also here we can easily obtain a Curio and Relics license to purchase most weapons that are 50 years or older which is what the majority of rifles and pistols that we own are. But, when I purchase modern firearms that require a background check,my transfer agent still calls it in the old fashioned way since he works out of his house. It's been a while since I used a dealer to purchase a modern weapon. They didn't use computers for the check at that time. And, the firearm must be shipped to him. With the C&R license, the firearm can be shipped directly to my home. That is as long as you live in a free state. There are some states here that make it very difficult to purchase weapons...

Welcome to the insanity of Milsurps :British:
And if you’re buying a black powder firearm (modern or antique) there’s no background check in most states. Picked up my reproduction Zouave musket at the gun shop. They just took my card and handed it directly over. Don’t forget that a lot of gun show dealers phone in background checks. I suppose that some are set up to do the computerized check but that seems like extra complication to me.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I met with a guy to purchase a handgun, who had a app on his smart phone to do a background check right there in a parking lot. . He was a former FFL 01. That was in 2019.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SJHUK

Post by SJHUK »

Wow...that seems a bit scary to me here in the U.K; a bit too relaxed!....but probably not for you guys, I guess it's whatever you're used to......
Take care!
:USA Flag: :British:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Welcome! Glad to have you here! Not many people here from the University of Kentucky. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SJHUK

Post by SJHUK »

Thank you..... :lol:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

You are welcome. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Welcome to madness/addition from Panama City, Florida. I've had the fortune of being TDY (Temporary Duty) to the UK a few times.

Passed through RAF Mildenhall twice (Stayed at Bury St Edmunds both times) and spent some time (A month of so) at RAF Sculthorpe (Stayed on the base).

My wife lived at RAF Upper Heyford for 3 years, and her and her family loved everyday of it.

Beautiful county, great people, and awesome beer (Ales, Stouts, Lagers), and a whole hell of a lot of history.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SJHUK

Post by SJHUK »

Hi Mike...thank you for your welcome!
I live just east of London in Essex & we often go to Bury St. Edmunds, it never seems to change much. Essex (a much maligned county) & Suffolk have some wonderful countryside & coastal areas. Dedham & Flatford Mill in Constable country are both still very nice too. It's not without it's problems of course but the "old country" is still a wonderful place to be & I wouldn't live anywhere else. A little known fact is that wherever you are in the U.K. you are no more than 70 odd miles from the sea, you could hide us in a corner of Texas, we would soon let them know we were there though! :lol:
I had the great fortune to work in Tennessee & Pennsylvania for a few months back in the late nineties, I was made to feel like I was family from day one.
Many happy memories.....I loved it!
Take care...
Kindest regards,
Stuart
SJHUK

Post by SJHUK »

ffuries wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:21 pm Welcome to madness/addition from Panama City, Florida. I've had the fortune of being TDY (Temporary Duty) to the UK a few times.

Passed through RAF Mildenhall twice (Stayed at Bury St Edmunds both times) and spent some time (A month of so) at RAF Sculthorpe (Stayed on the base).

My wife lived at RAF Upper Heyford for 3 years, and her and her family loved everyday of it.

Beautiful county, great people, and awesome beer (Ales, Stouts, Lagers), and a whole hell of a lot of history.
Hi again Mike....thought this might be of interest!

https://www.rafsculthorpeheritagecentre.org/#

Kindest regards,
Stuart
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

SJHUK wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:36 am Hi Mike...thank you for your welcome!
I live just east of London in Essex & we often go to Bury St. Edmunds, it never seems to change much. Essex (a much maligned county) & Suffolk have some wonderful countryside & coastal areas. Dedham & Flatford Mill in Constable country are both still very nice too. It's not without it's problems of course but the "old country" is still a wonderful place to be & I wouldn't live anywhere else. A little known fact is that wherever you are in the U.K. you are no more than 70 odd miles from the sea, you could hide us in a corner of Texas, we would soon let them know we were there though! :lol:
I had the great fortune to work in Tennessee & Pennsylvania for a few months back in the late nineties, I was made to feel like I was family from day one.
Many happy memories.....I loved it!
Take care...
Kindest regards,
Stuart
What part of Tennessee were you working in? I grew up in southeast Tennessee (Chattanooga) and spent my high school and college years working for a tourist railroad there.