M1868 Remington Rolling Block Questions

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

M1868 Remington Rolling Block Questions

Post by ffuries »

I have a line on a nice Egyptian Contract Remington M1868 Rolling Block rifle. It's missing a barrel band screw (Found a source for it), missing the firing pin (Found a source for it), missing the extractor (Haven't found one yet).

I notice some parts reference for Spanish Rolling Block only etc. Are there that many differences between the models sent to other countries? Or did the different years of manufacture have that many differences or variations?

Trying to decide if I can find all 3 of the missing parts before I pull the trigger. At $325.00 the price isn't bad at least with my limited research so far.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: M1868 Remington Rolling Block Questions

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Egyptian model is very similar if not the same as the Spanish model except for the chambering. These military rollers are all based on the same design, there are minor variations depending on the end users requirments. I think half of Latin America used these during the 19th century, they turn up pretty much everywhere, and even New York State ordered a special model for the State Guard. Parts are not hard to find. Prices have gone up, I have an Egyptian roller someplace that I bought at an 80's flea market for $20
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:20 pm The Egyptian model is very similar if not the same as the Spanish model except for the chambering. These military rollers are all based on the same design, there are minor variations depending on the end users requirments. I think half of Latin America used these during the 19th century, they turn up pretty much everywhere, and even New York State ordered a special model for the State Guard. Parts are not hard to find. Prices have gone up, I have an Egyptian roller someplace that I bought at an 80's flea market for $20
Most parts are not hard to find. An extractor is not one of those parts. Took me a while to find an extractor for my 43 Egyptian.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

awalker1829 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:30 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:20 pm The Egyptian model is very similar if not the same as the Spanish model except for the chambering. These military rollers are all based on the same design, there are minor variations depending on the end users requirments. I think half of Latin America used these during the 19th century, they turn up pretty much everywhere, and even New York State ordered a special model for the State Guard. Parts are not hard to find. Prices have gone up, I have an Egyptian roller someplace that I bought at an 80's flea market for $20
Most parts are not hard to find. An extractor is not one of those parts. Took me a while to find an extractor for my 43 Egyptian.
Does it take a straight sliding bar extractor or a rotary extractor? Or is this based on whether it's an early or late contract rifle. I figured mine is a late contract one as it has March 1874 as the latest patent date.

Rifle is still inbound via UPS, I expect it to be here next week.......I hope!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

It's a sliding bar extractor.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

awalker1829 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:44 pm It's a sliding bar extractor.
Cool thank you......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member