My Mosin PU

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
cyanbarron

My Mosin PU

Post by cyanbarron »

Hi,

I picked up this mosin PU on Sunday at an estate auction. I checked all of the reference's that I could find about verifying whether a mosin is an actual sniper or a fake. Everything I've found seems to point to this being an actual sniper rifle. With one exception. The scope mount seems to be too new and has no marks on it. The scope itself is dated 1942 and two refurbished dates in 1968 and 1969. I was wondering if anyone was familiar about scopes being worked on in the arsenals as late as the 60's. Here are some pictures.
IMG_1753.jpg
IMG_1753.jpg
IMG_1753.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cyanbarron

Re: My Mosin PU

Post by cyanbarron »

If anyone needs any more pictures just let me know.
cyanbarron

Post by cyanbarron »

All the numbers on the gun match except for the scope.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Can you share a photo of the side of the mount and the top of the scope?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

cyanbarron wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:59 am If anyone needs any more pictures just let me know.

We need a lot more pics, the scope mount doesn't look like a PU mount, but it could be the odd angle of the pics. Post some of the mount(both sides) the barrel shank (both sides), and the bolt.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
cyanbarron

Post by cyanbarron »

I have to believe that the scope mount is fairly new but it looks like everything else is original, hopefully.
IMG_1761.jpg
IMG_1763.jpg
IMG_1760.jpg
IMG_1757.jpg
IMG_1756.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Need more photos of the side of the barrel shank (just behind the rear sights. On the left side of the barrel mainly. You showed the "top", but not the left side.

Also, information about the import mark. Photo, where it is, and what it says.

Under the bend of the "bent bolt" where it bends (photo)

Darryl
cyanbarron

Post by cyanbarron »

Here are pictures of the bolt, import marking, and barrel.
IMG_1771.jpg
IMG_1772.jpg
IMG_1774.jpg
IMG_1773.jpg
IMG_1764.jpg
IMG_1776.jpg
IMG_1775.jpg
IMG_1770.jpg
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Sorry to give you the bad news but that is a reproduction sniper, but even though it is import marked by CIA it doesn't appear to be one of theirs. The mount and base appear to be either pot metal or aluminum and isn't close to being dimensionally correct for a good reproduction PU set up. The bolt looks like a welded on replacement for the original bolt handle. The rifle was never a sniper, rather a run of the mill 43 Izhevsk 91/30 Infantry rifle.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
cyanbarron

Post by cyanbarron »

I thought it looked good except for the scope mount. There are no other import marks I can find.
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

I'm in 100% agreement with Miller Tyme.

-Rough receiver.
-Import mark so close to the scope mount.
-No sign of scope numbers along the wood line of the barrel, and other marks being there instead.

All those clearly indicate that it was simply a standard infantry rifle that somebody put a scope onto. It think it's an original WWII scope, but the mount definitely isn't.

In other words, enjoy shooting it but never try to pass it off as a real PU, especially to sell it. The RMNF Cheka secret police will put Polonium in your tea if you do.

I do sometimes worry that the "fakers" watch this forum and take notes on how to make better fakes.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I tend to agree. The scope s/n should appear "x'd" out on the left side of the receiver - at least in most cases - for snipers manufactured at Izhevsk. Also the stock cut for the scope mount looks like a relatively new cut.
cyanbarron

Post by cyanbarron »

Ok, thanks.