Unusual Type 51 Chunese Tokarev

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
racerguy00

Unusual Type 51 Chunese Tokarev

Post by racerguy00 »

RGuns recently imported a large batch of Chinese Tokarev pistols. I'm not sure where they were imported from, but dates from 1951 into the 70s have been reported so far.

These have a safety added to the trigger for import like some Yugo imports and unlike earlier imports that had one added to the frame. Much better if you ask me.

A friends shop received a large number of these for resale and found a couple of very uncommon Type 51s mixed in with the common Type 54s. Basically the same pistol but possibly made under Soviet supervision and with the right side of the frame marked Type 51. These have commanded a big premium when they have turned up before. I was lucky to get one from the group.

This one is odd in that it seems to have been partially scrubbed. The date of manufacture is missing, and an abbreviated serial number added. The slide has been scrubbed and researeal numbered. Barrel doesnt match, and barrel bushing and hammer group arent numbered at all which is odd for these. Never mind that this one is a Type 51, the scrubbing and renumbering seems to be unusual for pistols in this import batch. Other than a cracked grip, this pistol is in really decent shape after an arsenal reblue.

One of the other Type 51s in that shop went up on Gunbroker and brought $1.2k, so I think I did alright on my purchase at the normal Type 54 price.
Screenshot_20200813-031243_Photos.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
ffuries

Re: Unusual Type 51 Chunese Tokarev

Post by ffuries »

I've been meaning to get a Tokarov, but either I forget, or something comes up and I get side tracked.......Ooh squirrel!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have been fighting with myself over, To buy or not to buy one of these from R Guns. I did call them to see if they would give shops a break on the price but to get a break you have to buy quite a bunch. The R Guns price everyday is $350.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
House Beagle

Post by House Beagle »

That’s a fine looking pistol!

Have you got a chance to fire it? If so, how does the trigger perform with the safety? Pretty comparable to the feel of a standard tokarev?

At first glance this seems 100x better than the frame safeties that were added onto various TT’s.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Safety works fine for me. No issues. Average trigger pull. After a few shots I dont even notice the safety. Pretty accurate too.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
mproko

Post by mproko »

How can you tell it’s a 51 vs a 54?
mproko

Post by mproko »

On yours I didn’t see it and want to know what I’m looking for. Give me something to search for
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

mproko wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:34 pm On yours I didn’t see it and want to know what I’m looking for. Give me something to search for

The markings on the right side of the frame below the slide are for Type 51 and the arsenal. Type 54s will have the type 54 script on top of the slide.
mproko

Post by mproko »

Ty that was what I didn’t understand