All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I went to see the 1917 movie today, and really enjoyed it. It made me come home and dig out a 103 yr old relic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1917

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice rifle, needs the leather sling, I will see the movie when it turns up on Amazon or Netflix. Hate going to the theater, then again I hate anything that has me out among the public, dangerous sociopaths running around killing everyone around them at the drop of a hat because mommy didn't hug them enough.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I intend to see it as well, probably on the big screen as it was intended. I'm concerned as JYD is about the wack jobs out there, but I don't go anywhere without a handgun on my hip. That has a lot to do with my being a police officer as long as I was and watching what is going on in society.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I'd like to see that movie but our theater burned down years ago and it was never replaced. The next town over has a theater but it's over 50 miles away and the older I get the less I like driving in the winter. So like JYD said might wait until it's on Netflix.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The last movie I saw at a theater was Thou Shall Not Grow Old. It would be a tough act to follow. If you haven't seen it, check out the trailers. WWI in color with real footage.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

I don't mind fondling this at all.
1916 Luger top (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

sheepdog wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:12 pm I don't mind fondling this at all.

1916 Luger top (2).jpg
More please.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

My dad bought it with a holster, m40 helmet and a few boxes of 1944 marked ammo for 100 bucks around 1960. How the Black Widow grips got on it is anyone's guess but they're real and they fit perfectly. The folks over at one of the Luger forums offered big bucks for them. Both magazines are mismatched, both WW2 Mauser mags so who knows maybe a late rework. Every other number matches. I have shot it a few times and it's quite accurate but one mag is troublesome.
1916 Luger right with hold open.jpg
1916 Luger barrel marks.jpg
1916 DWM Luger left..jpg
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I'm not concerned about sociopaths as much as the disease filled kids and parents. I never go to the cinema anymore. But, that's just because every thing produced now is either vile or non factual. Also, like the boss, even if I wanted to go out, I'm too cheap to pay the cinema prices anymore. I'd take it one step further. Eventually, YouTube will have the movie in full for free. I'll wait... If I don't live that long, I wouldn't have missed anything anyway. It's just fantasy like all movies..
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

qz2026 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:09 am I'm not concerned about sociopaths as much as the disease filled kids and parents. I never go to the cinema anymore. But, that's just because every thing produced now is either vile or non factual. Also, like the boss, even if I wanted to go out, I'm too cheap to pay the cinema prices anymore. I'd take it one step further. Eventually, YouTube will have the movie in full for free. I'll wait... If I don't live that long, I wouldn't have missed anything anyway. It's just fantasy like all movies..
One of the best kept secrets around here, the Cherokee Cinemas. We go to matinees there maybe 3 times a yr., there is never over 20 people there. The place is less than 15 yrs. old, nice chairs and clean. It's the only theatre around I'll go to.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Went and seen this movie this evening and was not impressed at all. Nope not one bit. :b sad:

The best part was when the rat set off the trip wire but it was all down hill after that and wasn't even worth the price of a tub of popcorn.

Two tubs of popcorn out of five and I'm being generous. :pop: :pop:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

We need another Mosin Nagant movie :oji: Maybe a Hollywood version of the "Winter war".
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

steelbuttplate wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:56 pm We need another Mosin Nagant movie :oji: Maybe a Hollywood version of the "Winter war".
That would be cool. :vcool:

But getting back to WW1 movies one that I really liked was The War Horse. :thumbsup:

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I saw the movie and parts were good, parts were funny and parts were dragged out.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Saw this movie with my 11 year old, came home and immediately dug out the MK III Enfield and bayonet, we'll probably see it again this weekend :thumbsup: :pop:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

In the last ten years or so, I have read a lot of books about troops on both sides of the Eastern Front in WWII. Many of them could make great movies. JYD could rent Steven Spielberg all of the rifles for the massed Soviet troops. Maybe I will give Stephen a call.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

SA1911a1 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:48 am In the last ten years or so, I have read a lot of books about troops on both sides of the Eastern Front in WWII. Many of them could make great movies. JYD could rent Steven Spielberg all of the rifles for the massed Soviet troops. Maybe I will give Stephen a call.
I made an attempt to figure out who supplied the Enfields to make 1917 no luck yet. It appears there are still a few around in Great Britain and the examples in the movie are all in pretty good shape, nicer than mine :British:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

qz2026 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:09 am I'm not concerned about sociopaths as much as the disease filled kids and parents. I never go to the cinema anymore. But, that's just because every thing produced now is either vile or non factual. Also, like the boss, even if I wanted to go out, I'm too cheap to pay the cinema prices anymore. I'd take it one step further. Eventually, YouTube will have the movie in full for free. I'll wait... If I don't live that long, I wouldn't have missed anything anyway. It's just fantasy like all movies..
Dang QZ, look what you wrote a couple months before the movie theaters and the rest of the entire planet got shut down. Well except for Antartica!
And fir you Netflix guys, it's on there now. For a rental fee. I liked it ok. I went one Saturday when I was looking for something to do. The new was worn off of it and there was only a few of us in the whole place. The rifles did look good in this one.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

You guys might want to check out "Indian Horse" on Netflix. Best I've seen in a while. Ojibeways in it Sonny !.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

steelbuttplate wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:13 pm You guys might want to check out "Indian Horse" on Netflix. Best I've seen in a while. Ojibeways in it Sonny !.
There is also a good football movie called "Greatness"