1944 Izhevsk PU Sniper refurbishment

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
paulinho

1944 Izhevsk PU Sniper refurbishment

Post by paulinho »

Hi everyone,
I currently own an 1944 Izhevsk PU Sniper for 18 years and I would like to have your analysis.
I'm curious to know if it's real refurbishment sniper or not (60s).
The rifle arrived in Italy in the 90s.
I will add more photos.
Paolo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulinho

Re: 1944 Izhevsk PU Sniper refurbishment

Post by paulinho »

I add more photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulinho

Post by paulinho »

last photo
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Its a legit refurb 44 Izhevsk PU sniper. The scope is a replacement as the original scope number has been ground off. Rvidence of this is in the pics of the reciever lip where the left side of the barrel meets up. Not real common to see these not restamped gor the new scope number, but not rare either
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Grinding Mark's inside circles area
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

Very similar to mine which is also a '44 Izhevsk with a scrubbed scope serial number that hasn't been restamped but has a faint "4" still visible.Your rifle also has the same "WF" stamp on the barrel shank near the receiver, this is the mark of the German firearms import/export company called Waffen Frankonia.The small stamp to the left on my receiver is a British nitro proofmark I believe.

German proof marks on both yours and mine show they were proofed for Nitro in Mellrichszadt, Germany, these marks were used between 1968 and 1992.

It also looks as though your stock has been refinished post Soviet refurb as it looks as though there is finish on the scope mount cut out edges, I think these were left unfinished by the Russians.
paulinho

Post by paulinho »

Thank you very much for your informations. :thumbsup:
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

I wonder if our rifles were from the same batch imported into German by Waffen Frankonia?, apparently the previous owner of mine had it for nearly 30 years so the timeframe isn't far off.
paulinho

Post by paulinho »

Good question, I do not know exactly which year has arrived in Italy. I remember that the old owner said he got it from German importer, he filled out an order form where he could choose between 3 conditions of conservation state.
There was no catalog with photos, you could not choose which rifle! He chose only the best condition on the order form.
I remember he talked about the Berlin Wall, so I can speculate that it arrived in Italy between 1990 and 1991.
I bought it in 2001.
I remember well that he told me all this information but I was young and I did not dare to ask copies of the documents. I will try to contact him.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

How hard is it to get guns in Italy?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
paulinho

Post by paulinho »

Obviously the Italian State controls very well every person who requires permission to detain weapons. Once you get the license to buy and use the weapons, for weapons of new generation, no problem to find (absolutely no automatic weapons). The difficulty for ex ordnance weapons is to find the right piece! Collectors are there and in the past years many beautiful weapons entered in Italy. As always, studying (is never enough), hunting the piece, buying.
I recently bought this book ( Collecting the american sniper rifle 1945 to 2000) for the study of Garand M1D before buying.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

paulinho wrote:Obviously the Italian State controls very well every person who requires permission to detain weapons. Once you get the license to buy and use the weapons, for weapons of new generation, no problem to find (absolutely no automatic weapons). The difficulty for ex ordnance weapons is to find the right piece! Collectors are there and in the past years many beautiful weapons entered in Italy. As always, studying (is never enough), hunting the piece, buying.
I recently bought this book ( Collecting the american sniper rifle 1945 to 2000) for the study of Garand M1D before buying.

Good luck with buying a legit M1D as they are easy to build since all you really need is a Barrel for a D since the mounting system is part of the barrel and there are no clear records of the s/n's they where produced in because they used recycled recievers. . The M1C and Mc1 are a lot harder to fake because of the work require to the reciever to afix the mount and they have a known s/n range.

Thats why I like the Springfield 03A4, virtually impossible to fake because of the positioning of the barrel shank model numbers and s/n.
wawa

Re: remodelación de Izhevsk PU Sniper 1944

Post by wawa »

This target is incredible! Would you be so kind to give me the rejection of ammunition?
thx
paulinho

Post by paulinho »

Hi wawa,
I sent you a PM