500 yard scope?

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
Sonny

500 yard scope?

Post by Sonny »

I ordered a Remington 700 SPS in .308 win with a bull barrel.My goal is to hit the gong at 500 yards.

I don't want to go with a really expensive scope but I would like a good quality scope in the mid price range.

Kinda been thinking of one of these but would like to tap into the vast experience that this forum holds.

Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50
Leupold VX3i 4.5x14x40
Nikon Black x1000 6-24x50

Is there other scopes that I should be looking at? :vconfused:
Brake Weight

Re: 500 yard scope?

Post by Brake Weight »

For my .308w bull barrel I went with a Redfield. I’ve yet to shoot more than 100 yards, though. Can’t say what it’ll do at distance. But in the store the clarity was better than the Vortex I went to buy and was cheaper. I got their AccuRanger version that can you can estimate distances with by zooming in on known object heights. Worth a look at anyway.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
entropy

Post by entropy »

The Leupold has the best glass of the three, but lowest magnification. All three are good glass,

Ranked, 1. Leupold-Is this the First focal plane model, or the second focal plane model? There is only $100 difference at Midway. The FFP would stand out over the Vortex and Nikon, both of which are second.
2. Vortex- The HS Long Range 6-24 by 50 is an FFP scope for the price of the Leupold SFP. I'd pick it over the HS 4-16
3. Nikon-Highest power of your three, but SFP. I'm not familiar enough with Nikon's x1000 series scopes, but Nikon glass is always good at any price point.

If you're not looking to break the bank, and are willing to put up with a busy reticle, the Burris Fullfield E1 6.5-20 might be worth a look at $500 & free shipping at Midway. (Not sure if free shipping goes all the way to Canada, maybe they cut you a deal, eh? :wink:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

entropy wrote:The Leupold has the best glass of the three, but lowest magnification. All three are good glass,

Ranked, 1. Leupold-Is this the First focal plane model, or the second focal plane model? There is only $100 difference at Midway. The FFP would stand out over the Vortex and Nikon, both of which are second.
2. Vortex- The HS Long Range 6-24 by 50 is an FFP scope for the price of the Leupold SFP. I'd pick it over the HS 4-16
3. Nikon-Highest power of your three, but SFP. I'm not familiar enough with Nikon's x1000 series scopes, but Nikon glass is always good at any price point.

If you're not looking to break the bank, and are willing to put up with a busy reticle, the Burris Fullfield E1 6.5-20 might be worth a look at $500 & free shipping at Midway. (Not sure if free shipping goes all the way to Canada, maybe they cut you a deal, eh? :wink:
lol..Some shit including scopes are verboten to be exported from the USA to Canada..

But I will look into the Burris scopes. :thumbsup:
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Brake Weight wrote:For my .308w bull barrel I went with a Redfield. I’ve yet to shoot more than 100 yards, though. Can’t say what it’ll do at distance. But in the store the clarity was better than the Vortex I went to buy and was cheaper. I got their AccuRanger version that can you can estimate distances with by zooming in on known object heights. Worth a look at anyway.
Redfield..... hmmm..Never thought to check them out..Thanks BW.. :thumbsup:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

entropy wrote:The Leupold has the best glass of the three, but lowest magnification. All three are good glass,

Could you elaborate upon the ffp vs. sfp, and the pros and cons? Explain it like you are explaining it to that slow cousin we all have. I might get it then.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

millman wrote:

Could you elaborate upon the ffp vs. sfp, and the pros and cons? Explain it like you are explaining it to that slow cousin we all have. I might get it then.
To late...ordered a Vortex Viper HS 4-16X50 at Cabelas. Saved 40% on the Black Friday sale. :thumbsup:
entropy

Post by entropy »

For our slow cousin, millman. :wink:

FFP: First Focal Plane; The reticle stays the same size at all magnifications. Useless for ranging, but does not block out the target as much. Expensive, but worth it if you're shooting a long range. FFP reticles are usually etched onto the glass itself, then inked in for contrast.

SFP: Second Focal Plane: the reticle changes size with magnification. This is sort of like multi-viscosity oil; potentially useful, except it works opposite if the way it should. The reticle gets bigger at high magnification, blocking out the target. Most variable scopes are SFP. The reticles can be either wire, or etched.

I was actually considering the Viper HS 4-14 for my Axis for deer and coyotes, but Ron tossed a deal my way on a Nikon that I couldn't pass up.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

About an inch group with Winchester ammo.

I'm going to wait for a warmer day to fine tune it with some good Federal ammo. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

Sonny wrote:About an inch group with Winchester ammo.

I'm going to wait for a warmer day to fine tune it with some good Federal ammo. :thumbsup:
Good shooting. Sight it in for the temp/conditions you expect to hunt in.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Consistently hitting the 300 yard gong..Well last ten shots I had nine hits.

Dialing in that scope one yard at a time.. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Sonny wrote:

lol..Some shit including scopes are verboten to be exported from the USA to Canada..

But I will look into the Burris scopes. [emoji106]
U.S. lifted the ban on exporting scopes. Scope just has to be under $500 in value to Canada.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Woohoo thanks capt14k.. :thumbsup:

That's good news but my credit card won't like it.. :D