7.62x54r Light Load

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
tjtM38

7.62x54r Light Load

Post by tjtM38 »

I was looking for a load somewhat easier on the shoulder out of my M38. I have never loaded a bullet this light in 7.62x54r, but I guess after making 40 rounds of the stuff, I am going to be disappointed if they are not good shooters.

Here's the load:

PROJECTILE: Lapua 7.62 (.311 diameter) 123 grain FMJ. These bullets are designed to be used in the Mosin Nagant or similar rifles.
CASE: Winchester (probably Sellier and Bellot since the origin is Czech Republic)
PRIMER: Federal 210 Large Rifle
PROPELLANT: IMR 4895
CHARGE: 47.2 grains
COL: 2.80 INCHES

I will try to give a range report after I try them in the M38 or M91/30.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
entropy

Re: 7.62x54r Light Load

Post by entropy »

Those bullets are designed for the AK and SKS, but they work fine for light Mosin loads, too. I load 'em a lot lighter than that.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

entropy wrote:Those bullets are designed for the AK and SKS, but they work fine for light Mosin loads, too. I load 'em a lot lighter than that.
AK bullets are typically .310 diameter; these are .311 which fits the bores of most of my Mosin Nagants. I agree; these are not on the low end of the load spectrum, but they are not max loads either. My Hornady manual says they should turn about 2700 FPS. The max load for a 123 grain was slightly over 50 grains.
entropy

Post by entropy »

And .45 ACP bullets are usually .451, but .452 designed for .45 LC, works also. Lapua does market their .311 123gr. bullet as being for 7.62x53R (the Finnish designation for 7.62x54R) , they would work fine in an AK or SKS also. Indeed it's the same bullet they load in their 7.62x39 ammo. The reverse, a .310 bullet works fine in Mosins also. Most .311 bullets are marketed for .303 British or 7.7mm Japanese.

Lehigh defense markets a .311 123 gr. HP for the AK, looks like a wicked bullet. Might have to order some to load up for my son to take a deer with the AK.

If you wanted a really light load, pop some .32 ACP bullets (which are also .311) on top of 12 gr. of Red Dot. I used .310 round balls in .30-30 over about 5 or 6 gr. of Unique for popping rabbits, squirrels and grouse while deer hunting. That'd work in 7.62x54R also.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

These really light loads with pistol bullets and fast burning powder scare me a bit. I would prefer to stick with book data that I have on hand. Despite the fact that I don't cast bullets, some of the cast bullet loads that I have seen in this and other forums interest me.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I'm glad I bought that crate of Czech PRACTICE AMMO When I did. Wife & kids like shooting this in the Mosins.... Should be a long while before I need to load light loads in 7.62x54r.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Update: This hand load was not the mildest shooting load like the Czech practice/training ammo, but it was pretty special at the range. So was my Tula M91/30 at 100 yards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Accuracy looks good. If you want to go lighter, I'd recommend some cast loads. I haven't personally loaded any 7.62x54r loads, but I have for other military surplus rifles with varying degrees of success. I find that it takes a little time to find the right load. I don't use the same powders as I do with the jacketed stuff, so that might be something you don't want to do? Some do though. You have to be very careful with the magnum pistol powders. One round at a time and the utmost concentration. Then triple check. Trailboss would probably be the safest cast bullet powder to use. You wouldn't have any issues with over charging the case with Trailboss. I don't cast my own, but I can recommend Montana Bullet Works. Not the cheapest out there, but the quality seemed really good and I've gotten some excellent accuracy loads in my Argentine carbine that has very little recoil. Makes it a joy to shoot.

I grabbed some of that Czech low recoil stuff recently at a show, but I haven't shot it yet.
33piedmont

Post by 33piedmont »

Great work! I'm glad you got good results with the lighter projectiles, thanks for sharing.
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

I like Vihtavouri n140 40,0grs Lapua 200grs. Fmjbt .310 in M91 and M39 rifles. Only in Finn D. Lapua and Norma brass. CCI primers God Bless America Pro Libertate Patria
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

I am having a bit of a problem finding a load that will work in my m44. I am using Missouri bullets made for the MN (Russian-Grooveless
.312 Diameter 167 Grain FP - Grooveless. I am only shooting at 50 yards and having a hard time getting on 8x10 paper. I am trying to work up light loads, to shave my shoulder. Any suggestions? Even if you can steer me in the right direction would be helpful. The PPU seem to shoot reasonably well but are punishing.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

This will be moved to the "Ammo section" shortly.

Anatomy of a Czech, low recoil, hollow core, short range round

It is about a 48 grain bullet (aprox.)
45 to 50 grain of powder (aprox.)
Very accurate out to 100 yards
Has full powder charge, so still has muzzle flash from those short Mosins
Hardly any recoil
Reported 3700 fps
Hard to find ammo
Hollow core (not hollow point, not exactly) with a two steel inner layers that has copper plating on the outside .
Steel case

Sometime called "practice ammo" or "hollow point" (actually the entire core is hollow, not just the point).
It has the appearance of a nylon insert in the nose (to some), but it is just paint on the nose of the bullet.

It usually comes in a blue box

Has a rounded nose bullet and a steel case

Extracted Bullet

View of the nose of the bullet. Note the white paint is flaking and chipped off. Proving it is not a nylon insert of any kind.

View of the rear of the bullet

Steel Casing

Powder Weight

Bullet Weight

Berdan Primer

On the rear of the bullet, you can see the inner steel hollow core from the copper plated outer steel core

Bullet was sawed down the middle in two pieces

On the left side is the bullet with the outer steel core that is copper plated
On the right side is the inner steel core with the outer steel jacket removed.
The inner steel core resembles the shape of an old milk bottle and is open on the nose end but
closed at the base while the outer copper plated core is closed at the nose and open at the base (opposite)

Another view

Another view

Compare this photo with the photo below and you can see the inner core from the copper cladding outside.

This photo shows you where the steel core stops and the outer copper plated steel core starts.

A few edits have been made to the above.

There are two steel cores. The outside one is copper plated and the inner one is not. One fits into the other to make a complete bullet.
At first, I though the outer core was solid copper, but after further destructive analysis, it is determined the outer core is also steel and just copper plated.