Hoppes kit

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MarkB

Hoppes kit

Post by MarkB »

Hey guys this might be a stupid question but is it alright to use the brass cleaning brush that came in this kit on my mosin? Thanks for any and all help. Cheers!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Hoppes kit

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That depends , do you have brass on your Mosin? If so it will only be the handguard endcaps, they are already protected by the shellac that is probably all over them and do not require any further attention.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
runs.like

Post by runs.like »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:That depends , do you have brass on your Mosin....
I'm thinking he meant the bore brush made from brass.....
I'm not the one to ask that question to, have a few different brass brushes that I rarely use, but I suspect that brass being softer that your bore would cause it no harm.... disclaimer I am no expert in mosin cleaning or materials and have never use the brass brush on my own, though I have used them on other fire arms with no ill effects
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Yes i was wondering about the bore brush? Just wondering if it would be ok to scrub the bore with the brass brush I wanted to be sure about it before I actually done it. Thanks guys.
runs.like

Post by runs.like »

id wait till you get someone who knows more than me to confirm.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

You actually want to use the aluminum or brass rod that came with your kit in addition to the brass bore brush. The rifle's cleaning rod is made of the same steel as the barrel, therefore could damage the bore over time. But yes, a good, modern commercial cleaning kit and accessories are just fine.

Its a good question :)
Last edited by MN Fan on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

By all means use the bronze brush. I have found that .338-.375 brushes fit tighter, and give a better scrub than the .30 brush that comes in most cleaning kits. You aren't gonna hurt the bore with a bronze brush.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh, the bore brush, yes, use it, just don't use any stainless steel ones in these older rifles, or any rifle for that matter. The bronze brush will clean without putting undue wear on your rifling.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
dropkick66

Post by dropkick66 »

i just looked at my brush and the brush is plastic.....not brass i guess im good then
****1926 Tula 91/30 hex ex-dragoon ****M59/66A1 SkS
****1929 Izhevsk 91/30 hex ex-dragoon ****1954 type 53
****1931 Izhevsk 91/30 hex ex-dragoon. ****1955 type 53
****1938 Izhevsk 91/30 round ****1954 type 53
****1939 Tula 91/30 round ****1954 type 53
****1940 Izhevsk 91/30 round. *****1945 Izhevsk M44
****1943 Tula 91/30 Ex-Sniper
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

dropkick66 wrote:i just looked at my brush and the brush is plastic.....not brass i guess im good then
I have a plastic one as well and it does not scrub as well as the bronze brushes.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Plastic? Been awhile since I had any of them, you can find bronze cleaning brushes at Wallmart, or online.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have only gotten one plastic brush in all of my kits and that was a finnish kit. But i never use it. I use the 338 brush also. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Some cleaning rods may be a bit short when pushing through from the breach end, which I highly reccomend, as cleaning from the muzzle is more apt to nick or wear it and effect accuracy, so I like to use .32 caliber pistol bronze wire brushes and an M1916 USGI brass cleaning rod.

The new carbon fiber rods are also really great as well. Just do not use steel, or any jointed cleaning rod. Always a one piece.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Thanks for all the info I'll clean the bore on her tomorrow with the brass brush. I'm not gonna lie I have used the Mosin cleaning kit but put the full thing together as in the crown protector and all that jazz it just didn't clean all that great. The Hoppes rod screws together. Cheers!
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

MarkB wrote: The Hoppes rod screws together. Cheers!
Keep the handle with the short piece of rod permanently attached for pistols, and dump the rest. Jointed rods can nick and wear rifling particularly as they loosen up. Please get the one piece.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Tipton, or Dewey one piece rod, just be sure to get one long enough so you can clean from the breech end.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

To summarize, get yourself a good quality Carbon one piece cleaning rod, 8mm-.338 QUALITY bronze brushes & lots of them, a good brass jag in .30 caliber, a big bag of good patches, Kroil, CLP Break-free, Hoppes, Sweets 7.62, Foaming bore cleaner & some JB Bore Paste.

Also, a good cleaning mat, Gunsmith screwdriver kit, Lemon oil, paper towels, old toothbrush, brass brush, Q-tips, mink oil for leather, silicone gun cloth, bore light & safety glasses.

That's a good start to your ULTIMATE bench must-have list. :biggrin:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There are some eBay and Gunbroker sellers who offer .30 cleaning patches by the 500 and 1000 count, the round ones. Buy in bulk and save, I buy 2000 every other year or when I need them, don't remember the sellers name from last time, but shop around and you will find some on one or the other sites.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I by white flannel by the yard at Wally world and cut it to make patches.

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Get the one piece rod in a minimum of 40" and try your best to find a 44". Clean from the beach after removing the bolt. The Tipton rod is under 40.00 and would be a bargain at twice the price