$663 for a 91/59???

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NLMosin

$663 for a 91/59???

Post by NLMosin »

I know its a hex and 'uncommon' but just how uncommon are they that $663+$35 is the going rate for a 6 on the rarity rating for mosin variations?? I got out at $400 when I realized I was out of my league. But I had no idea how out I was!! :shock:
pix477494574.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Fledge

Re: $663 for a 91/59???

Post by Fledge »

I am guessing this was the one on GB. Yeah I heard about it :shock:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

A Russian M-44 no import marks sold for $1050 a few days ago :chuckles: Is we all gonna be rich? :shifty:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice deal for some seller if the buyer comes up with the payment.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
JoeZ

Post by JoeZ »

Good thing you were able to control yourself and jump out at 400. I don't know that I would have been able to get that high without really sweating.
B24

Post by B24 »

I found a 1934 Izhevsk 91/59 last October for 200 bucks, QZ2026 was quick to let me know that it would bring 400 to 600
at auction depending on condition so $663 might not be so out of line considering common refurbs are at or over $200.
This hobby is getting more expensive by the day.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

That price is nuts. Great if you can get it,but don't hold your breath.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

B24

Post by B24 »

Ironnewt wrote:That price is nuts. Great if you can get it,but don't hold your breath.

I didn't have to hold my breath, the pawn shop was asking $225 and I got him down to $200 OTD. I would have give more
than his asking price but it doesn't hurt to try and get it for less and this time it paid off. This is the only 91/59 I have
ever seen in person and it's mine now. I do not try to educate pawn shop owners on what they have.
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

My LGS/pawn has a good grasp on pricing. He's got several Mosins and surplus on the wall. I glanced at the tags and walked away. I should try and haggle him down but I do t want him to know my eagerness. I'll get some info off of them next time I'm in for a educated internet opinion.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

B24 wrote:I found a 1934 Izhevsk 91/59 last October for 200 bucks, QZ2026 was quick to let me know that it would bring 400 to 600
at auction depending on condition so $663 might not be so out of line considering common refurbs are at or over $200.
This hobby is getting more expensive by the day.
Ain't that the truth. Guys are asking for over $300 for 91/30s around here. Nuts!
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This hobby isn't getting more expensive, it's just returning to normal after years of massive imports from the former east block artificially driving prices down. Party's over and it's 1984 again, sellers market, you want to play you will have to pay.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:This hobby isn't getting more expensive, it's just returning to normal after years of massive imports from the former east block artificially driving prices down. Party's over and it's 1984 again, sellers market, you want to play you will have to pay.
Exactly. Consider what a a rare Mauser, Springfield or rare 1911 goes for in today's market. Consider a standard refurb 91/30 is going for $250-$300 and then an uncommon 91/59 comes along North of $600? That sounds about right. Retail... But about right.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

This isn't the first time that I have seen one of these go for this kind of money. Last year a 1922 went for over $700. I was intently watching this one as well but didn't bid on it. I'm a last 15 minute bidder, so when I logged on I was shocked (not really-more disappointed ) that it was up this high. I would have paid a premium for the gun but not that much. I would have liked a '35 hex to go with my '35 round, which in many ways is a bit more rare than the hex. Oh well... That is just insanity but this is the trend on GunBroker now. I know of a few bidders that will pay anything for these guns. The winner of the auction may be one of them - I didn't look too closely.

BTW, the rarity scale, in many ways, is outdated and doesn't reflect the rarity of many Mosins, especially the 91/59, primarily because of the large number of mid war year's 91/59's that are out there. But, even they are beginning to demand mid 3's now. There are other ways I have found to acquire these guns. Finding them in pawn shops is one sure fire way to find one at a decent price - B24's purchase is a good example of this. They are out there if this niche interest you. You just have to find different avenues to travel.

As JYD said, the party is over. As I told Fledge when we discussed this yesterday, I'm glad I got in when I did. Filling holes now has become more difficult :roll: But, hey..., every time I see something like this, my collection increases in value :D Life is good...
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I'm to the point that GunBroker , while not dead to me, is only a place I check every once in a while.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

qz2026 wrote:Finding them in pawn shops is one sure fire way to find one at a decent price - B24's purchase is a good example of this. They are out there if this niche interest you. You just have to find different avenues to travel....
\

Agreed. But here in NY I'm very limited. Gun shops are a thing of the past. Real gun shops that is.... and Pawn shops here are full of junk. Havent seen a single firearm in a local pawn shop here...Sooner or later I'll plunk down the $663 for the hex 91/59 of my dreams...that was the purpose of the OP. To get all you smart fellas to tell me you think its worth it.... :brows:
People live together.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Many sellers want to treat all milsurps as niche items that command amazing prices. One of these has large numbers of ex-Dragoons that he wants $500 for. They don't move and just garbage-up my searches.

There are two markets: the rational market, which has a price range that can still be estimated, and the irrational market. The seller I describe above is in the latter.

I think this was just a case of some folks really wanting this particular rifle, and being willing to go deep to get it. To the buyer, the price may be a deal in his mind when weighed against how far he would have gone.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

djbuck1 wrote:Many sellers want to treat all milsurps as niche items that command amazing prices. One of these has large numbers of ex-Dragoons that he wants $500 for. They don't move and just garbage-up my searches.

There are two markets: the rational market, which has a price range that can still be estimated, and the irrational market. The seller I describe above is in the latter.

I think this was just a case of some folks really wanting this particular rifle, and being willing to go deep to get it. To the buyer, the price may be a deal in his mind when weighed against how far he would have gone.
...The buyers and sellers in the rational market remember the glory days of $69 mosins and bought the gems for a hundred or so. They are basing their estimated pricing on the historical pricing changes. The ideal market for NTCM (new to collecting mosins) folks is the rational market because thats where the reality pricing is but that takes some effort to get a foot in the door of... The NTCM buyers fall into the irrational market then. But it is only an irrational market to the rational buyers...NTCM buyers dont know the old market when they enter the arena and see todays pricing as the only pricing available. This cyclical trend will go on forever...Anyone who owns a mosin right now will at some time have an effect on the market of the future. Some sellers are now releasing their product into the stream with the profits that they had intended to make when they purchased the rifles in the first place. No surprise there. The NTCM buyer can only hope that at some time in the future their purchase will render them a profit if they intend to sell. Im sure there are plenty of 'never selling' collectors out there looking at their herd and thinking, "what can I thin out to reap some of these profits."

I buy what I feel is a good value at the time of the purchase. I have looked at the $500 ex-drags that djbuck1 is talking about and if I didnt have that spot filled in my herd I may jump at one. Tomorrow they may be the only ones I can find and be $525! If I were one of you guys sitting on a bunch of gems I'd be happy that all this is going on. And I would be happy to pay any of you what you would consider 'too much money' for one of those gems. Win for me win for you in the long run. When it comes to the mosin market.....GO LONG. :2cents:
People live together.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Isn't a hex receiver 91/59 unusual?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

SA1911a1 wrote:Isn't a hex receiver 91/59 unusual?
Yes, because most of the M91/59's were made from "newer" round receiver M91/30's.

The M91/38's were made from older M91/03's, so it is rare to see a round receiver on a M91/38.

So rare it commands $663???????? It is if you want it bad enough. :thumbsup:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

dolk wrote:
SA1911a1 wrote:Isn't a hex receiver 91/59 unusual?
Yes, because most of the M91/59's were made from "newer" round receiver M91/30's.

The M91/38's were made from older M91/03's, so it is rare to see a round receiver on a M91/38.

So rare it commands $663???????? It is if you want it bad enough. :thumbsup:
The higher they go, the better I like it. My retirement is looking happy. To heck with all of the new comers. :devil2: ;mywink;
Aut Pax Aut Bellum