North Vietnamese SKS, Type-1 NVA

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
martin08

North Vietnamese SKS, Type-1 NVA

Post by martin08 »

I picked up this Type-1 NVA SKS carbine at the beginning of the month, so it's about time to show some pics!

The Star-1 stamp on the receiver is the telling mark. These SKS carbines, when found in the U.S., can come from only one source - Vietnam. No capture papers accompany the gun, but it was brought back by a member of the U.S. Armed Forces from SE Asia in the late 1960's or early 1970's. No other sources for import have been observed or recorded to date.

Prince50 of SKS Boards has assembled the most comprehensive database for serial number recording, and may be found in the following link. There are four observed prefix codes to the serial numbers, 62, 63, 64, and 65. Of the final four numerals in the serial number sequence from the database, there is an incremental increase which can be observed across all prefix code units, beginning at the number 0030 and ending at 5805. This pattern heavily suggests that there was a total production of at least 5775 Type-1 SKS carbines. To date, only about five dozen examples have been noted in the States.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=134043.0

This particular carbine doesn't disappoint. It is all original matching numbers, with a moderate jungle patina appearance. The stock exhibits the typical black-colored leaching of corrosion/mold which develops around the small metal parts. The soiled and sweat-stained sling is an early Chinese AK/SKS with the double metal leash-style clips (vs. leather tab). The original bayonet still has stake marks for the retaining screw, and it comes complete with cleaning rod and kit.

Now, with two NVA marked SKS's in my possession to study, I have done some extensive comparisons to early Chinese SKS carbines in an effort to uncover the mystery behind where/when these guns were built. There is no smoking gun evidence.

The receivers, bolts and carriers are stamped with inspection marks consistent with 1959-1961 Chinese production, as with rear sight leaf marking, stock construction, sling swivel placement and stock numbering font. Exhaustive vernier caliper measurements and pictorial comparisons of the receiver, barrel, bayo lug, gas block, rear sight block, mag, trigger group and receiver cover reveal no differences at all to the Chinese guns ca. 1960. A couple of machining/finish observations - the sharper bends of the front stock ferrule and the relief cut of the stripper clip guide - do reveal slight differences from the Chinese guns. But these are very subtle, and could merely indicate the use of a dedicated parts lot batch and/or machinist practice along the assembly line.

Wish I could point to some more specific evidence, but the conclusion for production/assembly origin is still a mystery. These guns could have been built and marked completely in China, or partially to fully assembled/marked in North Vietnam. It is, however, safe to say that the major parts (barreled receiver, bolt group, trigger group) were Chinese built, and the guns were produced at any time from 1959 to 1965.

Pics, enjoy, and thanks for looking.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: North Vietnamese SKS, Type-1 NVA

Post by millman »

Sweet. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Now that is cool!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Okay, that's it!! You are just not playing fair anymore.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
krazy_horse

Post by krazy_horse »

I would love to hold this old girl and see what she had to say. Very nice.
captsupercow

Post by captsupercow »

That is one cool rifle! Thanks for sharing. :)
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

That would look so cool if you drilled and tapped it for a scope and put it in a plastic stock. NOT!!! Awesome piece, and thanks for the history lesson.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

:Drool1: Where do you keep finding all these incredible rifles Martin? Thanks for sharing, that's awesome! :thumbsup: