Now Playing at Big 5 ..... Mauser

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
one finger john

Now Playing at Big 5 ..... Mauser

Post by one finger john »

Now playing at local Big 5 Sporting Goods ..... Zastava M48 Yugo 8mm Mauser Rifles on sale today for only 269.99 regularily 299.99.
These rifles are in "good" condition.

No Mosins in sight. Want to buy something. Got the itch. Is this a good buy, o.k. buy or a so-so buy?

John
SA1911a1

Re: Now Playing at Big 5 ..... Mauser

Post by SA1911a1 »

I would be sorely tempted! I bought my first Yugo six or eight months ago and it started a new addiction. What they lack in historica value they make up by being fun on the range.

Go for it!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
one finger john

Post by one finger john »

Where is the build date? Anything else to aware of? Bore, headspace? overall condition?

John

Here in the San Fernando Valley each Big 5 got two Mausers. They have not been moving.

What are their pros & cons? What is a killer deal?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good solid Mauser's , you would have to check bore and headspace of course but these make excellent working rifles. I bought one 30 years ago and it's fired countless thousands of rounds at the range.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Have they been scrubbed of their crests? I bought my M48 from fellow member entropy 5 or 6 years ago with bayonet. It is a shooter.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
8X56R

Post by 8X56R »

My local Big 5 only had one. The stock was a little rough and had one repair. The bluing maybe 80%. The grade of "Good" seemed accurate.

The crest was not scubbed on the rifle I looked at..
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Scrubbed, or built sanitized in the first place. Mine is one of the ones that was supposed to have come in from Syria, no markings ever stamped on the rifle. Took me awhile back in the days before the internet to figure who made the rifle, ID from tiny stamps. stock was, and still is dinged here and there, but mechanically it's great.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is also probably the last time you will see a European made M1898 action K98 style Mauser selling for under $300
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Longcolt44 wrote:Have they been scrubbed of their crests? I bought my M48 from fellow member entropy 5 or 6 years ago with bayonet. It is a shooter.

A very good Shooter. I was loathe to part with it, but we needed a running vehicle; you know, get to work, and all that jazz. I am glad you are getting it out and sending rounds down range with it! :thumbsup:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

No build date (specific). Just have to go by the parts. M48 proper should have all milled parts and no stamped parts. Made in the 50s. M48A has some stamped parts. If there are parts stamped on a m48 then they were replaced or repaired. I think the price is not too bad :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)