Three North Korean SKS Pics! And Soviet Comparison

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
martin08

Three North Korean SKS Pics! And Soviet Comparison

Post by martin08 »

Over the winter I brokered some military surplus guns for my local FFL. This afforded me the rare opportunity to gather three North Korean Type-63 carbines (one is mine, the other two were sold) in the same place, at the same time. I would have been remiss if I didn't take some pics!

And with some recent questions as to whether a Soviet SKS could be "faked" as a North Korean, I also included some comparison pics of a Russian SKS with the laminate stock to illustrate some key differences with the Type-63.

Of course, a Russian SKS could be scrubbed and re-marked with stamps to resemble a North Korean, and it would need to be a flawless job it duplicate the NK serial number characters, the Type-63 receiver cover stamp, and the battlesight zero marking on the rear sight leaf. I think one could readily discover that these markings, as in the following pics, would need some very special skills to duplicate without noticeable alterations having been performed.

But aside from the difficult metal stamping logistics, there are also definite differences in construction. First, the front stock ferrule. On the North Korean, there is a very sharp "corner" at the transition from the front face of the ferrule to the thin half-circle collar which captures the stock.

North Korean stock ferrule - sharp corner. Followed by Russan - rounded corner

Next, the leading edge of the North Korean gas block (at the bottom of the sloped face) is straight. The leading edge of the Russian gas block is rounded to the contour of the barrel.

North Korean gas blocks with "straight" leading edge. Followed by Russian with rounded leading edge.

Some North Korean guns were also retrofitted with gas valve (Russian left, North Korean Right)

Bolt carriers on the North Korean will have a rounded stripper clip guide, and the Russian will have a squared stripper clip guide. Also a good comparison of the battlesight zero markings.

Russian (left), North Korean (right).

The stocks appear to have the very similar cross-grained Arctic birch laminate construction, with 45-47 laminate layers. But the North Korean will not have the horizontal laminate "plug" of wood along the bayonet groove and to the magazine cover on the underside.

North Korean (top), with visible vertical laminate layers. Russian (bottom) with horizontal layered plug in the bayonet groove.

The North Korean has a side mounted rear sling swivel, and the Russian has the bottom mounted swivel. Russian swivel on bottom in picture.

The North Korean will also have two wrist crosspins, and the Russian will have only one crosspin or crossbolt in the wrist. North Korean (top), Russian (bottom).

And finally for the stock, the grasping groove for the North Korean is shorter in length, and also has two reinforcing crosspins vs longer grasping groove and one crosspin on the Russian.

In Conclusion, if one could successfully duplicate the metal markings of the North Korean, it would also be necessary to overcome the not-so-subtle differences of the small parts and stock to convert a Russian into a believable forgery. At this point in time, with North Korean carbines trading at only $3-5,000, I don't believe that the elaborate "ground and up" effort to replicate one would be worth the time and money - if it could be done at all.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the little show and comparison of the three North Koreans vs the Russian.

So, where the heck did that fourth Type-63 come from? (heh, heh)
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Three North Korean SKS Pics! And Soviet Comparison

Post by millman »

Wow.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

millman wrote:Wow.
I'll second that and add a :Drool1:. My knowledge of NK SKS's just jumped greatly. :vcool:
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

:pointup: What millman said.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Learned a few things! Thanks......D 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

To the untrained eye, it looks like NK was machining a little less that the CCCP. Very cool!
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Pretty slick rifles. I would sure like to see the T-53 versions.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Rightwinger9

Post by Rightwinger9 »

Very interesting thread. Thank you.
OLd_Sarg

Post by OLd_Sarg »

very good write up,
thank you for that! :thumbsup:
cainesy

Post by cainesy »

Nice pics! I don't know why that model of SKS never appears in Canada. By the way Matt, where do you keep that Golden Horseshoe, I'd like to borrow it for a while.
SKhiSm 59-66

Post by SKhiSm 59-66 »

This is one of the best posts I've ever read on the www, on any subject, for a variety of reasons. I've been educated a little, if I can just manage to retain it. :D

I've come to realize reading M08's posts what a special kind of person is behind the posts. First, he has access to the right weapons to set forth as examples. Second, he clearly has the knowledge of the subjects he posts on, and last but most importantly he has the willingness to share that knowledge and the ability to communicate it very well. For all of these things to come together in one person makes for one great person to be on a forum with, so Thanks M08, :thumbsup: it's all very much appreciated.

I've known a ton of people in my life who were very well-versed on one subject or another but you couldn't get a straight answer out of them on anything, just because if they told you, they would no longer know something you don't. But I did learn from people like that how rare and valuable someone who does share is, and how important it is to let them know you appreciate it. 8-)
"And at this range, I'm a real Frederick Zoller"
Hobe Sound Falcon

Post by Hobe Sound Falcon »

Where were you able to get North Korean Type-63's? I wish I could find one. Paul :?:
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

When did NK make the SKS? Were they used in the Korean War at all? Did the NKs use Russian SKSs? I had always imagined they used plenty of the M91/30 Refurbs.
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

North Korea contracted the SKS in 1963, and if I recall correctly, they were built from 1965 to 1978. None from the Korean War era, and the few that are found in the US are Vietnam bringbacks. At this time only 33 serial numbers are recorded, so it isn't surprising that they are difficult to find.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The NCstar strippers sold today would work in these N. Korean's. They won't fit Chi-com's or Yugo's.........SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
mproko

Post by mproko »

Reading through old posts to learn...this deserves a bump to the top
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

mproko wrote:Reading through old posts to learn...this deserves a bump to the top
They are damn good looking aren't they 8-)
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
entropy

Post by entropy »

Martin08, you aren't Peter G. Kokalis writing under a pseudonym, are you? :brows:

Seriously, your threads are always that good. Tons of knowledge imparted in an engaging writing style. I read every one of them as soon as I see them posted. Keep up the good work! :vcool:

And I sure hope you kept the bottom one in the top pic; I like the wood on it. :)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I sure learned a few things today... Great presentation!!!

Another one to add to my gottahave/willneverhappen list. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Thanks, folks. Kept the top one in the first pic. It has the full grenade launcher, cut-off valve and launcher sight system.