ce 41 Mauser, Bought It Anyway

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
martin08

ce 41 Mauser, Bought It Anyway

Post by martin08 »

I was the first to answer a local online classified for a "WWII matching Mauser, non-import. $500. " Aside from the missing cleaning rod and barrel band spring, I couldn't glean much more information from the seller over the phone.

I met with him today, and discovered immediately that it wasn't a complete match - bolt sleeve, safety and cocking piece were not numbered. Rear sight leaf and handguard have different numbers. Stock is sanded, not sharp. I didn't disassemble any further (when I got it home, inside channel of stock is not numbered).

I made a half-hearted attempt to dicker on the price, and he showed me the list of 20 or more phone numbers from across the country which were waiting in line.

I liked the gun and the sling, and it's more significant than an RC to me, so I paid him. It's a J.P. Sauer ce 41, which doesn't seem to be too abundant.

Some pics, and thanks for looking.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
SA1911a1

Re: ce 41 Mauser, Bought It Anyway

Post by SA1911a1 »

I see why you found it hard to resist. Nice score.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
tpsharp

Post by tpsharp »

Very good find!
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

:cool2:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
JER

Post by JER »

I think you did well everything considered.........
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hey me too. If you didn't buy it, the next guy on the list would have. You only had one shot on this one. It was the rifle's fate. Or it was your destiny to become the caretaker. Or you both were destined for each other, or. ........well you know what I mean. :P
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

I think you did well, especially considering the sling looks original. Congratulations on it! :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

I think that you did very well! As you stated, it's not an RC, but you got it for just a bit more than RC price. :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

I would have. I'm looking for one.

I could have had one that was PERFECT, except for a sanded stock that looked very similar to yours. It was 100% matching and everything. Of course, I know the stock would be a big detriment, but it was still good. I still kick myself.

But, I keep telling myself that I'll find one that's even more perfect with an original-finish stock. But, I have had no luck so far.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I like it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Enough matching points for me :D I will never own a fully matching K98 German Mauser unless I am very lucky anyway. This is the way I like them and they are affordable
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

I know. Probably the same for me, too. I'm dying to find one with an un-messed-with stock. It seems like the first thing everyone who brought one back did was to sand the stock. I don't care if it is necessarily all matching, but I want the authentic German stock.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

very nice find.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

One of our upstanding RMNF members graciously took my Mauser under his wing and sent a band spring to complete the fore end. Many thanks!

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Casador308

Post by Casador308 »

martin08 wrote:I was the first to answer a local online classified for a "WWII matching Mauser, non-import. $500. " Aside from the missing cleaning rod and barrel band spring, I couldn't glean much more information from the seller over the phone.

I met with him today, and discovered immediately that it wasn't a complete match - bolt sleeve, safety and cocking piece were not numbered. Rear sight leaf and handguard have different numbers. Stock is sanded, not sharp. I didn't disassemble any further (when I got it home, inside channel of stock is not numbered).

I made a half-hearted attempt to dicker on the price, and he showed me the list of 20 or more phone numbers from across the country which were waiting in line.

I liked the gun and the sling, and it's more significant than an RC to me, so I paid him. It's a J.P. Sauer ce 41, which doesn't seem to be too abundant.

Hey you did good, looks like a GI bring back, GI's brought thousands back after the war. Many years ago I used to encounter then on a regular basis at local gun shows, but they seem to be long gone and nowadays when you find a decent gun they want your left you know what for it. Be happy nice gun.....
Casador308

Post by Casador308 »

martin08 wrote:I was the first to answer a local online classified for a "WWII matching Mauser, non-import. $500. " Aside from the missing cleaning rod and barrel band spring, I couldn't glean much more information from the seller over the phone.

Hey you did good, looks like a GI bring back, GI's brought thousands back after the war. Many years ago I used to encounter then on a regular basis at local gun shows, but they seem to be long gone and nowadays when you find a decent gun they want your left you know what for it. Be happy nice gun.....
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Me likey ! :thumbsup: As others said, if you didn't grab it next guy would have. Very nice score and congrats to you ! :Drool1:
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I think you did pretty good :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The new band spring looks like a nice match.