First shots with my first Mosin!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Live_2_Ride

First shots with my first Mosin!

Post by Live_2_Ride »

Hello Gents:

Mine is a tale you've all heard before, but here it goes again.

Christmas shopping at Big 5, I saw some cool, vintage rifles. They had a M1, Yugo M48, and a Mosin 91/30. Did some research and decided to buy the 91/30, but they were sold out by the time I got back. Fortunately, the store 25 miles away had two. I liked the look of one of the rifles and was really excited it was made in 1942. It also had matching serial numbers on the receiver and bolt and forced matching numbers on the mag, butt plate, and bayonet.

Bought the rifle, then waited 10 very long days until I could pick it up. During which, I filled my days by joining this forum and reading - huge thanks to all the contributors, especially the very detailed cleaning instructions that I followed as well as I was able. Spent Saturday cleaning my new gem. Found some 148 grain ammo at a local gun shop, ordered more online (lots more), and finally - FINALLY! got to go shoot today with my younger brother.

Fantastic! We had a blast! Here's some photos:
1942 Izhevsk!
Just before the shooting started...
Just another day in paradise: 70 year old rifle, ammo, and targets.
I6 shots from 52 yards.
Now, a couple questions: How do you adjust the front site? Does anyone know what the number "12" inside a triangle means?
Thanks for looking!
Spermgewehr

Re: First shots with my first Mosin!

Post by Spermgewehr »

congrats on your first mosin!. I had seen them in Big 5 ads for a couple years and decided on a whim one night I was going to get one. Got my 91/30 at a local gun shop for $120, and I definitely regret it-- I love that rifle! Now every time I see some I just have to look and find myself moments away from another impulse purchase. I'm no collector but they are just too cheap, too historic, and too fun to not begin collecting to some degree. Enjoy her!
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

That's fantastic L2R! And what a busy looking barrel you have.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Now, a couple questions: How do you adjust the front site? Does anyone know what the number "12" inside a triangle means?
Thanks for looking!

Gee if you look at our sponsors, your first question is answered
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Hey L2R, congrats on getting a nice rifle...and getting it home!

Modern, commercial gun cases aren't made with 91/30s in mind, huh? :)

Good shooting. And its great you could get out with your little brother. Did he shoot it too? If so, we have a future addict on our hands!

The tried and true method of adjusting your front sight is with a bench, a hammer and a brass punch. That was until "Elby Sight Tools" came along and started building a nifty vice type device for adjusting your front sight. Mine just arrived in the mail yesterday and I highly recommend the product. It's very inexpensive, good quality, works very well and the guy running the show (mogunner) is easy to deal with. You can get to his website by clicking the banner link at the top of the page.

If you do order one from him, please make sure you mention "you saw it here" to him. He is one of our fantastic sponsors...and we don't want those guys keeping all their money :)

Nice shooting!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I just noticed...

Happy Birthday :)

Now go buy yourself another one to celebrate!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the forum, I see by the leftward spread of your shot group that you were shooting the rifle with the bayonet off. The rifles were sighted in at the arsenal with the bayonet mounted, the shot group will shift to the left when the bayonet is off. I personally never shoot any rifle with a bayonet mounted on it and adjust the front sight to correct the windage, the sight tool mentioned will get the job done a hell of a lot easier than the old brass punch and hammer, not to mention being more precise in the adjustment. You got a nice collection of markings on that '42, I don't recall the 12 marking, most of the little stamps will be inspection stamps and we just don't know what they mean as yet.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I just looked at that pic of the barrel stampings again... I think the 12 is for how many stamps there are.
:lol:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't recall ever seeing a 12 before, but then the small numbers are hard for me to see.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Live_2_Ride

Post by Live_2_Ride »

Thanks, Guys!

A little embarrassed - I've been looking at the banner of advertisers the past two weeks! Yes, the Elby Sight is a great looking tool. Thanks for the heads up and the comments!

From reading here, I am a bit concerned about impending AD - Acquisition Disorder. Easier and cheaper with some collections than others.

The 12 in the triangle mark also appears on the stock:
In addition to this and the barrel markings, there's a couple stars on the barrel and stock and the square with the line through it - which means Ukraine refurb, right?
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

That's pretty cool. It must mean something.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice looker. Lots o marks to keep you busy for sure. :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Don't you just love the 10-day wait? :lol:

The triangle 12 is one of the many unknown marks, the [\] is the ukrainian refurbishment mark.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I like that rifle too. Those markings are neat. Looks like you had a good shoot. Congrats on your rifle, and welcome to the forum.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Very impressed with the markings on your rifle. That looks like a Hammer in a box or just a T next to the Izhevsk marking and maybe a star there too? Very cool. Welcome to the forum :toast:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Nice first Mosin... Glad you take it out & use it as it was intended. :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
dou44

Post by dou44 »

your hooked and more will follow you home, nice rifle :thumbsup:
mustang69

Post by mustang69 »

Go to 7.62x54r.net website. There are explanations or stamps and markings on your 91/30....
solopilot

Post by solopilot »

OK, it's not JUST me...yours shoote to the right too!
Try it at 200yd, you'll have to aim 3 ft to the left of the target! I'm ordering an adjuster thing TODAY!
Live_2_Ride

Post by Live_2_Ride »

Jumperwire wrote:Very impressed with the markings on your rifle. That looks like a Hammer in a box or just a T next to the Izhevsk marking and maybe a star there too? Very cool. Welcome to the forum :toast:
Thanks, Jumperwire. Yes, it appears to be a "T" in a box. The 7.62x54r.net website is very helpful, but does not have a the boxed "T" or the triangle "12".

Very excited as I'm taking the family shooting today - with an ammo can full of 46 grain shells manufactured in 1964. Eyes and ears people! Will report this evening.

Live_2_Ride (and shoot!)