Norwegian K98

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
CalFed

Norwegian K98

Post by CalFed »

A few years back I glommed this Norwegian K98 at an online auction. It appears to be "Norwegian all matching". The Norwegians converted all their captured and surrendered K98's to 30.06 caliber, milled a flat onto the receiver ring, and re-serialed the receiver. It appears that they kept all the part of the rifle together, including the small screws, and reassembled the rifles with their original parts. Only the buttplate and bolt bear the new Norwegian serial number. The remaining parts still have their original German serial numbers.

The Norwegian serial number is 95320 and the original German serial is 3884. The Norwegian serial number appears on the receiver "flat" and the butt plate. The last three digits, "320" of the Norwegian serial appear in the bolt handle root.
The German serial numbers seem to appear about everywhere else..the bolt release, seen above.
The barrel bands
The trigger guard and action screws
The sight base and slide
And even possibly the extractor, which has the numbers "38" on it. Bore is shiny and sharp
redspoon

Re: Norwegian K98

Post by redspoon »

Good looking K98 :Drool1: Norwegian... well that's a first look-see for me. Good score. :thumbsup: How common are these?
CalFed

Post by CalFed »

redspoon wrote:Good looking K98 :Drool1: Norwegian... well that's a first look-see for me. Good score. :thumbsup: How common are these?

Thanks, 'spoon

I think these are relatively uncommon in the US. At least I haven't seen many.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The owner of the gun shop I work at brought in a Norwegian made 1911 Colt. I was very surprised to see that if you could take a part off and set it aside it was numbered to the serial number of the pistol. Before this I thought the British had the title of King of the Serial numbered parts.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

very cool rifle
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That's pretty doggone cool :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
CalFed

Post by CalFed »

Longcolt44 wrote:The owner of the gun shop I work at brought in a Norwegian made 1911 Colt. I was very surprised to see that if you could take a part off and set it aside it was numbered to the serial number of the pistol. Before this I thought the British had the title of King of the Serial numbered parts.

I would love to have a Norwegian M1914 11.25mm...known over here as the .45 caliber 1911. Those things are a beauty and I understand the Norwegians put them together right.
CalFed

Post by CalFed »

Junk Yard Dog wrote::vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Dan4good wrote:very cool rifle
desdem12 wrote:That's pretty doggone cool :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Thanks, guys!

I took it to the range. After putting three Federal 180 gr Power shocks into a target @ 50 yards to make sure the sights were on...

I moved the targets down to 100 yards and shot 5 Hornady 168 grain M1 Garand match rounds...

I was expecting a bit better with the Hornady. I guess it is possible the K98 didn't like the BT bullet or the load. Guess it is also possible I messed up the five rounds. I'll give it a go with the Federals again some time.

While shooting it, I appreciated the square front sight blade that the Norwegians installed...much easier for my eyes than the triangular one on the German K98
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Nice! :thumbsup: I do not think that they are that common.
CalFed

Post by CalFed »

Thanks, buck
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

that one shoots excellent :biggrin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

CalFed wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:The owner of the gun shop I work at brought in a Norwegian made 1911 Colt. I was very surprised to see that if you could take a part off and set it aside it was numbered to the serial number of the pistol. Before this I thought the British had the title of King of the Serial numbered parts.

I would love to have a Norwegian M1914 11.25mm...known over here as the .45 caliber 1911. Those things are a beauty and I understand the Norwegians put them together right.
We had it up for sale in the shop for a while but our normal clientele won't pay $3500.00 for a 1942, (if I remember right), 1911. It is still for sale though.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
CalFed

Post by CalFed »

I'd have a hard time ponying up $3500 for one myself. But I'd love to have one.
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

That is great! I had the chance to buy a nice one, but I hesitated. The bolt mis-matched and there was a little rust on the bolt knob.

A Calgunner bought it and now I feel sad.
kollector03

Post by kollector03 »

I just picked up one of these Norwegian 98k's myself. Was stumped about what it actually was for a bit, but Google is your friend. A photo of the milled receiver side was the tell that led to the ID. Nice rifle and a keeper.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

What a sweet version of the k98! The serial flat on the receiver is unique. The 30-06 is icing on the cake!
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Very cool! :thumbsup:
CalFed

Post by CalFed »

Thanks, guys!
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Learn something new every day.