Vietnam bringback w/capture paper, lots of pics

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Greasemonkey

Vietnam bringback w/capture paper, lots of pics

Post by Greasemonkey »

I've been real busy and had to pass alot of things up lately, but when I heard about this one, well I couldn't pass this up. I found a MAS 36 with bring back papers. It looks to have seen a rough life from it's manufacturing date of I'm guessing early/mid 1951, judging by serial suffix. So it could have arrived with the French troops into Vietnam during the first Indo-China War or some time there after. It shows alot of wear, and use, and absolutely nothing matches. It may have been a thrown together rifle built out of parts. I didn't dare pull it apart, given the cracks in wood etc, I figured it may fall apart, I just oiled it up and gave it a quick easy cleaning. The bore it's self is not bad, decent rifling, and some pitting. Metal finish is all but gone in exposed areas. I think at one time the paperwork was taped to the left side of the butt stock, the paper almost fits that area. The wood has cracks and the forestock is a little loose, the butt stock number is almost worn away, I didn't notice signs of sanding or finish alteration anywhere. The capture paper is dated 16 Feb '73 and was done in Saigon. I hid the last name, address and service number, thats not ink or anything.

More photos to follow :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Greasemonkey on Sat May 03, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Greasemonkey

Re: Vietnam bringback w/capture paper, lots of pics

Post by Greasemonkey »

And a few more, including the main one, the paper shot. :thumbsup:

Enjoy :toast:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's been around, reminds me of the Lebel carbine I have that was also brought back, same been around look. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
I cannot believe I held you in my basement and you did not mention this one.....I'll have my "friends", black bag you again. This time tell me every thing. Very nice indeed, my Dad would have loved to see that. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Very cool! 8-) :thumbsup: I guess the bayonet that was captured with the rifle has been lost to history?
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Judi and her Mosins wrote::soapbox:
I cannot believe I held you in my basement and you did not mention this one.....I'll have my "friends", black bag you again. This time tell me every thing. Very nice indeed, my Dad would have loved to see that. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
Everything :brolleyes: Ok, I've got something else in transit, it's shipping Monday :thumbsup: The first black bagging wasn't bad, but I do wanna try the waterboarding you did to the other guy :thumbsup: :chuckles:
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Titanium Hammer wrote:Very cool! 8-) :thumbsup: I guess the bayonet that was captured with the rifle has been lost to history?
The bayonet is stored in a tube under the barrel, no number on it, so it's either worn away or one found somewhere.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Pretty cool piece GM :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Wow, that is cool! :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Outstanding GM :vcool: :vcool: Honest looking War Trophy with paper. :Drool1:
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

Greasemonkey wrote:
Judi and her Mosins wrote::soapbox:
Everything :brolleyes: Ok, I've got something else in transit, it's shipping Monday :thumbsup: The first black bagging wasn't bad, but I do wanna try the waterboarding you did to the other guy :thumbsup: :chuckles:

:soapbox:
Yes water boarding JYD is a tuff one, Dolk was quick to talk and sign the papers, Just a little dance and he was in love. I just ask the questions,.....now that tracking number. I can have that intercepted. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hey now that is a rare find. A true honest French relic.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

The history that rifle has seen
We have met the enemy and he is us.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Wow! :big shock: :thumbsup:
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Very cool !! And it goes to show that mismatched is sometimes 100% correct for the rifle.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Coolest :vcool: MAS 36 I have ever seen. What a find :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
gurn

Post by gurn »

That is super cool GM! I have never seen a MAS with capture papers, amazing. On a different note, you in Judie's basement? :beek:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

gurn wrote:That is super cool GM! I have never seen a MAS with capture papers, amazing. On a different note, you in Judie's basement? :beek:
Nope, I escaped the basement, I'm a man on the run :chuckles: I left some poor fella behind :vsad: , I couldn't get through the 1/2 inch log chain she had him tethered to the wall with. :chuckles:

Maybe when I get some free time, I may shim up the forestock(non altering fix) to tighten it up and put a stripper clip of ammo through it. But I'm really in no big rush to fire it. :thumbsup:
gurn

Post by gurn »

Building you something like this to display it in would be nice.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
oldarmyguy65

Post by oldarmyguy65 »

I served w/ 1st Cav in "nam during 1966-1967. The most sent back rifle at that time was 1917 or 1918 Lebels. I did not see anyone fill out paper work for the trophy weapons, just packed them and sent them off. It is really nice to have the provenance for a Vietnam war trophy weapon. This one looks really nice, you are one lucky dude to have it. When I was a kid, I would go with my dad to original muzzleloader shoots, some of the old guys there would repair loose and shrunk wood by steaming it, that restored moisture and expanded the wood. You might want to try it. As a funny aside, when I rotated home, there was carry baggage inspections where all kinds of war stuff was confiscated (not weapons), mostly hand grenades and mortar rounds that guys were going to use as door stops, paperweights or make into lamps. Good they were confiscated, the guy behind me had an 80mm mortar round that was live. Oldarmyguy