My grandfathers tackle

ponycarman

My grandfathers tackle

Post by ponycarman »

I mentioned in the my other thead that my grandfather gave me two tackle boxes last year. One was his from what I understood and the other was given to him by an old fishing partner years ago. They are filled to the brim with old lures and neat stuff. Thought I would post some pics some of what came in them. There are tons more than in the pics haha. If anyone knows anything about them let me know. I'm a beginner when it comes to fishing.

Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
ponycarman

Re: My grandfathers tackle

Post by ponycarman »

Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Here are some new lures I've been picking up. Wally world has had them on sale.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Holy shit. You don't need to buy anything. You have something for everything that swims.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

One thing I will suggest is the purchase of a fishing vest. http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/fly-fishing-vest and some of these boxes sized to fit the big pockets of the vest. something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tackle-Bead-Cra ... 461d5201e4

I got sick of trying to keep up with a regular tackle box, so I loaded the vest with what I use most and go. In fact I usually have the vest and a rod in the truck in case I see some fishy looking place.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to separate some of it into small more portable stuff. The are doubles and triples of some of them. In different sizes. It has definitely been a hassle to lug all these things along on the fishing trips. Not too bad if you can park close but that hardly happens. And it will never happen when we start fishing other places than pay lakes haha.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

I've got one of those old Kastmasters. Take that treble hook off and put on a hook with the weed jumper and watch out. You can flick that thing on branches over the fish. Pull it over and as it splashes take off it it. You'll get some Bill Dance action. Good for the kids, too.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks. I've heard good stuff about them. There was a large one in the tackle but I found a smaller one on sale at walmart. I have lots to try out haha. Gotta get out and use them.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I have about 8 or 10 lil Cleo's in my tackle box,great little spoons. :wink:
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Sweet! There are a handfull in these. A couple large and a couple smaller.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

My grandpa gave me some more fishing stuff the other day. All of his rods and reels. I'll get some pics of them soon. Been trying to clean them up and lube them. He gave me 4. One is an old cane pole that I'm not sure I trust enough to fish with because of its age. There was a somewhat newer zebco spinning rod and reel. Probably made in the 80's or 90's. The other two are the most interesting. One is a shakespear wondercast closed face reel and unknown fiberglass rod. Still works. I would guess it was made in the 50's or 60's. The last was his first rod and reel. Said he got it when he was young from the sears and robuck. It is a jc Higgins pistol grip rod and a pflueger trump casting reel model 1943. I haven't dug into that one yet. It has a missing screw and seems to be binding. I hope to be able to get it working again. He would love to know I caught something with his old rod and reel. They are in ok used shape. The rod has a missing eye and the others are starting to come loose. The fiberglass rod still seems to be strong though. Pics to come.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Here are the pics.

This is the newest one. Looks like a pretty nice reel. Seems to work fine.

One of the older ones. Made in 1969 I believe according to the date code.

I believe this is the oldest. Not sure of the date of manufacturer. The reel is a pflueger trump model 1943 with a jc higgens rod.

The shakespear and zebco work fine from what I can tell the pflueger needs a little work. It takes to much effort to turn it. Don't know it if just needs lube or if something is rubbing or binding.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Looks like you have a lot of stuff to enjoy "playing" with when you are not at the range.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Those old reels make great decorator pieces, but I have had little luck trying to make them work. IMHO, new is better in reels. Fly reels are probably an exception to this, but I have little experience with them.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You have some very nice lures there. I bought a box of lures at a flea market about 30 years ago.I had even forgot I had them. I was talking to one our customers at the gun shop and he said he collected old lures and would be interested in them. I dug them out of a box I had not opened in at least 20 years and there were 28 of them. I checked some sites and knew approximately what they went for. I took them in and called the guy and he met me at the shop. He took one look and offered me $15.00 each. I turned that cash into the Finn M91 that I posted a couple weeks ago. I had no sentimental attachment to them like yours. Use them and fish the hell out of them and maybe someday you can send them to your grandson.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks guys. I'm with you there millman. I believe there are much better choices. They will more than likely be retired to nice decorations and conversation pieces soon. I was just hoping to get them functional enough to pull something in possibly. I know it would make my papa happy to see a pic of a fish caught on his old stuff. He is that kinda fellow. He has been in pretty bad health for a while so I try to do anything to raise his spirit a little.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Longcolt44 wrote:You have some very nice lures there. I bought a box of lures at a flea market about 30 years ago.I had even forgot I had them. I was talking to one our customers at the gun shop and he said he collected old lures and would be interested in them. I dug them out of a box I had not opened in at least 20 years and there were 28 of them. I checked some sites and knew approximately what they went for. I took them in and called the guy and he met me at the shop. He took one look and offered me $15.00 each. I turned that cash into the Finn M91 that I posted a couple weeks ago. I had no sentimental attachment to them like yours. Use them and fish the hell out of them and maybe someday you can send them to your grandson.
Thats the plan. My grandpa keeps saying I can sell then if I want. I keep trying to tell him they mean too much to me to sell. Hopefully I can do them justice haha.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Wow. You even have Hula Poppers!! Rebels and Rooster tails! What fine memories these bring back. I haven't fished in 30 years I bet. I loved it so much. Nice set up there. Quite the awesome set of tackle!