British 303 #1 MK3

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Jbob

British 303 #1 MK3

Post by Jbob »

Never seen one of these before other than in pictures. Took it to the range today with some PPU ammo and it's a really good shooter. Ugly and heavy but built to last.
Dated 1955, I didn't know they were made that late.
desdem12

Re: British 303 #1 MK3

Post by desdem12 »

One of the nice looking pieces. It is an indian no.1. The RFI is the rifle factory india. They made some .303s before switching to 7.62. :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

RFI stands for Rifle Factory Ishapore. It was made in India. They also made them in 7.62x51 Nato (.308). Nice rifle.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

I too have an Ishy except mine is wire wrapped. I would say you scored on this gun whether believing it to be British production or not as the price difference in the SMLE department should be within a hundred dollars based on where made. Cheers to enjoyable potential tack driving with the hard to get rounds. Now would be a good time to start reloading but there is plenty of .$73 round PPI ammo on the market for both of our guns if you're not already doing your own loads or don't plan to. Overall good quality gun that definitely had it's war time beatings.
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

A lot of guys turn their noses up at Ishapore made Enfields. I think they are full of goose-crap.

They are still superb rifles and will hit what you are aiming at.

OP did A-OK. :thumbsup:
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Emdawg wrote:A lot of guys turn their noses up at Ishapore made Enfields. I think they are full of goose-crap.

They are still superb rifles and will hit what you are aiming at.

OP did A-OK. :thumbsup:
They are still in use today. Saw some on the news awhile back in that Mumbai shootout with the terrorist.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
vtxmosin

Post by vtxmosin »

Ugly and heavy but built to last.
I was of the same mind not too long ago, but when you break it down and inspect/clean them, they are really a work of art.
RudyN

Post by RudyN »

I have one in .303 and really like it.

Sent From The Telegraph Office
Rudy N
1926 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1929 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1935 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
1943 Tula 91/30
1943 Tula M38