Mossberg M4C Scope

Rim Fire Firearms
MN Fan

Mossberg M4C Scope

Post by MN Fan »

Millman has answered some PMs I've sent to him in regards to getting the Mossberg 44US ready to shoot. I'll quit bothering him and ask here...thanks for your help millman!

I want to scope the 44US and found this "period correct" scope that looks to be in great shape. Best part, it's local. Its a Mossberg M4C. Has anyone used one of these before? Any recommendations? Also, at only 4X mag, what do you think would be the max. range it will be effective?

I am going to use a Havlin scope mount for now until I can find an original Mossberg No. 6 mount. I may get the M4C scope just for display purposes and get something more modern for actual target shooting...but it would be really cool to compete with a 60 year old rifle, mount and scope :)

Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Mossberg M4C Scope

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Should look good on the rifle :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

You haven't bothered me any. That scope will look just right on your Mossy. The only caveat I will make about these old scopes, is that you should not expect them to to match up to new scopes. Scope design and especially lens coatings have come a long way since that scope was made. Accept the limitations and you will be happy with it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Thanks guys. For the price, I am going to go ahead and pick it up. Then I can keep searching for a No 6 mount for it. Once I get the parts, I can "retire" the rifle as a display. Or use a modern scope for competition and display with the original set up. Eventually I may have to look for a match grade rifle...I saw a Kimber recently at Cabela's, nice rifle! Not sure, we'll see how well the 44US shoots first :)

Thanks again...
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I've always wanted to shoot with one of those old time scopes.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

MN Fan wrote:Thanks guys. For the price, I am going to go ahead and pick it up. Then I can keep searching for a No 6 mount for it. Once I get the parts, I can "retire" the rifle as a display. Or use a modern scope for competition and display with the original set up. Eventually I may have to look for a match grade rifle...I saw a Kimber recently at Cabela's, nice rifle! Not sure, we'll see how well the 44US shoots first :)

Thanks again...
I see an Anschutz in your future.... :biggrin:
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Once I get the kid off to college maybe! I have recently become fascinated with .22 match grade target rifles. I am hoping the 44US is all I've read and that it will work for now...but some of the rifles I've seen here have me drooling (millman's and Mikey_P's for example) :)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

MN, you will like this one. This is my BIL's target rifle. It is an Anschutz 54 action in a fully adjustable aluminum stock that he made. (Well most of it. Not the pistol grip or the adj. buttplate)
sstock1.jpg
sstock2.jpg
sstock3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Nice one millman! The closest thing I've got to a match .22 is my Remington 513S, but I've got plenty of trigger time behind Anschutz 1903s and 1907s. I can see myself getting addicted to match .22s :lol:
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Man, that is very cool. He did a nice job too...the craftsmanship is flawless. Thanks for posting the photos! Please tell your BIL I am impressed!

Where I work, we have two laser cutters, 4 CNC machining centers, 1 CNC lathe, toolroom equipment and 40,000 sq. ft. of shears, brakes, punches, etc. I use AutoCAD and we have the capability of downloading 2D and 3D drawings to the CNC equipment. I often daydream of what I could do if I could get my hands on the shop for just a few days :)

That's an amazing rifle!
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

How close is the M4C to the original M4. I have a Wards rifle with the M4 complete scope setup. I have yet to figure the scope out, the rifle it self has like 3 different sight setups on it. The scope is fairly close, so I just never messed with it.

Impressive piece Millman :shock:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Hey GM! Wow, I would love to see it when you have time to get a photo! I want to make sure I am at least staying somewhat correct with this one.

I would prefer your scope over the one I got. Yours is about an inch longer and has a 2-piece eye tube. I think "C" is when it went to one piece. I am not sure what the differences are in M4 and M4B. Is your mount the big, bulky looking thing with vertical adjustment and micrometer alignment adjustments? I found several for decent prices on completed auctions...but of course, the seller on the only live auction at the moment wants $450 :big shock:

I'll find one someday, until then, it will be a shooter. Once I get the mount, it will become a wall hanger :oops:

Thanks GM!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Wallhanger?? Seriously? That thing was meant to be shot. I'd bet dollars to donuts that it is a really nice shooter at that. Give that old girl a new lease on life.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Greasemonkey wrote: Impressive piece Millman :shock:
Thanks Grease. The brother in law will be happy that you guys like his rifle. My inlaws are the makingest bunch of people you ever met. They seem to ooze talent.

C. S. Lewis
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

millman wrote:Wallhanger?? Seriously? That thing was meant to be shot. I'd bet dollars to donuts that it is a really nice shooter at that. Give that old girl a new lease on life.
That's the goal I hope!

I meant that I am taking your advice and getting a modern scope for it as well for competition shooting and using the old scope for display. I love the look of the original ads I've seen for this rifle with the long scope! I won't try competitive shooting with the big ol' cast iron mount and original scope...though it would be cool to do so! I finally bought a cheap, small safe and will start keeping most of the rifles inside...but this one will remain out on the rack as a display piece. I love the way it looks and am very happy with how it turned out.

The sad part is, I will keep the Mosins out on their rack too for display. The other two Mossberg .22s are on the rack with the 44US. The antique 12 ga. is hanging above the work area I made. That leaves the Henry and the old Mossberg 12 ga. as the only guns in the safe lol. Oh well, I have room to expand now :)

Thanks again millman for all your help and advice!
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

MNfan, nice 44US by the way, i'm not trying to threadjack, but thought you might like it and you or someone may be able to help some. :toast:

This is it, it's a Wards Westernfield 14M 431A :?: , I know it's a tube feed Mossberg, but no clue what model. I tried to leave scope photo large enough you could see the markings, also the 3 different sights, the front sight is changeable, they flip up and down, I'll have to get you a photo of that to show you. I paid 50bucks for it at a yard sale years ago, what is it and any clue the value? I'm way behind on rimfires :oops:

Millman, that's pure unadulterated talent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I gulped when I saw the scope! That's the one I want :)

Thank you for posting the photos. I think you have a pretty unique rifle there. I didn't search long, but a couple of Mossberg sites are pretty thorough with their cross-references and its easy to look. But, your Model doesn't come up anywhere. I even did a generic search on WesternField and Wards models (Savage and others have also made WesternField branded rifles). I wasn't able to find any cross-references at all. The closest match based on Models was to a Mossberg 42...nothing close to your rifle.

The closest I found was by simple visual comparision. It looks very similar to the Mossberg M45:

There are several versions of the M45 and I am not sure what is what. But, the basic M45 even looks pretty close. The other variations are primarily stock configurations I believe.

Thank you for posting the photos! It's a damn nice rifle and your recent 144 will be a good match for it :)

Here is the scope mount I am looking for:

This particular one sold at auction for $16 in 2003. Today, I can't find one!

I am curious now to know what you have :)

(Edit: Now that I see the photos side by side, yours is actually quite different than the Mossberg 45. Interesting rifle you have :) )
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I came up with the Model 45, but the differences were enough to say no. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

I'll ask in a local shop known for some Mossberg oddities for a mount like that. Same place the 144 came from.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It looks a little like the 46B shown here. Just scroll down. http://home.epix.net/~damguy/models.htm

C. S. Lewis
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

millman wrote:It looks a little like the 46B shown here. Just scroll down. http://home.epix.net/~damguy/models.htm
I think that's it, WOW, didn't imagine it would be that old :big shock: .