What do I have?

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Jonk

What do I have?

Post by Jonk »

I just got what appears to be a long rifle from GB. Can anyone tell me what I have?. Here are some pics.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: What do I have?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Civilian not military, caplock, looks like a small caliber rifle barrel, maybe .45-.50 needs a good cleaning and oiling. Probably mid-late 19th century, but could be a poorly cared for repop. Good photos of markings? Any name on it? Rifling in the bore?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Looks like a hexagonal bore; never seen one like that. I know some of the Whitworth target rifles have a special bore and bullet that was utilized. This looks more like someone's homeade rifle.
Jonk

Post by Jonk »

I'm adding one more pic. Image

Mike

Post by Mike »

Why the double triggers? Do they both do something or was this converted fron a double barrel shotgun?
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I believe its called a set trigger. It gives the main trigger a very light pull.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Jonk

Post by Jonk »

I think what I have, after doing some research, is a Kentucky squirrel gun. it is .32 and seems to match the squirrel rifles on the web. Any one for squirrel snacks?

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Have you found a makers name on it? The Kentucky Squirrel rifle is one of the most popular of BP front stuffers and has been the subject of countless custom rifle builds over the last 60 years or so. I am not talking about mass produced ones like CVA, but real hand crafted from top quality parts sort of builds. In the 60's and 70's it seemed everyone was building one of these. The original would date the the 1830's and 40's, but the design was still in use as late as the 1920's. Alvin York, the WW1 hero, used a rifle like yours for hunting both before and after the war, and that was in the teens. It's hard to tell from pics, but that rifle of yours looks newer than the 1840's, it looks like with some cleaning it could go back into service.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mikelp1973

Post by Mikelp1973 »

BubbaDX wrote:I believe its called a set trigger. It gives the main trigger a very light pull.
Correct. The forward trigger releases the hammer. If you pull the rearward trigger (after the rifle is cocked) you breathe on the front trigger to fire. I believe it is adjustable with a tiny set screw in between the two triggers. I own a Thompson center Hawken Flint lock with this set up..
Mikelp1973

Post by Mikelp1973 »

Jonk wrote:I think what I have, after doing some research, is a Kentucky squirrel gun. it is .32 and seems to match the squirrel rifles on the web. Any one for squirrel snacks?

That barrel doesn't look good I don't know much myself but I would have it inspected by someone who knows before I tried to fire it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's how it works, I have it on my Sharps 1874, and the Hatfield rifle. The set trigger is a serious riflemans tool back when rifles had one shot.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have the set triggers on myThompson Renegade and Hawken, and you are right JYD, it is a serious rifleman's tool! It turns the hunting rifle into a target worthy tack driver.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Mine on my Traditions Hawken helped me take a doe at 125 yds.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien