Glocks are stupid...

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Lee-online

Re: Glocks are stupid...

Post by Lee-online »

jones0430 wrote:I think the preference for Glocks is based on copy cat behavior and cool appearance.

I have a distinct hesitation about carrying a loaded striker fired pistol that has no safety blocking the firing action.

Looking at all the negligent discharge reports, it appears that the majority of them are with striker fired semi-autos, Glocks or copies of the Glock design. Complacency makes carrying one very dangerous.
Glocks do have a safety blocking the firing pin, a drop safety and the safety on the trigger. The only way a Glock will fire is if the trigger is pulled. Basic firearms safety protocols are all that's needed. If you are relying on the safety then you need to rethink how you handle a firearm.

It wont accidently fire if the trigger guard is covered with a holster and it wont fire if the finger is kept of the trigger until ready to fire.

I have carried a Glock 30 for over 15 years and never worried about the gun going off. The reason I started carrying a Glock was because it didn't have an external safety. In the high stress event of needing to pull the gun on someone, its one less thing I need to worry about, pull the gun, aim and squeeze.

Oh, Glocks are butt ugly, my Kimber puts them to shame in the looks department, that said, here is some Glock pron for the fan boys. :biggrin:

G19 with and Octane 9.
Kollaa kestää
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Ah, but that is the precise reason there are so many negligent discharges. Peoples fingers get on the triggers when they draw or are handling the pistol. Without the physical safety lever, it has an inherent safety flaw that allows the negligent discharge to be more likely.

Note that I said "more likely", it doesn't garauntee safety or accident, it simply makes an accident more likely at a moment of distraction.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

There was a video of an officer demonstrating something at a school some time last year and drew his weapon accidentally shooting himself in the leg.

Should've never had one chambered at a school, should've used proper trigger safety, and should've not even had a loaded mag for a school demonstration.

That said, I still like my Glock 22 and my XD45 for the fact of the 'double' safety and ability to cock it one handed against anything solid enough to hold the force of the rear sight. The Glocks have their purposes as a service pieces.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Pretty much any pistol with an elevated rear sight can be racked one handed.

But, when you get into one handed racking situations, you are most likely out of the range of the average civilian carrying a gun... I do practice one handed reloads every once in a while, but just see it as a gun skills drill more than anything for SD. But not a bad thing to practice all along, you could have a Type 1 failure, and only have one hand available...
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

At that point, I'd be thinking of biting their throat out.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Or maybe you bit off more than you can chew, should have run.. LOL
entropy

Post by entropy »

jones0430 wrote:I think the preference for Glocks is based on copy cat behavior and cool appearance.

I have a distinct hesitation about carrying a loaded striker fired pistol that has no safety blocking the firing action.

Looking at all the negligent discharge reports, it appears that the majority of them are with striker fired semi-autos, Glocks or copies of the Glock design. Complacency makes carrying one very dangerous.

99.99 of Glock ND's are from violating Rule #3: Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. When the St. Paul PD went to the Glock, they had a problem with this for a while. Training reduces the # of ND's from that. The rest are people 'stacking' the trigger. Glock triggers aren't conductive to stacking.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

@ entropy,

I agree. Training is a must, and inexperienced or foolish users are the most likely to have an ND. We can add complacent users as well.

Defeating a safety isn't a wise move, especially in most situations, and especially if you are around civilians.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Glocks are not inherently more dangerous because of the trigger safety, they are more prone to ND because of the trigger safety. Remove the user error and Glocks are fine. I do not feel comfortable with one except on the range.
gurn

Post by gurn »

I like my S&W 5906. I have 17 rounds with a Mec-Gar mag and if that's not enough one whack with this baby and they are out. Want a 4006, 4506 and a 1006 next.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Home defense ='s Mossburg 500 w/ No. 4 shot... :devil2:
Carry ='s Colt Officers Mod. 1911, Sig Mod. 226/220,& Walther PPKS.
So many decisions... :vconfused:
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I have Two Glock Model 22 gen. 3's I got on line for about $350.00 ea. used police 40 calibers. I converted one to 9MM with a Lone Wolf $109.00 conversion barrel and magazine.I also have a new model 27 40 caliber for a concealed carry that I bought new for $525.00. The model27 has been my main carry gun for 6 mos.with a Ruger LCR .357 backup. These guns have never failed me, I now feel confident I have a good self defense combination for carrying concealed in most situations and at a reasonable price. I still keep a Colt 1911 model 80 Officers 45 for home use along with a 12GA. pump,But I do like my Glocks now and think they are the best hand gun you can buy for the money.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

[quote="Jolly Green Chopper"The model27 has been my main carry gun for 6 mos.with a Ruger LCR .357 backup.[/quote]

The LCR is one heck of a nice backup gun.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus