The Dragoon

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

The Dragoon

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Re: The Dragoon

Post by desdem12 »

Gorgeous Rifle. :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

another great video....

thanks
jb
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Thievery, ignorance is no excuse of the law! :thumbsup:

I have a 1927 dated one of those but mine has that nasty [SA] on it! :)
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Man, JYD has taken it to the next level. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: If I did that video, all you would hear is my wife nagging, the kids fighting and my telling my cat to shoooo. :chuckles:
finloq

Post by finloq »

$40 Dragoon. Not Finnish, not Balkan.
I hate you.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
p-t-max

Post by p-t-max »

Nice job, and nice rifle. Also, either you got a better camera, or you're getting better at videography. Or maybe both. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

very nice video. you are doing much better and boots was probably eating.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
Bkloes

Post by Bkloes »

So after some quick research ....dragoons are a tad shorter, lighter....but the big give away is they are stamped prior to 1930? Are there any other tell tale characteristics?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The dragoons are the same length as the 91/30s are. The difference is the front and rear sights and of course the markings are different then the 91/30s if they are older then 1930. These were made at the same time the M1891s were and are like 3 inches shorter then a M91. The rear sight is the konovlov sight and the front sight is a blade type. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I have a '28 dragoon that's not import or SA marked, but it is really beat. That is a beauty you got there.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The history on this one is unknown, it is not import marked so it was imported before 1968, could be Spanish Civil War, but there is nothing on the rifle to indicate this, neither is there anything to indicate any Finnish involvement with it. It could be a Korean war or Vietnam War bringhome, Korean would be my guess if it is a bringhome. Stalin did sell a large number of surplus rifles to the Chinese who then provided them to the North Koreans.
I am using another camera, a Sony Bloggie video camera that takes full HD 1080p video, and is made for the express purpose of uploading video's to youtube. It has auto focus that seems to work better than the point and shoot camera I was previously using. I have another video camera on the way, a Bell and Howell that has a 32gig hard drive and will also shoot HD video, I bought it for the extended filming capabilities for when I hit the car shows. The Bloggie will shoot about an hours video with it's built in memory and has no card slot to expand it, but it works fine for 2-10 minute youtube videos.
The cat was still hiding from the storms that hit both before and again after I shot this video, and if there are any kids here I will be beating their parents for letting them trespass, no wife to be laughing at my important archival work.
Bkloes, Dragoon rifles were still being produced alongside the 91/30 up into at least 1932, after WW2 the dragoon rifles were refurbished and converted to regular 91/30 sights and handguard bands. Otherwise the Dragoon rifle is the same as any 91/30, the 91/30 was designed off it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Iis beautiful, and a very nice presentation video. Is that a yellow letter edition? So sorry, couldn't help myself.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The yellow highlighting is from the first set of pics I shot of this rifle in 2005. I used a yellow tire crayon back then as the digital camera I had at the time was not as good at closeups as the later ones were. I never shot the rifle after that so the crayon didn't melt out.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bb91 wrote:Thievery, ignorance is no excuse of the law! :thumbsup:

I have a 1927 dated one of those but mine has that nasty [SA] on it! :)
The SA just adds to it's history :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt