Looking for opinions.

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
sclinesr

Re: Looking for opinions.

Post by sclinesr »

cyknight wrote:When the taxes come rolling back, I plan on setting up for reloading. I've been looking at the Lee Precision Challenger Breech Lock system, in the big package. Anybody own/use one? From what I've read, and the YouTube videos I've seen, they seem to be an awesome investment. Is it worth it, or is it better to go to the higher-end models?
I have the Lee Deluxe Classic package and love it. I've had absolutely no problems with it. I do plan on upgrading to a Lee Turrent press hopefully sometime next year because I load up 300 to 400 rounds at time.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

Ok, sorry to hijack this thread, but I've been thinking about learning to reload for a while now. I am 100% clueless on the subject. What is the most realistic start up price for the minimum amount of stuff to get going. I'll probably load .308, x54, 9mm, .40, maybe .444 marlin, .44 magnum (geez I have way too many loads...). Is shotgun a whole 'nother animal or is it the same?
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shotguns are easy to load for but they do require their own press, Lee had one that works and is not expensive. As for metalic cartridge reloading, the Lee kits should have something for you, figure around $200 for the kit and a few extra small items. Die sets, and you will need one set for each cartridge you want to reload will run $25-$45 a set depending on type and brand. There is a thread running on reloading gear right now, have a look on the forum and you will find it. It's well worth getting into reloading, it sounds expensive to start, but once you are equipped and turning out rounds it saves you a great deal of money in the long run.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Well worth the time and you can get the accuracy you are looking for. I think you could get set up pretty easy for $200 and even have a set of dies in there for that price. Check out lee kits some start around $80 and you would need some assorted other things like JYD said. If you get a handloading manual they will outline what you need. :D :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
sclinesr

Post by sclinesr »

A lee press kit will get you everything you need to get started except for the dies. The rest you can buy a little at a time. You can get the Lee Classic set up for around $100. The die sets run around $25 to $35 depending on caliber. If you do a far amount of shooting reloading is definately the way to go. Especially if you have a tight budget like I do.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Black powder is measured by volume, never by weight, only smokeless powder is measured by weight. Never use any measuring device intended for black powder on smokeless powder.

I bought out the contents of a long shut down gun/reloading shop back in 2008, along with the machine I got components for 4-5 thousand rounds of .38 special waddcutters. I use them as practice rounds in my GP100, I don't know how many I shot up over the years, but I seem to have empty .38 size boxes again so it's been a bit :) I might have to fire up the machine again soon, I still have a crate of empty brass, a bag of bullets, and three, or four pounds of 60's vintage bullseye powder, just short on primers.
That's a shame.... You are short on the part that's the most expensive and the biggest pain to get.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

One of the best things to get when you start reloading is ......a friend that reloads. You will have questions and you will need some thing that you don't have that a more experienced reloader will lend you. You can never have too many reloading manuals. Enjoy but be Careful.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I got 15,000 primers from that haul :lol: only 4500 were small pistol primers, the rest are large pistol, small and large rifle and 209's.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is like 10 cases of primers. You are sittting on gold there. Gold I tell ya. 8-)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are hoarded away with the stash of primers I have had since the 90's and a small lot I just acquired from a tag sale. It would take gold, a lot of it, to get them away from me :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I've read some positive comments about LEE Hand Loaders and other things to go with one. Which of the types of ammo. is the best for the beginner to start with. I have .45, .38,.40,.357,9MM, pistols that I want to shoot more if I could get the cost down. Will I really save enough $$$ to make it worth while on a small scale or will I have to go up in loading capacity to make it worth while? Thanks JGC
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I believe the best savings would be in the 9mm catagory. If you don't load hot all the time you could build up your brass cheap and the bullets and powder are readily available. I will say this though. The last time we had trouble getting stuff because of the politics i was able to reload for both my 45acp and 45LC. I could not find bullets anywhere of any kind for the long colt but was able to do reloads luckily. Stock up on brass,powder,bullets, and primers and then when you can afford to get the dies for them. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)