M91-30 Sniper Turned Down Bolt

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Jolly Green Chopper

M91-30 Sniper Turned Down Bolt

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I recently bought a M91-30 MN with a tuned down bolt from R Guns. It was in excellent condition but I could find no indication it had ever been a sniper(no holes for optics not even covered ones) my question is why was this rifle advertised as a sniper. The numbers on the receiver and bolt do match except the 1st digit on the bolt was left off but the rest of the numbers matched. Why does it have a bent bolt if not ever a sniper? Thanks to anyone that can help JGC
Dragunov sniper 777

Re: M91-30 Sniper Turned Down Bolt

Post by Dragunov sniper 777 »

my understanding is , that it is just a standard 91/30 with a turned down bolt body , it never was a PU sniper ..

just shoot it and enjoy :thumbsup:
i am so poor i can only afford mustard and biscuits three times a week ..
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I wonder if they are catering to the crowd that wants to put a scope on them and just offering a regular non matching with a turned down bolt for this crowd. It would make sense that they would give the non matching worst ones for this. I am not condoning the action just sayin. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

One theory is that at the end of the refurb program they (the Russians) had rifles with not enough bolts, and left over bent bolts from converting Snipers to standard duty, so they put the two together.

Just a wild guess though. RGUNS did import them into the US that way. They were not made here. And from what I have heard and seen, they are correct sniper bolts.

I'd love to see some close up photos of the bolt, especially under the bend (underneath).

Dolk
dou44

Post by dou44 »

can you post a picture of a original bolt so i can check mine with it.mine was suspose to be a original with post war scope but i am still not sure that the scope is a repo.i bought it in the late 90's i think.
Jolly Green Chopper

I will post a picture of the Bent Bolt Mn as soon as my camera is returned from shop. Had to have it fixed again. May have to buy a new one. Anyone have a recommendation for reasonable priced digital for posting picture on the internet? thanks JGC
Jolly Green Chopper

I bought the turned down bolt so I could add a temporary Optical helper for low light conditions since I turned 66 this year, I don't see well at night, so If my eyes get any worse I would like an optionI to defend the old homestead. I have a black bear problem at night around here and safety is important . Don't want to shoot the darn thing just scare it off.The already hurt one of my dogs by climbing over the fence after dog food and stuff in my garden and fruit trees . Had to give up on feeding them my chickens this year until I can build a better Chicken house with electric fence. Can't wait to see them dance when I wet the ground around the fence. It may just piss them off and make things worse! :bang: JGC
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Bears can be pesky and hard to get rid of. Good luck with the problem. My brother lives in missoula Mt and they have bears everyday it seems. Where he used to live they came in the guys house across the street and tore up his freezer and ate every thing. What a mess. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

R guns is not about to ruin their reputation. The bolt is probably worth more than the rifle on the secondary market. I wouldn't change a thing, just another combloc mystery like a stamp happy inspector.
Baptized by fire
My work must not be done
Cause I'm still here, baby
Only the good die young
(Jeff Williams)