Winds?

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Winds?

Post by Darryl »

Well, we had 65 MPH winds today.

They got our 65 Pine tree in front of our house.

$3,000 to remove from the trunk up.
Have to go to a "stump person" for the rest!
Luck the neighbors next door park their cars right there, and the one across the street too.
Lucky for us they were out today! Or even more $$$$.

Now my homeowners insurance says they are going to have to look into it because not all policies have coverage for trees. Took out the small 3 foot high fence too.

The tree guys said the tree looked good. Nothing wrong with it other then it couldn't take 65 mph winds.
Tree_001.jpg
hole in the ground is about 8 foot wide and about 4 feet deep!
Tree_002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Winds?

Post by millman »

Just set it back up.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

You can buy a good chainsaw for three hundred bucks. ;)

I live literally in a clearing in the middle of 40 acres of woods. Our last hurricane knocked down 65% of all of the trees according to the Forestry Department survey. Most of them were big trees. I became quite proficient with the chainsaw. It took a week to cut a driveway back to the road. I will say though that the last four years advancing age has caused a lot of my get up and go to have got up and went. I couldn't do it again. Three grand seems like a lot to cut up a single downed tree, but things don't cost as much around here as they do out there.

Another option for you would be borrow someone's four wheel drive truck and drag it down the block, leaving it in the street. The county or city will deal with it. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

millman wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:49 am Just set it back up.
I know you say that as a joke, but I had one big tree that I started cutting on. My first cut, taking about half of the top off resulted in the base springing it back vertical. Here four years later it is putting on new growth.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Well, 3/4 of it is cut off now. That had to be done to clear the street.
It didn't spring back up yet. And I asked them, they said they are very cautious when cutting fallen trees because they will do that.
Even worse, on the photo of the stump I posted, at the top you will see my sprinkler system PVC pipe pointing at the sky! :chuckles:

Insurance says it is not covered unless it hits something (like a car or house). So, I'm on the hook for the whole cost. $3,000 for the tree and $1,000 for the stump. Then I have this huge hole in the ground too. Well, it could be worse I guess. It didn't hit anything or anybody.

It did mess up the little fence to the side and they say that could be paid for by the insurance.

Darryl
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

100' tall ash tree lost a huge limb a few years back that took out all the wires and one pole plunging thousands of people into darkness. Electric company looked at the rest of the still standing tree and decided it would stand for another century. Days later another big chunk came down again taking out a pole and all the wires, thousands in darkness. The tree cutters were out there that day removing the rest of the tree, the bill for the whole mess must have run a few hundred grand. The power company's tree trimmers were out a few months before the disaster and had inspected that tree deciding not to trim, or remove it. The tree was in an area that had no homes or cars to fall on, just empty road and the power lines. Still remaining are two more huge ash trees that top out at 100+', and a cottenwood that is higher yet, so I have the generator ready.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Darryl wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:59 pm Well, 3/4 of it is cut off now. That had to be done to clear the street.
It didn't spring back up yet. And I asked them, they said they are very cautious when cutting fallen trees because they will do that.
Even worse, on the photo of the stump I posted, at the top you will see my sprinkler system PVC pipe pointing at the sky! :chuckles:

Insurance says it is not covered unless it hits something (like a car or house). So, I'm on the hook for the whole cost. $3,000 for the tree and $1,000 for the stump. Then I have this huge hole in the ground too. Well, it could be worse I guess. It didn't hit anything or anybody.

It did mess up the little fence to the side and they say that could be paid for by the insurance.

Darryl
You thought I was BSing about the trees springing back up, didn't you?

You need to check the bottom of that hole carefully, thear is gold in dem dar hills. ;)

The thousand dollars for the stump, is that for a backhoe charge? You could just leave it as a yard ornament. Call it art.

I feel ashamed making fun. I am really sorry for you loss. That is several highly collectible Mosins worth of downed tree.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

a number of neighbors have purchased auxiliary power units....that being said, we now have 1000's of gallons of fuel stored around the neighborhoods.....among other things, nobody seems to understand lightning strikes....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

tomaustin wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:14 am a number of neighbors have purchased auxiliary power units....that being said, we now have 1000's of gallons of fuel stored around the neighborhoods.....among other things, nobody seems to understand lightning strikes....
Raise your homeowners insurance, put all the family photos, gold watches and jewelry into a bank vault, have most of your wardrobe packed up in the car, be ready to roll at a moments notice. Most important is to be sure it's the neighbors who start the fire, not anything you did to avoid any delays in collecting the check.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I went to cut a tree out of the road in a snowstorm one night, given an exact location, I got there, and no tree. I saw where it had been, limbs, pine cones and needles, but no tree. Traffic had run thru the top of it laying in the road, knocked off the weight of the snow, and the tension of the big phone cable it was laying on stood it back up. :whistle:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Counted the rings today (4 times). It's 58 years old.
1965 started life.
The house was built in 1965.

So it may have been placed there when the house was new in 1965.

Darryl
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I would get hold of the tree company that planted it and ask for a refund. It might have a lifetime warrantee.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:44 am I would get hold of the tree company that planted it and ask for a refund. It might have a lifetime warrantee.
I wish. It is a big hit on a "fixed income". But, we have saving for that kind of "stuff".

Tree is gone and final bill was $2,600. We signed a "not to exceed" $3,000 and he thought it would take all of that.

Now, the stump! Then the hole in the ground it will leave behind. The hole is huge!

My wife has plans already. I put in a "dry creek" from the down spouts from the roof to about 20 feet to the side years ago. It was nice because it would carry the rain runoff away from the house. It ran just behind the pine tree. Well, it is gone now! :chuckles:

So, she wants to make the dry creek longer and run through where the hole is.
I told he lets stop it at the hole and let it "waterfall" in the the hole! She wasn't buying it. :chuckles:

With that hole full of water, I would have a water feature like yours Jim (but not nearly as deep)!

Hey Jim, anything new about those divers?

Darryl
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Darryl wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:06 am
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:44 am I would get hold of the tree company that planted it and ask for a refund. It might have a lifetime warrantee.
I wish. It is a big hit on a "fixed income". But, we have saving for that kind of "stuff".

Tree is gone and final bill was $2,600. We signed a "not to exceed" $3,000 and he thought it would take all of that.

Now, the stump! Then the hole in the ground it will leave behind. The hole is huge!

My wife has plans already. I put in a "dry creek" from the down spouts from the roof to about 20 feet to the side years ago. It was nice because it would carry the rain runoff away from the house. It ran just behind the pine tree. Well, it is gone now! :chuckles:

So, she wants to make the dry creek longer and run through where the hole is.
I told he lets stop it at the hole and let it "waterfall" in the the hole! She wasn't buying it. :chuckles:

With that hole full of water, I would have a water feature like yours Jim (but not nearly as deep)!

Hey Jim, anything new about those divers?

Darryl
No more of them have died, not yet anyway. They are still diving, this winter they didn't need to take time off for weather. They dove Sunday when it was 24 by the time they packed everything in. I have multiple cameras keeping an eye on them now, I count heads going in and out with the hope the number matches up.
Theodore Roosevelt