1944 Tula M44 pics and a hello

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Neverendingmods

1944 Tula M44 pics and a hello

Post by Neverendingmods »

Hello all,
Picked this up a year ago. I take it to range off and on. Shoots well. Has the typical sticky bolt when trying to open after firing so been trying to smooth it out by cleaning bolt up and where bolt contacts receiver opening in one spot. Bolt was rust and pitting free but sharp edges and rough cuts. Only rust, which was refurbished long ago, was under barrel near 1st band closest to rear site, about quarter size. Was reblued over spot. Barrel bore is very strong with no pitting. Matching numbers on parts marked. Love the fire balls. 😁 Came here for knowledge.
Have a Merry Christmas!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1944 Tula M44 pics and a hello

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Neverendingmods

Wanted to fix the title but can't edit post. Sorry, obviously a M48.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It's a 1944 M44.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Neverendingmods

I been cleaning couple SKS' from deep Cosmo storage and had a brain fart. My apologies. I had just gotten back from the range and was talking guns too so I had numbers and countries coming out my ears. Lol
Over the weekend I had used some 380 grit paper and a Dremel wire brush to dress the bolt and remove burrs and sharp edges. It was rust and pitting free thankfully. Smoothed out nicely. I had the issue where you had to slap the bolt handle upwards to eject spent shell. Now its' much much better. Really cleaned up an area on receiver the bolt rests against when locking bolt down.

Anybody shoot heavy ball ammo through theirs? I been using Barnaul and just began shooting Wolf copper washed. Both light ball.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice gun. A Tula is always a nice one to have. :thumbsup:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Neverendingmods wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:15 pm I been cleaning couple SKS' from deep Cosmo storage and had a brain fart. My apologies. I had just gotten back from the range and was talking guns too so I had numbers and countries coming out my ears. Lol
Over the weekend I had used some 380 grit paper and a Dremel wire brush to dress the bolt and remove burrs and sharp edges. It was rust and pitting free thankfully. Smoothed out nicely. I had the issue where you had to slap the bolt handle upwards to eject spent shell. Now its' much much better. Really cleaned up an area on receiver the bolt rests against when locking bolt down.

Anybody shoot heavy ball ammo through theirs? I been using Barnaul and just began shooting Wolf copper washed. Both light ball.
You probably have burnt gunk inside the chamber area, where the bolt lugs lock in. You need a 90 degree wire or brush, Try sticking a clean patch in there and scratch, see what is on the patch. It's a common thing.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

steelbuttplate wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:46 pmYou probably have burnt gunk inside the chamber area, where the bolt lugs lock in. You need a 90 degree wire or brush, Try sticking a clean patch in there and scratch, see what is on the patch. It's a common thing.
Nice M44! Steelbuttplate is right right there. Normally it's a bore issue, and they're really hard to get the backed on caked on cosmoline out of them. I soaked the bore of my M27 with Hoppes #9 and used a shotgun bore brush soaked in Hoppes on the end of a cordless drill to finally get mine cleaned out and fix the "sticky bolt syndrome". If you have a good light or bore scope you can actually see it in the bore chamber edge where the bolt meets the chamber so you know where it needs cleaned.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...