Romanian M44

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
JDWPatriot

Romanian M44

Post by JDWPatriot »

Hi guys. I recently thought I was trading for a Russian M44, but it turned out to be Romanian. There aren't that many of them around, so I was pleased, but I don't know much about them and I can't find much other than the basics. I like to catalog all my guns and that includes the parts, so I'm wanting to know if things like the stock are original Romanian. It's red shellac and has stampings in several spots. If anyone can help me with any information, that would be great! ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ffuries

Re: Romanian M44

Post by ffuries »

Welcome to forum and the madness, we have some very knowledgeable members and are a pretty laid back group for the most part.

Here's some good information that will answer most if not all your questions.

viewtopic.php?t=2410

Right off the bat, you have what is referred to as a "Mix Master" as it appears that your serial numbered parts don't match. Your stock is a Romanian stock.

Here's another post that talks about stock markings and such.

https://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum. ... hp?t=27251

SN locations.

Butt plate
Magazine floor plate
Bolt
Barrel
Stock? Trying to remember if the Romanians marked their stocks in the barrel channels or not.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
JDWPatriot

Post by JDWPatriot »

Thx for the very helpful info! As for the inside stock markings, there are none with the exception of what looks like a half stamped triangle at the rear of the receiver area. Not legible by any means.

Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

A 1955 Romanian M44, it may be non-matching but it looks great!!

Mixmaster Romy M44's are very common & overall Romania had the least amount of M44 production of all the Satalite nations (Romania, China, Poland & Hungary).
Romanian M44 Production Numbers.jpg
Finding an all matching Romanian M44 is not easy.... Enjoy your new acquisition! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Well, guess what came through the shop doors and wandered home with me, a 1954 Romanian M44. All matching except the bolt.
Romanian M44 005.JPG
Romanian M44 004.JPG
Romanian M44 003.JPG
Romanian M44 003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I must have been lucky, I few years ago I picked up a numbers matching (Not forced match) 1954 Romanian.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
JDWPatriot

Post by JDWPatriot »

Thx Rongo!

qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

A large number of these, if not all, were either manufactured or "refurbished" at Cugir, Romania. Their refurbishments seemed to just generally make the guns safe. I suspect that they used the same process that the Russians did with parts mixing parts but they didn't seem to have the Russian compulsion to match them up. Although in later days they did do so EP matching. You can find Chinese parts, Romanian parts, Hungarian parts and even Russian parts and stocks on these guns. I suspect if the bolt headspaced, it was good to go. Once in a while you could find pristine and fully matching Romanian M-44's. At one time I had quite a few of them.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Numbers matching Romy's are hard to come by today. Glad I got mine when I did.
0 Romanian Group 53 55 All Matching 01.jpg
Right to left;

1953, 1954 & 1955 Numbers matching Romanian M44 Trio
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

That’s a nice looking trio right there Rongo!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

TnBuckeye wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:20 am That’s a nice looking trio right there Rongo!
Thanks! I would hate to try & find them in today's market.

Here's all of them from 2012. I sold one but hung onto my 1st Mosin and the matching trio...
0 Romanian Group 5 rifles.jpg

"Dang that entropy"