Are these worth anything?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
qz2026

Re: Are these worth anything?

Post by qz2026 »

capt14k wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:20 am
qz2026 wrote:Prices are all over the board for Mosins right now. I just saw an MO 91/30 sell for $315, which I though was pretty low for this gun. Alternately, I've seen average refubs sell for $350. I also recently saw an Argentine 1909 carbine, a matching 1st variant Ejercito, sell for $315 too. A steel in anyone's book. Then you will see standard 1909/47 selling for $500+. I guess the secret now when selling is being hopeful that newbies bid. Yet, that is a bit risky. I don't think many collectors would even pay $300 anymore for a 91/30 unless it was one that filled a hole. Listing a rifle anymore is a crap shoot. I recently sold the majority of my guns to Larry Eisel but that's a different story.
You sold to Eisel and didn't give me a shot first lol. Now I have to catch the blanket when it needs a recharge.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
LOL... Sorry. I gave some hints of this for the last couple of months. A few guys here read between the lines and jumped and got some really nice stuff. I'll say that Larry is a top notch guy, was fair and has excellent communication - he called about once a week keeping me up to date with his travel plans. Matter of fact he upped his offer about 25% when he actually saw the collection. Not so with the other biggie in the market. The GunBroker scenario was just getting so old with boxing and shipping. And the stress of listing any more was too much for me. It's a total crap shoot now. I did keep about 12 that I like shooting and reload for. He may float some stuff out there soon but most of it will take a while. When you see 91/59's and 91/38's that have been unobtanium for years, you will know that those were mine. I had all of them. And I think a lot of them will go large. He did insist that he had to have my Venezuelan short rifle (a real tack driver). That was a difficult one since I wanted to keep it. The '95 Spanish carbine was difficult too. But, I kept a couple other 7mm rifles. The matching Chilean 1912 (tack shooter too), I insisted on keeping that one though :lol: No regrets though. Problem is that I had to order a rubber stamp with his info on it for booking out the rifles. Otherwise it would take forever.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

qz2026 wrote:
qz2026 wrote:Prices are all over the board for Mosins right now. I just saw an MO 91/30 sell for $315, which I though was pretty low for this gun. Alternately, I've seen average refubs sell for $350. I also recently saw an Argentine 1909 carbine, a matching 1st variant Ejercito, sell for $315 too. A steel in anyone's book. Then you will see standard 1909/47 selling for $500+. I guess the secret now when selling is being hopeful that newbies bid. Yet, that is a bit risky. I don't think many collectors would even pay $300 anymore for a 91/30 unless it was one that filled a hole. Listing a rifle anymore is a crap shoot. I recently sold the majority of my guns to Larry Eisel but that's a different story.
You sold to Eisel and didn't give me a shot first lol. Now I have to catch the blanket when it needs a recharge.

LOL... Sorry. I gave some hints of this for the last couple of months. A few guys here read between the lines and jumped and got some really nice stuff. I'll say that Larry is a top notch guy, was fair and has excellent communication - he called about once a week keeping me up to date with his travel plans. Matter of fact he upped his offer about 25% when he actually saw the collection. Not so with the other biggie in the market. The GunBroker scenario was just getting so old with boxing and shipping. And the stress of listing any more was too much for me. It's a total crap shoot now. I did keep about 12 that I like shooting and reload for. He may float some stuff out there soon but most of it will take a while. When you see 91/59's and 91/38's that have been unobtanium for years, you will know that those were mine. I had all of them. And I think a lot of them will go large. He did insist that he had to have my Venezuelan short rifle (a real tack driver). That was a difficult one since I wanted to keep it. The '95 Spanish carbine was difficult too. But, I kept a couple other 7mm rifles. The matching Chilean 1912 (tack shooter too), I insisted on keeping that one though :lol: No regrets though. Problem is that I had to order a rubber stamp with his info on it for booking out the rifles. Otherwise it would take forever.
Yeah it is a lot of work listing and shipping a bunch of rifles. Takes me an hour on average to properly pack a rifle. Needs to be able to survive a 6' fall, and not move around in the box.

I still need a Venezuelan Carbine in the white and 1912 Chilean Short in the White. I have Vene Short and Target. I also have a 1912 Chilean Short with SIG replacement barrel but they blued them when they replaced the barrel.

Also need a 1909 Argentine Mountain Carbine (not full stock). The one time OOW has something listed at a fair price and another bidder pops up at the last minute. I wasn't getting into a bidding war so I dropped out at $750 which was $100 more than I wanted to go.

Also need a 1909 Peruvian Short. Just picked up a matching vz32 Peruvian.

I just recently managed to get 1908 Uruguayan (I believe it is a short) and 1909 dated Uruguayan, all matching, to go with my 1910 dated Uruguayan. Unfortunately I also recently just missed a vz37 Uruguayan, twice.

Those 5 rifles will complete each country for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

qz2026 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:01 am

This was my 1909 Mountain Rifle... :cry:
1 - ID Argentine M1909 Engineer's Mountain Carbine 1910 DWM sn A4108 C&R.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

qz2026 wrote:

LOL... Sorry. I gave some hints of this for the last couple of months. A few guys here read between the lines and jumped and got some really nice stuff. I'll say that Larry is a top notch guy, was fair and has excellent communication - he called about once a week keeping me up to date with his travel plans. Matter of fact he upped his offer about 25% when he actually saw the collection. Not so with the other biggie in the market. The GunBroker scenario was just getting so old with boxing and shipping. And the stress of listing any more was too much for me. It's a total crap shoot now. I did keep about 12 that I like shooting and reload for. He may float some stuff out there soon but most of it will take a while. When you see 91/59's and 91/38's that have been unobtanium for years, you will know that those were mine. I had all of them. And I think a lot of them will go large. He did insist that he had to have my Venezuelan short rifle (a real tack driver). That was a difficult one since I wanted to keep it. The '95 Spanish carbine was difficult too. But, I kept a couple other 7mm rifles. The matching Chilean 1912 (tack shooter too), I insisted on keeping that one though [emoji38] No regrets though. Problem is that I had to order a rubber stamp with his info on it for booking out the rifles. Otherwise it would take forever.
That is what I need

qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

capt14k wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:02 pm
qz2026 wrote:

LOL... Sorry. I gave some hints of this for the last couple of months. A few guys here read between the lines and jumped and got some really nice stuff. I'll say that Larry is a top notch guy, was fair and has excellent communication - he called about once a week keeping me up to date with his travel plans. Matter of fact he upped his offer about 25% when he actually saw the collection. Not so with the other biggie in the market. The GunBroker scenario was just getting so old with boxing and shipping. And the stress of listing any more was too much for me. It's a total crap shoot now. I did keep about 12 that I like shooting and reload for. He may float some stuff out there soon but most of it will take a while. When you see 91/59's and 91/38's that have been unobtanium for years, you will know that those were mine. I had all of them. And I think a lot of them will go large. He did insist that he had to have my Venezuelan short rifle (a real tack driver). That was a difficult one since I wanted to keep it. The '95 Spanish carbine was difficult too. But, I kept a couple other 7mm rifles. The matching Chilean 1912 (tack shooter too), I insisted on keeping that one though [emoji38] No regrets though. Problem is that I had to order a rubber stamp with his info on it for booking out the rifles. Otherwise it would take forever.
That is what I need

Yeah, I originally got that gun from a gal named Vivian (The Mauser Shop-M SS) on GunBroker (Larry knows her too) but formulated our deals outside of GB since her starting prices are so high. And it didn't come cheap either. A true Mountain rifle configuration that you rarely see. Most listing I see that are labeled Mountain Rifles and mere 1909 Engineer's carbines. I learned a lot from Vivian. She is from Argentina and has a lot of connections and access to very knowledgeable people in that country. I can't remember her GB ID but she occasionally lists some of her remaining guns.
Bill-ay

Post by Bill-ay »

I'm quite surprised that the 1939 Izhevsk I put on Gunbroker is doing much better than the 1934 Tula HEX Mo stamped one. Interesting market for them right now I guess.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:10 pm Price the cost of a new commercial rifle in .30-06 ( closest you will likely find to 7.62x54r) anything built as stout as the Mosin 91/30 will run one hell of a lot more than $300. Commercial sporters are smoother and maybe nicer finished than the Mosin, and new of course, but in the end both rifles do the same job. I don't think there are Mosin imports coming in at the moment, probably not for awhile. What happens when you see sudden inventory appear at the dealers is they are pulling things out of storage. These guys are in the business of making a profit selling these rifles, they aren't collectors thinning the ranks. They buy 300 crates, sell 125 right away to cover their outlay, they a year or two later when prices are higher they sell off another 50 or so, and then the rest get sold in small lots for big profit.
Absolutely true. The shipments into the country have all but dried up because for the most part the Ukrainian horde was sold off and what was left was raided during the war. Depots were cleaned out and demolished in some cases. There's probably still crates of these in Russia but the import issues we have with them prevent many from making their way here. A lot of what we see on the market are from storage. I know for a fact one our vendors on gun-deals bought over 100 PU Snipers years ago when they were still cheap and stored them away. He has a brick and mortar store, an online store and is also a distributor so he has a huge warehouse. He pulls a few out and lists them on Gunbroker and they sell between $1000-$1500. He doesn't list them on his site and doesn't have them out in the store for sale. I know he has them because he sold me one two years ago for $550 as a favor and when I told him what I was looking for he got the warehouse manager to pull three or four of them out and take pictures for me.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Not sure if you guys don't believe there are new Mosin imports coming in or don't want to believe it, but the truth is there are and there have been. Rear sights are pinned at 300m and Century/Sarco has warehouses full they are importing from Ukraine. Just like IO has warehouses full of Carcanos,. Enfields, and Mausers they are importing from Ethiopia. They made hundreds of millions, to think they have dried up is very short-sighted, or it is intentionally short sighted because those that own them are hoping one day Mosins will be worth what Mausers are.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

capt14k wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:16 am Not sure if you guys don't believe there are new Mosin imports coming in or don't want to believe it, but the truth is there are and there have been. Rear sights are pinned at 300m and Century/Sarco has warehouses full they are importing from Ukraine. Just like IO has warehouses full of Carcanos,. Enfields, and Mausers they are importing from Ethiopia. They made hundreds of millions, to think they have dried up is very short-sighted, or it is intentionally short sighted because those that own them are hoping one day Mosins will be worth what Mausers are.

Mosins are already worth a shitload more than guys who were collecting when I was paid for them. With the current climate of crazy I am not selling anything so what they sell for doesn't mean shit to me. Not buying either so current price or availability is also meaningless to me, I made a pig out of myself years back buying Mosins in multiple lots over and over again, that's enough of that behavior. With that said I did very recently acquire another Izhevsk 91/30 Soviet refurb, probably 15 year old import, looks like it never was used here. It was part of a deal for a Remington 870 I wanted, take both or nothing. What I paid was what the Remington was worth by itself so you can say I got my last 91/30 for free. Weldonhunter would be much more up to date on what is being imported and what they sell for given that he is in the business, and his knowledge is current. My knowledge on the subject dates from when I was still heavily collecting, and that was before 2010.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

CarcanosImageImageImage

capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Just a few pics of one of the warehouses bought by IO. I have pics of one of the Ukraine Warehouses somewhere too.

capt14k

Post by capt14k »

No more 91/30 coming in? Century just got a shipment of 1479 91/30 on 6/16/20 and that is from Limex, and PW Arms got 3,000 SKSImage

capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Lots of ammo imported recently as well both 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r over half a million rounds of each. I believe this time will be known as the Silver Age of Milsurps.

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Well that's good news on the VKT antique. Amazing. That's 4 times what I paid for the one I have. The good ole days were good
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

bunkysdad wrote:Well that's good news on the VKT antique. Amazing. That's 4 times what I paid for the one I have. The good ole days were good
I put up a 1941 SAKO PL marked Antique not rearsenaled. Figure if VKT Antique can get $1200 I should be able to get even more. If not I will keep it.

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

capt14k wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:36 am Lots of ammo imported recently as well both 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r over half a million rounds of each. I believe this time will be known as the Silver Age of Milsurps.

Yeah maybe the tarnished silver age. There's some shipments coming in (I said all but dried up), a lot from Ethiopia, but it's a drop in the bucket comparatively speaking and a lot of the rifles are fair to good condition or because they're so bad they're labeling them "surplus turn-in". On top of this a lot of the rifles available are in calibers that the ammo is fairly scarce. I said the shipments have all but dried up and for the most part they have. My point is and I should have qualified what I meant was there are some shipments coming in but it seems like this stuff is bottom of the barrel compared to what we were getting and at premium prices for a lot of it. Part of the pricing is because of the current market being driven by people buying anything that fires ammunition granted but I just put a round receiver Izhevsk M91/30 listing on gun-deals that's $358.99. If we were seeing the numbers we had in the past that price would be 30% less even in this market. I know importers that were getting 5 to 10+ million rounds of surplus ammo in one shipment when it was available. We're not seeing anything close to that now. I'm glad something is still coming in though.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

The ones to Century and PW Arms aren't from Ethiopia they are from Limex in Australia. Century also has their own deal in Ukraine on top of that. Ethiopia stuff is IO. There is a whole lot of surplus out there and it is coming in. The reason prices are high is panic buying and free money. Free money is drying up. Now watch for the panic selling next.

Honestly the stuff Limex has is very nice. They don't deal in junk. At this point they are the largest arms dealer in the world..

tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

I believe that is Austria, not Australia.........

Limex GmbH

Company:

Limex GmbH

Type of company:

Manufacturer, Trading company, Agent (Logistic, finance and any services)

Austria
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

tomaustin wrote:I believe that is Austria, not Australia.........

Limex GmbH

Company:

Limex GmbH

Type of company:

Manufacturer, Trading company, Agent (Logistic, finance and any services)

Austria
Yes. Damn autocorrect. It's on the full bill of lading I posted earlier. An Austrian dealer is the one who had told me the number of Carcanos they have in stock.

Igrlik

Post by Igrlik »

tomaustin wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:31 pm I believe that is Austria, not Australia.........
- Australia, kangaroo...?
- Nope! Austria, Glock!!!
:mrgreen: