Mauser 98 barrel/receiver gap?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Synack

Mauser 98 barrel/receiver gap?

Post by Synack »

I recently inherited quite a few Mausers from my dad. Turns out he had a hobby of assembling K98(s) from random parts. I even found some put together with vz24 receivers. Out of paranoia I've checked every one of the assembled guns with a field gauge, so far, so good. However, there is this one that bothers me... I like this one in particular just because it's a scrubbed receiver with a really nice bore. However, there is a noticeable gap between the barrel shoulder/collar and the receiver. Aside from aesthetics would it be anything to worry about? (Totally does not want to close on a field gauge.)

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mauser 98 barrel/receiver gap?

Post by Longcolt44 »

Being a preservation forum I doubt we can help you. You would be better off asking your questions from a K98 or Mauser forum.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Longcolt44 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:24 pm Being a preservation forum I doubt we can help you. You would be better off asking your questions from a K98 or Mauser forum.
Or a gunsmith. In this case a "go" gauge might be appropriate - could be a replacement barrel. And that's the safety part of it. Then the Mauser guys can comment on the value. Yet, I wouldn't think that post assembled rifles would get much on the market. One thing for sure, I wouldn't shoot it unless a gunsmith gave me the thumbs up. Really any of them where you think they've be re-barreled... :2cents:
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

Check online, I know I've seen some video's on re-barreling mausers, seems they talked about the 98's having 2 surfaces that need to be machined to match the interface between the barrel and receiver. If the barrel is tight to the receiver at the bolt face and it head spaces ok It might be ok, but I would have it checked out if I was you.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington