Does it look legit?

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Chuck_w

Does it look legit?

Post by Chuck_w »

Hello again guys. Thank you all for educating me on the mosin sniper. My first sniper purchase was a fake and I don’t want to make that mistake again. That being said...I’m looking at another rifle and wanted to ask for help this time around. I feel like the scope and mount look legit but I’m unsure about the rifle itself. It’s not a Tula so it doesn’t have the classic CR on it . The time frame is correct for a PU. Do you see any markings that would help confirm that the rifle is legit? I asked if he could find the scope serial number on the rifle receiver. Anyway, the pics that I have are here for your scrutiny. Thank you again for your help.
Chuck_w

Re: Does it look legit?

Post by Chuck_w »

Sorry, having trouble loading some pics
Chuck_w

Post by Chuck_w »

3rd time is the charm!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck_w

Post by Chuck_w »

58 views but no comments?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

It looks pretty good to me Chuck, but I don't have any snipers. I'm going on what I've read under the Sniper Rifles section. What is the prefix on the scope before the numbers ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Chuck_w wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:15 pm 58 views but no comments?
The legit or not of Mosin Nagant snipers is a science in itself. Members stop by to see if it has been found to be legit or not and hopefully glean some information. You are not being ignored, one of our sniper experts just haven't seen this post. I'm not one.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

I need to see more pics to confirm its legit, but so far it looks ok. You need pics of the left side of the barrel shank, and more pics of the mount, bolt handle, scope, and reciever.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

The alpha prefix, ФЛ, is one of the known alpha prefixes used on '44-dated Izhevsk PU snipers so it would appear to be legit.The rifle itself was was refurb'd at the 2nd GRAU Arsenal in Kiev (crossed square refurb stamp on barrel shank).The serial number on the bolt body appears the be in a different font to the one on the barrel shank so I'd hazard a guess that a scrubbed bolt body was fitted and restamped during the refurb process.

The "ГИС in a diamond" mark on the left side of the barrel shank is a modern Russian Federation proof mark, which is a C.I.P-recognised proof mark, and shows if was proofed at the Klimovsk-5 proof house.

It would appear to me that it is a fairly typical legit arsenal refurbed PU, my '44 Izhevsk PU is much the same with arsenal matching alpha prefixed serial-numbers and it was also refurbished at the 2nd GRAU Arsenal in '59 but mine lacks the Klimovsk proof mark as it was proofed for civilian sale in
Mellrichstadt, Germany in 2008.

List of Izhevsk PU snipers by year and prefix.....

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... niper-list

There is a rifle listed in the '44 section with the same alpha prefix that is only 118 off your serial number......probably produced on the same day!.
Chuck_w

Post by Chuck_w »

Thank you gentlemen. You have been very helpful and it is much appreciated.
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

Chuck_w wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:29 am Thank you gentlemen. You have been very helpful and it is much appreciated.
No problem mate :thumbsup:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Snayperskaya wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:43 am The alpha prefix, ФЛ, is one of the known alpha prefixes used on '44-dated Izhevsk PU snipers so it would appear to be legit.The rifle itself was was refurb'd at the 2nd GRAU Arsenal in Kiev (crossed square refurb stamp on barrel shank).The serial number on the bolt body appears the be in a different font to the one on the barrel shank so I'd hazard a guess that a scrubbed bolt body was fitted and restamped during the refurb process.

The "ГИС in a diamond" mark on the left side of the barrel shank is a modern Russian Federation proof mark, which is a C.I.P-recognised proof mark, and shows if was proofed at the Klimovsk-5 proof house.

It would appear to me that it is a fairly typical legit arsenal refurbed PU, my '44 Izhevsk PU is much the same with arsenal matching alpha prefixed serial-numbers and it was also refurbished at the 2nd GRAU Arsenal in '59 but mine lacks the Klimovsk proof mark as it was proofed for civilian sale in
Mellrichstadt, Germany in 2008.

List of Izhevsk PU snipers by year and prefix.....

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... niper-list

There is a rifle listed in the '44 section with the same alpha prefix that is only 118 off your serial number......probably produced on the same day!.
Saying a Pu sniper is legit based on the serial number is a huge crap shoot and not very prudent. Like Miller said, more photos of what is these is needed. Basing it on just a serial mark and a few present day marks from and exporter is not advisable at all.

Darryl (Dolk)
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

I was merely pointing out that the OP's alpha prefix is on the list of prefixes used for '44 Izhevsk PU's.Would someone fake an alpha prefix?, I doubt it.

I didn't say it "was" legit, but that it "appears" to be legit....there is a difference.

And the "ГИС" mark isn't an exporters mark, it is a proof mark.All Russian civilian firearms and surplus rifles sold onto the civilian mark require a proof mark as Russia is a member of the C.I.P

I was only trying to be helpful.......
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Snayperskaya wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:00 am I didn't say it "was" legit, but that it "appears" to be legit....there is a difference.
It reminds me of Billy Crystal (Magic Max) in Princess Bride.

"I didn't say he was dead, I said he was mostly dead". :chuckles:

Takes more then a few marks "ONLY".

And yes, they would fake a prefix. I've seen them do more then that. That is why it is important to see all the marks and items on the sniper. Experts like Miller know that too.

Darryl (Dolk)
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Snayperskaya wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:00 am I was merely pointing out that the OP's alpha prefix is on the list of prefixes used for '44 Izhevsk PU's.Would someone fake an alpha prefix?, I doubt it.

I didn't say it "was" legit, but that it "appears" to be legit....there is a difference.

And the "ГИС" mark isn't an exporters mark, it is a proof mark.All Russian civilian firearms and surplus rifles sold onto the civilian mark require a proof mark as Russia is a member of the C.I.P

What about the scope number. Is there anything similar on the list ? I don't see any.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

dolk wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:51 pm
Snayperskaya wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:00 am I didn't say it "was" legit, but that it "appears" to be legit....there is a difference.
It reminds me of Billy Crystal (Magic Max) in Princess Bride.

"I didn't say he was dead, I said he was mostly dead". :chuckles:

Takes more then a few marks "ONLY".

And yes, they would fake a prefix. I've seen them do more then that. That is why it is important to see all the marks and items on the sniper. Experts like Miller know that too.

Darryl (Dolk)
If I'm wrong I'll hold my hand up as every day is a school day and there is always things to learn.

I'm just interested to know what your opinion on it is, based on what you see in the photos, in your own mind.....you must have formulated an opinion on it as that's what we do when we see something regardless of whether it is a rifle, a car or a pretty girl etc.

I'm not trying to be awkward, I'm just genuinely interested.......
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Snayperskaya wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:00 am I was merely pointing out that the OP's alpha prefix is on the list of prefixes used for '44 Izhevsk PU's.Would someone fake an alpha prefix?, I doubt it.

Not entirely true you can find plenty of Mosins floating around without that mark. Should read as any exported after X date for that to be true. Otherwise all that mark proves is it did indeed come from Russia. I also agree with Dolk and them though needs more pictures if nothing else just because we like pictures, but also so Miller can take a closer look.
Chuck_w

Post by Chuck_w »

Thank you all gentlemen. When I posted the pics that I had, I didn’t have the rifle in hand. Now I have it and can attach more pics as requested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck_w

Post by Chuck_w »

And a few more
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

From what i can see the mount and scope are correct, the bolt looks good, and it appears as though the scope number was scrubbed ( reciever shoulder shows signs of it) and no new number applied to the barrel shank.

I would say its a legit sniper, and one of the more recent imports.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin