1944 Izhevsk PU Showcase submission

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Snayperskaya

1944 Izhevsk PU Showcase submission

Post by Snayperskaya »

Hi from the UK :)

I thought I'd submit some pics of my 1944 Izhevsk PU sniper that I picked up a few weeks back.I when to a local-ish shop to pick up some bullets and powder but spotted this in the racks and had to have it as it was a steal by UK prices!.

She is a '44-dated Izhevsk PU with all stamped matching numbers with a ЛБ prefix, although I believe the main bolt body was changed at refurb and it has a Tula Star marked bolt head (only non-Izhevsk part), the original scope serial number has been scrubbed although a faint "4" is still visible.There is also black paint on the Izhevsk stamps barrel bands and the cleaning rod, which I think may have been done at refurb time.The muzzle crown is in very nice condition and not counter-bored and the rifling is very crisp and sharp and one of the best looking bores I've seen on a rifle of this age and to say she shoots well is an understatement, especially with handloads.

The scope is a NKV Plant No.357 "Progress" SVT scope that is 1940-dated with a 1959-dated refurb mark from the 2nd GRAU Arsenal in Kiev.The mount has the rifle number electro-pencilled on it and has a couple of Izhevsk Arsenal stamps and a couple of small inspectors stamps.The scope also has "203", a letter "K" and "2X" stamped between the elevation and windage turrets and the serial number is 04651.

The stock appears to be the original and has the mid to late war sling slot escutcheons and has the vast majority of its finish.I can't see an obvious refurb stamp on it, certainly nothing like the prominent 1st GRAU Arsenal stamp on my ex-Dragoon's stock.

Marks on the stock that I can make out are;

28 in a circle
18 in a circle x2
28 in a circle
62 in a circle
A letter P
A number 5
3 in a square
5 in a square
Cyrillic letter Я x2
C over 13 in a "tombstone"
Number 2 in a trapezium

And on the receiver/barrel shank, as well as the date/serial number/Soviet crest;

Л in a square x2......Looks like a Л to my eyes.
Two very small number 3's, on receiver and one opposite on barrel shank
Letter "m" in a square
X in a square (2nd GRAU Kiev?)
Cyrillic у in a circle
3 in a trapezium on trigger guard.
Izhevsk Arsenal stamps on just about everything!.
_20181229_151127.JPG
DSC_0110.JPG
DSC_0112.JPG
DSC_0120.JPG
_20181229_150452.JPG
DSC_0113.JPG
DSC_0121.JPG
DSC_0123.JPG
DSC_0114.JPG
DSC_0115.JPG
DSC_0116.JPG
DSC_0127.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snayperskaya

Re: 1944 Izhevsk PU Showcase submission

Post by Snayperskaya »

DSC_0124.JPG
_20181208_190233.JPG
DSC_0125.JPG
_20181213_235828.JPG
DSC_0080.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I'm unfamiliar with how things are regarding gun availability & ownership in the UK. I'm sure getting any kind of gun is far more difficult than here in the US.

It's a fine PU rifle for sure, but would be a nearly exact duplication with 3 other 44 PU rifles already on the showcase.

Thanks for sharing... & good for you to find a cool rifle like that in the UK!

Rongo
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

Rongo wrote:I'm unfamiliar with how things are regarding gun availability & ownership in the UK. I'm sure getting any kind of gun is far more difficult than here in the US.

It's a fine PU rifle for sure, but would be a nearly exact duplication with 3 other 44 PU rifles already on the showcase.

Thanks for sharing... & good for you to find a cool rifle like that in the UK!

Rongo
Thanks for the reply :)

Gun availability isn't as bad in the UK as many would believe, although we do have less choice than you guys.A lot of UK shooters only want a M44 or M38 carbine for the muzzle flash and there aren't many Mosin collectors as such.

Genuine Mosin snipers are quite rare but there are a lot of reproduction/fake PU's, this situation isn't helped by dealers that make them up with reproduction scopes and mounts and sell them as original......one dealer that I won't name was selling reproduction PU-scoped M44 carbines as " Russian Border Guard tower sniper rifles" for the equivalent of around $900 USD!!!.

I spent around 5 years looking for a PU sniper before finding this one by accident and all the previous rifles I'd looked at were all reproduction/faked with modern scopes or clearly rifles that were never originally a sniper.
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

I think the fakes outnumber the real ones now. You can count on finding a fair amount of fakes for sale up here. The real ones stand out from the rest, and the prices are way higher!
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

miner49r wrote:I think the fakes outnumber the real ones now. You can count on finding a fair amount of fakes for sale up here. The real ones stand out from the rest, and the prices are way higher!
To be honest I dropped lucky with mine as the shop I bought it from knew next to nothing about Mosins, as far as they were concerned it was "a Mosin that someone has fitted a scope to"!!!, and it was priced about the same as a standard 91/30.