Scoping a SAINT

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
qz2026

Scoping a SAINT

Post by qz2026 »

I'm branching out to an AR platform (again). I had a Colt LE6920 M-4 several years ago but sold it. Never even shot it... A couple of weeks ago I noticed that SOG had them on sale, new in the box, but still the 2013 model I had had. I almost popped on it but really like the new Springfield SAINTS. After doing some pricing research I found one at a crazy low price and bought it. My question is that I want to scope it. My only concern is how much the front sight will obscure the sight picture and/or target. From what I have seen, the front sight frame appears but is blurry because it is out of focus. I suppose I could buy a riser but then I'm looking at a cheep piece I think. I could mount a red dot on a riser but I'd prefer the scope since I want to shoot 100 yards and out and my old eyes must can't see the bull anymore at even 100 yards.

Anyone have a scoped AR with a high front sight? What is your experience? Right now I'm looking at a mount with a 2 inch offset for proper eye relief and a 4-12x40 scope. Just worried a little that the front sight will be an issue.

Thanks.
steelbuttplate

Re: Scoping a SAINT

Post by steelbuttplate »

I have an AR scope, laser, lighted reticle, and no AR. I ended up with it at Christmas. NIB. Need to sell or trade. If interested PM me.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

You don't see the front sight post at all unless you have a very low power scope, like a 2x. reason being is that the focal point of the scope is way past the sight post, in essence it's like having two lenses that look "around" the post.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

I have a couple of scopes on front sight post AR's. Anything over 3 power ghosts out the front sight so you won't see it. I have a Leupold 3x9 on one, and a Leupold 1.5x4 on the other one. It still ghosts the front sight at 1.5 to 2.5 power, but you can still make out the front sight post, but it doesn't get in the way of shooting.

I absolutely love shooting my AR that has the 3x9 on it, and it's my favorite AR.

Obligatory picture of the "herd". I like AR's as much as I like Milsurps. :D

Last edited by RazorBurn on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

RazorBurn wrote:I have a couple of scopes on front sight post AR's. Anything over 3 power ghosts out the front sight so you won't see it. I have a Leupold 3x9 on one, and a Leupold 1.5x4 on the other one. It still ghosts the front sight at 1.5 to 2.5 power, but you can still make out the front sight post, but it doesn't get in the way of shooting.

I absolutely love shooing my AR that has the 3x9 on it, and it's my favorite one.
Wow, nice collection. What I'm looking to do with the new rifle... :thumbsup:
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Well, I got it and it's ready for some fun... As everyone indicated, I can't see the front sight at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

SWEET!!! Let us know how it shoots.