Non-Finn Austrian capture 1915 Izhevsk M91 (Poorly advertised auction)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
lthilsdorf

Non-Finn Austrian capture 1915 Izhevsk M91 (Poorly advertised auction)

Post by lthilsdorf »

I placed a bid on this rifle rifle and somehow won it at only $275 + auction fees. It was very poorly advertised, but appears to be a World War I original Austrian captured M91. I see a nice "W" stamp on the stock, Austrian sling swivels, and no clear Finn markings. The auction house took just enough photos to give me a good clue what it was. When it arrives I'll get some better photos. After buying only Arisaka's for the last few months, it's nice to find a good Mosin.

Just have the auction house photos for now. Any thoughts?

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
lthilsdorf

Re: Non-Finn Austrian capture 1915 Izhevsk M91 (Poorly advertised auction)

Post by lthilsdorf »

UPS just dropped the rifle off. It's an overcast day here, but I went out and took some photos. It's an interesting rifle, no doubt!

The sling swivels are clearly Austrian in origin. That along with the "W" on the top of the buttstock seems to solidify that the stock is at least WWI Austrian in origin. There is a faint cartouche on the side, but I can only make out the Imperial eagle and the "19". Seems lightly sanded perhaps (very smooth) but the finger grooves are still very strong. The graffiti on it is clearly very old.

Ok, as for the barreled action here is what I've determined. It's a 1915 Izhevsk with no Finnish marks on it. There is also no import mark. I cannot get the barrel out of the stock as someone buggered up the rear barrel band screw and I don't dare mess with it more. There is also a small screw keeping it from moving, but it is not Finnish in origin.The bore is a mess, with dirt and cobwebs and little rifling showing. It's clearly sat around unused for a long time. The only real unknown marking is the "T" on the receiver right under the Imperial eagle.

All the parts on this rifle are correct WWI era as far as I can tell. Several are Chatellerault marked, but none are WWII era that you'd expect on an M91 that was left in the Communist block post-WWII.

Is there any idea on the sling? It's ratty, but I'm not sure if it's military or civilian in origin. There are no markings at all on it.

So what's the overall opinion? I'll post this on the World War I forum as well. In any case I'm glad I was able to pick it up at the price I did. First rifle I've used my new C&R license with too!

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SWEEET :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Well the old war horse has a lot going on, I like it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Pretty neat mag swivel or what's left of it. I've seen that T on the receiver or barrel shank before but can't remember the details, sorry. Congrats it was a good score.
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Evidently the sling is an Austrian M95 sling, which are very rare to come by. Certainly it must be original to the rifle. I had a feeling but wasn't 100% sure on that. That sling style is what necessitated the added sling swivels on most of these Austrian issued Mosin Nagants.

ffuries

Post by ffuries »

lthilsdorf wrote:Evidently the sling is an Austrian M95 sling, which are very rare to come by. Certainly it must be original to the rifle. I had a feeling but wasn't 100% sure on that. That sling style is what necessitated the added sling swivels on most of these Austrian issued Mosin Nagants.
That is pretty cool and interesting information on the sling. Awesome rifle by the way, I like it a lot, would have jumped on it also.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cool rifle, it's cool to me, but all that matters is it's cool to you, who cares what anyone else thinks. I bought lots of rifles like this back when issued looking Mosin 91's were looked down on as old Rooskie junk. These type rifles are my favorites in the collection, the most interesting, every mismatched part, scrape, ding and crack has a story behind it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I really like this. Looks fresh off the battlefield. No replacement handguard, cool trench art, man this one probably has a lot of secrets. Good score.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Great example.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I'll trade you for my Last ditch bringback :brows:

Yea, I already know the answer to that one... :lol:

Nice one! :thumbsup:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

I don't think i have seen marks that big on a rifle before,makes it unique.
I like it.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi