Austro-Hungarian M1891

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Indian 44

Austro-Hungarian M1891

Post by Indian 44 »

Is there any documentation of the A-H 8x50r Mosin-Nagant? Number of rifles, markings, etc. Were there any used in WW1, or were they all captured battlefield rifles that were dealt with after the war? Did any survive as 8mm?
racerguy00

Re: Austro-Hungarian M1891

Post by racerguy00 »

On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Indian 44

Post by Indian 44 »

Racer- That's what I'm interested in, just something more indepth. I'm hoping to find a reference book of some kind from the people involved. Think "Hatchers Notebook" only by a European. There was a poster I found from 5 years ago from Finland, but was only in one thread and dissapeared. Maybe someone else from across the pond can offer further information. Indian.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The author is JPS on the forums, he may be,a member here.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Indian 44 wrote:Racer- That's what I'm interested in, just something more indepth. I'm hoping to find a reference book of some kind from the people involved. Think "Hatchers Notebook" only by a European. There was a poster I found from 5 years ago from Finland, but was only in one thread and dissapeared. Maybe someone else from across the pond can offer further information. Indian.
How many foreign languages do you read and speak because to find anything like you are wondering about will require that I am afraid. John or JPS is over on Tuco and Vic Thomas old boards and I don't think he posts here. He is very knowledgeable and has written many magazine articles about the subjects you are seeking to learn about. He is the only one I know that writes in English though. I pick up bits and pieces but have never seen much in the way of English language books on the topics you seek I am afraid. Bill :cry:
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

I think JPS has the only one I've ever seen. The ones converted back to 7.62x54r by the Finn's pop up from time to time. I have a Sestroryetsk with an Austrian rear sight base.
Indian 44

Post by Indian 44 »

TulaTom wrote:I think JPS has the only one I've ever seen. The ones converted back to 7.62x54r by the Finn's pop up from time to time. I have a Sestroryetsk with an Austrian rear sight base.
TulaTom-YES!!! Now we're getting somewhere. Is the 8x50 still visible? Crossed out? Can you tell it was an 8mm If the Austrian markings have been scrubbed? Sorry for all the questions, but I really want one of these and would like to know what to look for at a gun show or even a flea market. The labor and machine time spent on one one rifle to convert to 8x50 and then back again, well, it's just interesting as hell! Indian
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

First of all, my memory is going. It wasn't my Sestroryetsk, but my Chatellerault.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... hp?t=21841

You mean the Austrian Schritt numbers on the sight base? Crossed out by the Finn's.

Another example.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/rearsightAustrian.JPG

Here's a thread you may find interesting.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... n-8x50-M91

Take special note of post #9. I can see the brazing in mine, but it's a bear to photograph.

Sorry about the response delay. Hope this helps.
Indian 44

Post by Indian 44 »

TulaTom- Thanks so much for your time. Very informative. One more question though. Can you see where the insert stops, or is it the length of the barrel with the rifling? Indian
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

All i can honestly see is the discoloration of the brazing material in the chamber end. I don't have it in front of me, but I don't remember seeing anything at the muzzle end, but mine was counter bored, which might be why?

I don't have any other Austrian traits on mine. The gold paint in the Schritt numbers is long gone if it was ever there. No AZF, JSE, or OE/WG stamp on the receiver, but it's my belief that the receiver was changed by the Finn's on mine. Mine does not retain the original Chatellerault receiver. They would have changed the ejector in the receiver to better fit the 7.62x54r round if the Austrian's had manipulated it for 8x50. I've never done a chamber cast, but the Austrian's were known to increase the length of the free bore. No Austrian sling swivels, etc. JPS is the one you need to talk to if you're looking for more information. I'm fairly certain he has the only known converted variation still in 8x50. His collection is drool worthy.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

How about the one on this forum?

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=24113
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

No idea how I missed this one. Very nice, Gurn! Thanks to racerguy for bringing this to my attention. Very cool. :vcool:
Indian 44

Post by Indian 44 »

WOW!!! Thanks to all that responded. I'll be looking closer at MN's from now on. And maybe an idea to fix my 1917 Remington. I'll post in restoring later. Thanks again- Indian