44 Tika 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Remiel

44 Tika 91/30

Post by Remiel »

So I am putting a 44 Tika 91-30 on layaway tomorrow at my LGS, It will cost me 325.00 but the bluing is 100% the bore is beautiful and its matching other than the butt plate and floor plate, the bad is the previous Bubba sanded the stock and true oiled it but its full of runs and drips, and he never removed the action so its on some of the metal, i'm hoping the Hoppes will get it off the metal but don't know what I am going to do with the stock, its not a 2 piece and I don't know what the original finish would have been, If memory serves its a pre-war w/ the screw in metal tabs, he also tossed the Finn Hangers too.
racerguy00

Re: 44 Tika 91/30

Post by racerguy00 »

I would have had to have passed based on the stock. These still turn up in the 300 range and sometimes less for an unmolested one.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

I'd pass. You can still find one that Bubba hasn't (effectively) destroyed as a collectible rifle.
JoeZ

Post by JoeZ »

I recently had a Tikka 91/30 come up locally, non bubba'd for 250. Non matching bolt. I was on the fence and it got away. I wasn't too heartbroken. Personally, I'd keep looking, but that's just me.
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

I could but the last time I passed one up(M38) it was months until I saw another mosin, and the last 2 shows i went to were slim to none and the slim were beat, saw a finn capture 91/30 at the last show and it looked like it was rode hard and put away wet tag on it was almost 400.00, most of whats is in my area is war time production at one LGS with worn out bores and a nice M44 for 375, unless i find one online, pay shipping and transfer fee, did that with the dragoon, all said and done a 250.00 purchase came to 300+ including gas to get said rifle from my ffl, so unless someone knows of one for the same or less that's unmolested w/ 95% plus blue and matching then let me know and I am willing to drive a reasonable distance.
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

djbuck1 wrote:I'd pass. You can still find one that Bubba hasn't (effectively) destroyed as a collectible rifle.
Point me in a direction and I will check it out
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Remiel wrote:
djbuck1 wrote:I'd pass. You can still find one that Bubba hasn't (effectively) destroyed as a collectible rifle.
Point me in a direction and I will check it out
Hey, if it was that easy, I'd buy it myself. :wink: Vigilance and perseverance.
thughes

Post by thughes »

Remiel wrote:I could but the last time I passed one up(M38) it was months until I saw another mosin, and the last 2 shows i went to were slim to none and the slim were beat, saw a finn capture 91/30 at the last show and it looked like it was rode hard and put away wet tag on it was almost 400.00, most of whats is in my area is war time production at one LGS with worn out bores and a nice M44 for 375, unless i find one online, pay shipping and transfer fee, did that with the dragoon, all said and done a 250.00 purchase came to 300+ including gas to get said rifle from my ffl, so unless someone knows of one for the same or less that's unmolested w/ 95% plus blue and matching then let me know and I am willing to drive a reasonable distance.
Something to consider: a C&R licence is only $30, takes 15 minutes to complete the application, usually is approved and sent within 4-6 weeks, is good for 3 years, and gets the firearm shipped right to your door step.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I just traded for one from another collector and they turn up fairly often on gunbroker and buy/sell boards online. c&r is the way to go.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I wouldn't pay that. Not if it's been molested; Poorly by the sounds of it.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

thughes wrote:
Remiel wrote:I could but the last time I passed one up(M38) it was months until I saw another mosin, and the last 2 shows i went to were slim to none and the slim were beat, saw a finn capture 91/30 at the last show and it looked like it was rode hard and put away wet tag on it was almost 400.00, most of whats is in my area is war time production at one LGS with worn out bores and a nice M44 for 375, unless i find one online, pay shipping and transfer fee, did that with the dragoon, all said and done a 250.00 purchase came to 300+ including gas to get said rifle from my ffl, so unless someone knows of one for the same or less that's unmolested w/ 95% plus blue and matching then let me know and I am willing to drive a reasonable distance.
Something to consider: a C&R licence is only $30, takes 15 minutes to complete the application, usually is approved and sent within 4-6 weeks, is good for 3 years, and gets the firearm shipped right to your door step.
NY does not recognize FFL03, and the number of places that will ship to a FFL03 in NY are few, I had started the paperwork when i found this out when trying to get my M39. only one who will ship are private individuals and so far haven't found one willing to part with the rifles I am looking for, hell i got lucky with the ex-dragoon.
thughes

Re: RE: Re: 44 Tika 91/30

Post by thughes »

Remiel wrote: NY does not recognize FFL03, and the number of places that will ship to a FFL03 in NY are few, I had started the paperwork when i found this out when trying to get my M39. only one who will ship are private individuals and so far haven't found one willing to part with the rifles I am looking for, hell i got lucky with the ex-dragoon.
Not sure where you got that information! I am a NY resident with an FFL 03 that has purchased dozens of rifles on my C&R. With the exception of CMP, I have never had any commercial or private seller refuse to sell because of my state of residence (including Classic, J&G, AIM, SOG, Samco, Simpsons, Empire, Mosin Crate, private sellers on Gunbroker, this and other forums, etc.). I know several members on this board that live in NY and purchase eligible firearms on a regular basis with their FFL03. You're really missing out if you continue to believe that misinformation you received about C&R in NY. Federal Firearm licence trumps Mr Cuomo and his "safe" act so get that paperwork in and start enjoying the benefits.

Disclaimer: The above reply is not relevant if you live within the boundaries of NYC.

I spoke with SOG customer service today about where they will or will not sell to. Their current policy is to ship to any licensed 01 FFL with the exception of Calif. or handguns in NY. They will ship to an 03 if the state recognizes it. What the licensee does with the firearm after it is received is not their business. It is the responsibility of the 01 FFL to know their state laws.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I agree. I have sold a few in New York with no problems. The only issue I have seen is that in some counties, especially the city, you must ship an antique to an FFL - C&R is ok.

I would pass on this rifle. You will regret purchasing it. If actually True Oil you will not be able to remove it from the stock. By the sounds of it, I don't think it was true oil unless it was applied not according to directions. And with your description of drips and runs, whatever was applied was done by an idiot. Heavily brushed on without disassembly - which means if there was grease on the stock, the finish should come off. But, too risky for me. Either way, the stock kills the deal for me. Just have patience, your gun will show up eventually.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I agree... The stock kills the deal for me as well.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

I can tell you that SOG won't ship to ny, I have been emailing them for over 2 years on ammo AND rifles and there customer service had shot it down even to my friend that's a 01 ffl, Aim and jg sales were not an issue in fact I like aim for their AR parts, but my County is one of those that think it's little nyc, we'll the state police do and sadly I have several as neighbors, we'll for now
thughes

Post by thughes »

Remiel wrote:I can tell you that SOG won't ship to ny, I have been emailing them for over 2 years on ammo AND rifles and there customer service had shot it down even to my friend that's a 01 ffl, Aim and jg sales were not an issue in fact I like aim for their AR parts, but my County is one of those that think it's little nyc, we'll the state police do and sadly I have several as neighbors, we'll for now
Good lord man, where in NY do you live? I have purchased 4 Yugo M48 Mausers from SOG in just the past 3 months and they happily shipped them directly to my doorstep in Western NY. Ammo? No. C&R eligible rifles? No problem! Sorry to hear you're getting bad info from their customer service folks.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Wow! You went a couple of months without seeing a Mosin? I have sometimes gone a year without buying one of the many that I see. I kind of suspect you are taking the answer no too easily and need to dig a little further and maybe deal with a different LGS that has different answers that you can live with a little better. I often hit the hinterlands of NY state and find many Mosins lying around dusty in real small local shops which I buy for my collection and I haven't had a C&R license for years. It has never seemed to hit as many dead ends as you are saying exist? JYD is a NY stater maybe he will enlighten us a bit here. Have things changed that much Jim? Help this fellow New Yorker out here a bit! Bill :?:

PS I too would pass on that rifle in that condition! I have sold about 5 of them in the last year and they all went about $250 or so in perfect shape and good shooters too.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Remiel wrote: NY does not recognize FFL03, and the number of places that will ship to a FFL03 in NY are few, I had started the paperwork when i found this out when trying to get my M39. only one who will ship are private individuals and so far haven't found one willing to part with the rifles I am looking for, hell i got lucky with the ex-dragoon.
"Not sure where you got that information! I am a NY resident with an FFL 03 that has purchased dozens of rifles on my C&R. With the exception of CMP, I have never had any commercial or private seller refuse to sell because of my state of residence (including Classic, J&G, AIM, SOG, Samco, Simpsons, Empire, Mosin Crate, private sellers on Gunbroker, this and other forums, etc.). I know several members on this board that live in NY and purchase eligible firearms on a regular basis with their FFL03. You're really missing out if you continue to believe that misinformation you received about C&R in NY. Federal Firearm licence trumps Mr Cuomo and his "safe" act so get that paperwork in and start enjoying the benefits.

Disclaimer: The above reply is not relevant if you live within the boundaries of NYC."

I spoke with SOG customer service today about where they will or will not sell to. Their current policy is to ship to any licensed 01 FFL with the exception of Calif. or handguns in NY. They will ship to an 03 if the state recognizes it. What the licensee does with the firearm after it is received is not their business. It is the responsibility of the 01 FFL to know their state laws.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

Picked up nice 91/30 finn listed as russian 91/30 from Poulins Fairfield me. Spring 2015. Bid against computer. Saw gun in person and decided that it was to take home. Used FFL03. They charge 17% premium. got a deal at todays prices.
Brdm2

Post by Brdm2 »

Tell me more about the C&r?