Fake spotted

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
NLMosin

Fake spotted

Post by NLMosin »

So here's a sniper rifle that someone showed me and went on and on that the guy who sold it to him in NC said there are lots of fakes out there but this one is the real deal.

Few suspicious things: Its a 1938 Izhevsk...The turret screws are not domed, the stop pins are long, and the import mark is partially under the mount. There is no scope number on the barrel shank but there are two arsenal marks where the numbers should be.

I did manage to take a pic of the scope and import mark with my cellphone.

So I searched through my archive of mosin pics I've collected I found something interesting. There is a company that makes an Airsoft version of the mosin PU sniper. The serial number on their fake scope is the same as the one on the rifle in question. How is it possible? See the picture.This scope must be from an Airsoft rifle? Or do the reproductions all have the same serial number on them and this is whats on the Airsoft?

When compared to the scopes in 'Ratniks PU Scope Collection' none of the 91/30 marks have this 90 degree orientation. I also find it interesting that the top adjustment knob is in the same position on the airsoft and the sniper in question.I know there are always extenuating circumstances with mosins that could discount any of my arguments, and please I am not pretending to be an expert, but when there are this many things 'wrong' its hard to not say this is a fake.

What do you guys think?
fakescope.jpg
airsoftad.jpg
pix883267752.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Fake spotted

Post by Darryl »

So, did you go back to him and tell him he has a FAKE?
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I'll push the info back through the crowd his way, but I'm sure it wont matter. Some people are always right whatever evidence they see.... :roll:

I will however if I ever see it for sale anywhere let the prospective buyers know. :thumbsup:
People live together.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The flat screws on the scope give it away as a repro.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

millman wrote:The flat screws on the scope give it away as a repro.
I agree, but I saw a post where someone said the screws on a scope 'might have been replaced but the scope is legit'. Thats why I try to find as much possible to make my argument. The fact that the two serials match identically cant be explained away...well not easily anyway.
People live together.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

The scope doesn't even fit in the equation, 1938 is all you need, PU's where only produced from 42-47.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

NLMosin wrote:So here's a sniper rifle that someone showed me and went on and on that the guy who sold it to him in NC said there are lots of fakes out there but this one is the real deal.
Your first sentence is a big red flag.

Fact is there's never a lack of shifty opportunist's... & a larger pool of those that buy the story.

If he still likes his 38 PU even after learning what it really is (or isn't); I say let it drop. We should do our part to share info yet allow the recipient do with it as they see fit.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"