Anyone else love Winchester white box?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
jrusoff

Anyone else love Winchester white box?

Post by jrusoff »

I've been trying out various types of ammo and was surprised by the accuracy I got from Winchester white box soft point hunting rounds. Has anyone else tried these? They were much more accurate than PP, S+B and Silver Bear. I picked them up on a whim when I was going to buddy's place to shoot. It was the only ammo in 7.62 that the local Big 5 had in stock. Then I tried it out and was shocked. I'm hoping to start hand loading for my mosin and wonder why this round would be so accurate. I'll have to buy some more and see if perhaps it's a tad larger or smaller than the other FMJ rounds. I'd suggest folks try it out and see how they like it. I just wish I understood exactly why it's so good for my rifle.
Jason
mogunner

Re: Anyone else love Winchester white box?

Post by mogunner »

I quit buying WWB after getting two 9mm rounds with no powder in one box. Gave the remaining half-box to a buddy that reloads, he pulled them down and found four more in the box. Maybe their quality control got better, maybe not. My favorite two Mosin's shoot the S&B very well.
dalefan88

Post by dalefan88 »

In my area you only have tulammo at Walmart to buy or spam cans at the gun show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

dalefan88 wrote:In my area you only have tulammo at Walmart to buy or spam cans at the gun show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I order mine in from Sportsmans guide when they have free shipping promotions.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have several boxes of Winchester in 7.62x54R, but at 23.00 a box when I bought it and sometimes more these days I am still sitting on it. I do like the brass and have reloaded Win brass with no problems at all.
jrusoff

Post by jrusoff »

Mogunner, I tried the S+B again this weekend and suspect it will shoot just as well as the Winchester, if I do my part. It had a few 3 shot groups under 1 MOA, but no five shot groups that tight. But again, I suspect it's more me than the gun or ammo. I made the plunge and bought dies and powder and bullets this weekend. So I'll start working out the best load for my gun.
Jason